logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stevethornley  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2020 5:50:51 AM(UTC)
stevethornley

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Here's a weird one you bright vMix Users can put your thoughts to... please!

Running a really simple show on a Alienware m17 R3 pulling an NDI source from an, admittedly older, but still powerful enough, ASUS laptop playing a PowerPoint slideshow. Have used this laptop before countless times doing the same thing on a different network (here, I'm sure lies my problem) but I would like help to diagnose exactly what so I can design it out in the future.

SYMPTOM: NDI source only shows two thirds of the image, black pillar on the right hand side for the other third. Kind of like the image has shifted left by a third.

WHAT I DID: checked resolution on PowerPoint laptop was 1080. Check; Tried 'moving the image' to the right - it just brought in a blank third on the LHS.

I've used this laptop successfully doing same on the network in our studio. This was a mobile set-up in a social club:

I plugged our Cat5 directly into the Club's modem/router (BT Home Hub in the UK). We then put a Netgear GS305 5-port Gigabit switch on the end of this to service our 3 laptop set-up: 1. LiveStream (Alienware); 2. PowerPoint (Asus); 3. Ancillary/Redundancy (another Asus).

My guess is that it's something to do with the router and I had limited time to look at its settings.

But kind of weird that I get two thirds of a picture. I would be thinking that, if a network issue, I would get nothing at all / blank screen?

If anyone can shed some light on this mystery I would be very grateful.

And what does everyone else do on mobile gigs where you're going to plumb into the venue's router at some stage? I am by no means a network expert but I feel I'm going to have to become one if this kind of curved-ball comes my way every gig!

Thank you in anticipation.

Steve

ask  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2020 8:49:44 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Your PPoints are set in 4:3 mode. Try setting the orginal PPoint slide deck to 16:9
thanks 1 user thanked ask for this useful post.
stevethornley on 8/31/2020(UTC)
stevethornley  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2020 5:42:01 PM(UTC)
stevethornley

United Kingdom

Thanks for your suggestion Ask. Unfortunately not a solution. We were running PP in Presenter View and the 16:9 slides were displaying on our stage screen just fine. But the NDI feed via vMix Desktop Capture was having none of it.

Still a mystery...

ask  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2020 8:37:44 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
input settings.PNG (56kb) downloaded 0 time(s).Next thing to check is that the aspect ratio is set to widescreen on the input.
ChuckRogers  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2020 2:04:04 PM(UTC)
ChuckRogers

United States

I'm having the same issue but have found that it's only what is displayed on my third monitor, which I use for my full-screen mode. Whatever input I route to the monitor is 100% normal and full-sized. Same symptoms - it looks like the image shifts to the left leaving about 40% of the screen black on the right. I'm flummuxed..
stevethornley  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2020 11:46:18 PM(UTC)
stevethornley

United Kingdom

Hey Chuck - in a sense I'm glad I'm not the only one but I am sorry you are frustrated with this also.

I'm trying to buy myself some time in the studio so I can recreate the problem and post a video of the workflow for someone to nail it but we're so busy on jobs that I can't find this time!

Fortunately none of what we're busy with at the mo uses the same combination of gear and needs PP via NDI. But we will need it soon and I'd rather not have to come out of the PP laptop via HDMI and convert - that's nowhere near as succinct a solution as NDI via CAT5.

Anyone else have a view?

Steve
mavik  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2020 2:31:45 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
There is a PPT to NDI tool available. It can also take out the PPT background giving you just the data/text (if this is needed). You load the ppt and the tool outputs a NDI stream of it. The downside is that you have to click in the same pace as the presenter and need a view onto the big display.

You also could present online in powerpoint. This will generate a link that you could ingest as a webpage. A little bit cropping and scaling and you are done. Third option is to loop in a NDI encoder at the presentation side.
ChuckRogers  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2020 4:21:41 AM(UTC)
ChuckRogers

United States

I was originally trying to bring a zoom session into vMix via desktop capture. I created a new input - NDI Desktop Capture and chose monitor 1 (I use three monitors and #2 is my main, # 3 is audio and call manager etc -I typically use #1 for fullscreen of the program feed).. I had started a zoom meeting and had it full screen in #1 monitor (not using monitor 1 for vMix at all in this scenario) and found that desktop capture was only showing a portion of the zoom screen. I thought at first it was a zoom problem but then found out through trial and error that it had nothing to do with zoom and it happened with any image on monitor #1. I can desktop capture the other two monitrs with no problem. I will experiment some more in the next couple of days - maybe switch my monitor sequence and see if that makes a difference.