logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
carlofornasari  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2019 4:03:35 PM(UTC)
carlofornasari

Groups: Registered
Australia

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Folks,

I currently run a rack mount PC for vmix with decent specs and good cooling and it performs great.

I now need to get a kit that I can throw into a pelican and fly around with. (It will also be a good backup incase my main vmix rack is faulty)

I am looking at laptops, but all the laptops seem to have low base clock speeds, less than 3ghz.

In the Vmix specs, it's recommended that the clock speed is over 3ghz.

While they all turbo up to 4.5ghz, is all a bit of BS because they can't perform to those levels more than a few seconds.

Some say that the latest 8th & 9th gen i7 & i9 processors run better than the older ones, so I might be fine with a lower clock speed machine.

Planning on up to 8 SDI HD inputs via decklink in a TB3 enclosure, another 4 HD NDI inputs or maybe using 8 NDI inputs.

I would also need 1-2 channels of replay.

The laptops still seem to have high spec graphics on board RTX2080 etc

Question is,

Would I be shooting myself in the foot by getting a machine with a i7 9750H with only a 2.6ghz clock speed?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
sinc747  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 29, 2019 10:34:02 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
For your desired purpose of 8 HD-SDI inputs, 4-8 NDI inputs and Replay... better stay away from a laptop and go with your rackmount in a travel case.

- Tom
PxlPht  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2020 12:32:57 AM(UTC)
PxlPht

Bahrain

I have a ruby system buitt in 2018 and I read you are looking for a rackmount, can you share your progress?

I am looking for a case that fits a mobile rackmount from skb/gator/pelican, but I couldn't find the one with right depth.
reezyfasheezy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 13, 2020 1:44:52 AM(UTC)
reezyfasheezy

United States

I have a 2020 HP omen 17 laptop with the new I7-10750H (2.6 GHz base, turbo boost to 5 GHz) and RTX 2060. With 8 vMix calls and around 36 inputs (mix of videos and titles) 1 stream and local recording at 1080p 29.97, my CPU according to task manager is hovering around 25-30% usage with around 4.20 GHz constant speed.
stevethornley  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 14, 2020 2:55:21 AM(UTC)
stevethornley

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
That is impressive reezyfasheezy - I'm looking at exactly this laptop for a mobile set-up.

May I ask what are you using for your camera inputs. Most of the thunderbolt enclosures I was looking at are either discontinued or ludicrously expensive. Need a mixture of SDI/HDMI, max of 4.

Thank you.

Steve

reezyfasheezy  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 14, 2020 11:12:33 AM(UTC)
reezyfasheezy

United States

Steve,

I am not using any cameras, only vMix calls, videos, titles and multiviews. According to the vMix specs I should be able to run 4 sdi 1080p cameras comfortably, while streaming and recording at the same.