logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jomeurphy37  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2020 12:56:27 AM(UTC)
jomeurphy37

Groups: Registered

Hi all,

I've been trying to work out a way to capture a 4 way Zoom call in the best possible quality and hit on the idea of capturing a second 4K monitor with the four speakers in a quad view. In theory this should mean that each quarter is close to 1080p in resolution (Zoom doesn't fill the frame so a bit of scaling is still required). Zoom's latest version allows multi-pinning now which is very helpful for keeping only four on screen and also allowing others to join in the background. Instead of an actual second monitor I've been testing using a ghost HDMI device which seems to be working nicely and was cheap as chips as well.

However, I'm having some trouble getting my head around the best way to capture the four quadrants of the screen in vMix in the best quality. In an idea world I'd want to be able to capture each of the four quarters as separate 1080p captures - that way any cropping or scaling would only apply to each video. However it seems vMix will only capture the full screen at UHD resolution so I've set it up with the main capture and then Virtual Inputs for each quadrant. This is ok except if I need to scale them down you still see the rest of the underlying video and the crop function no longer seems to work.

I wondered if adding a new 1080p source (an image say) and then adding the 4K screen capture on the Multi View would work but this seems to automatically scale the overlayed layer to the size of the 1080p image without affecting the Position values. That means it must be being scaled down already and would need scaling back up again to achieve each quarter view and causes a loss of image quality.

So, is there a way to either capture a region of the full 4K screen? Or a way to lock those Virtual Input versions of part of a larger screen capture to the cropped part of the image?

Thanks,
Joe