logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ElBurrito  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2020 3:13:30 AM(UTC)
ElBurrito

Groups: Registered

This is going to be primarily for streaming sports and this is what I need it to do-

- Up to six SDI inputs, up to one NDI input. Up to two SDI output, up to two NDI outputs.

- Four camera instant replay.

- Stream and record at 1080p60.

- Three or four monitors out via the graphics card for multi-view, 2nd screen for replay, program.

This is what I have. I'd like this one to be in rack case, only built PCs in towers in the past, so not sure if this will fit or what adjustments if any would need to be made for a rack case. Is there anything about that that won't work as far as available slots/incompatibilities, etc? Overkill build, or need it to be more powerful?

- Intel Core i9-10900X 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor
- Gigabyte X299X AORUS MASTER EATX LGA2066 Motherboard
- Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card
- G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
- Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (x3)
- Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
- Decklink Quad 2

What do I need to do in terms of cooling? Any rack case recs? Thanks.
SportsNetUSA.net  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2020 3:36:47 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Make sure the cooler you want to use will fit the rack case.
thanks 1 user thanked SportsNetUSA.net for this useful post.
ElBurrito on 8/19/2020(UTC)
ElBurrito  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2020 1:07:53 AM(UTC)
ElBurrito

Originally Posted by: SportsNetUSA.net Go to Quoted Post
Make sure the cooler you want to use will fit the rack case.

Does that build work?
nomski  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2020 10:01:43 PM(UTC)
nomski

I can confirm that this will NOT work.

This is going to be primarily for streaming sports and this is what I need it to do-

- Up to six SDI inputs - no problem
- up to one NDI input - no problem
- Up to two SDI output - bit of a problem. vMix does not like using it's external output
- up to two NDI outputs - definitely a problem if used in conjunction with the above output these are an either or not a both

- Four camera instant replay - no problem but not at the same time as the above items

- Stream and record at 1080p60 - no problem but but not at the same time as above

- Three or four monitors out via the graphics card for multi-view, 2nd screen for replay, program - you only get 2 fullscreen outputs. If you're fine with just the built in multi-views it's fine, if you want something a bit more specific then you need to do some pretty serious fiddling. We're now in a very shoehorned scenario.

I know this won't work because it's not far from our setup and we have had to offboard the streaming, recording and NDI encoding in order to get a render time low and consistent enough to not suffer major audio and video glitches. If you don't mind semi-regular glitches then the system will do what you've described. Personally that kind of stuff is unacceptable on our streams so we've had to make the appropriate measures.

Hope this helps, feel free to message me for any info.
ElBurrito  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2020 9:38:31 AM(UTC)
ElBurrito

Originally Posted by: nomski Go to Quoted Post
I can confirm that this will NOT work.

- Up to six SDI inputs - no problem
- up to one NDI input - no problem
- Up to two SDI output - bit of a problem. vMix does not like using it's external output
- up to two NDI outputs - definitely a problem if used in conjunction with the above output these are an either or not a both

- Four camera instant replay - no problem but not at the same time as the above items

- Stream and record at 1080p60 - no problem but but not at the same time as above

- Three or four monitors out via the graphics card for multi-view, 2nd screen for replay, program - you only get 2 fullscreen outputs. If you're fine with just the built in multi-views it's fine, if you want something a bit more specific then you need to do some pretty serious fiddling. We're now in a very shoehorned scenario.

I know this won't work because it's not far from our setup and we have had to offboard the streaming, recording and NDI encoding in order to get a render time low and consistent enough to not suffer major audio and video glitches. If you don't mind semi-regular glitches then the system will do what you've described. Personally that kind of stuff is unacceptable on our streams so we've had to make the appropriate measures.

Hope this helps, feel free to message me for any info.

I've never heard that about the external output. Seems like a lot of people do that? Like to send it out to a recorder or LiveU or something?

When you say either or, you meaen either SDI out OR NDI out?

So four camera instant replay can't actually be done then? Because I have to have some kind of output.

Must offload streaming and recording to something else? (But how if I can't send an output?)

So I can only have basically the main vMix screen plus one other screen out from the graphics card? How do others get more (just by using more machines)? I basically just NEED the regular vMix screen + a regular multi-view + a monitor for replay full-screen. Not possible?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. :-|
nomski  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2020 8:23:21 PM(UTC)
nomski

They're not dumb questions at all. It's difficult because we're always relying on the PC and software as opposed to hardware based systems. For example Excel has the ability to show literally millions of cells. However, if you put a complex equation in each one then your PC would fail immediately. These limitations are sadly a bit trial and error and we've done enough trials and errors for everyone.

We currently use the external output to go to a recorder, a LiveU and send out a clean feed for a separate replay machine. This offloads that processing to hardware kit that can handle it no problem. As a result of sending this off board we get a pretty major drop in render times and therefore get a more reliable audio and video feed. I.e. no glitches.

The external outputs go to a 20x20 matrix which then means we can get the feed to where we need it, this includes going to an NDI encoder so that we can fire it around the network. This is then another thing that the vMix PC doesn't need to worry about dealing with. The affect of using the external output is around 7-8ms extra render time, and each NDI output is probably 5 or so. However, when we have external and NDI switched on we get a lot more random spikes in render time and that gives us the glitchiness. Some of the glitches we experienced were so bad they lasted up to a second of frozen video and aphex twin style audio.

4 camera replays can be done but we currently take our sdi cameras into a 20x20 matrix first which means we can send 3 of them plus the clean program out to the replay PC. The replay PC deals with the 4 camera replays and is a relatively low spec machine so doesn't need anything to chunky. That PC send the replays to the main PC over NDI and that is the only output it has so deals with it ok.

If your graphics card has 4 outputs then you're all good with the outputs that you have. vMix does to full screen outputs from the graphics card and you can use the other two as normal windows desktops for vMix main control and replay control. The reason we've run into problems is that we wanted a preview screen, program screen, two multi views and a control screen which can't really be done. We've ended up feeding the program screen from the matrix which means we always know if the feed to the recorder and encoder is stable and then used NVIDIA surround to merge two screens into one and then vMix thinks it's just one screen not two. Very faffy, hacky and workaroundy, but it works! Also, our multi views are custom layouts that are triggered from our graphics package for tally etc. so we can have 18 inputs on the multi views and then have separate monitors for preview and program.