logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
grantcoll  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 26, 2020 2:58:29 PM(UTC)
grantcoll

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
When streaming over more than one stream, eg Stream1 and Stream2, it would be really great if we could select separate Network Adaptors for each.

so, eg Stream1 might be 720p and I would select Ethernet Network
and Stream2 might be 480p and I would select Wifi Network.

That way, each stream is going over separate paths to enable resilience and durability when the internet fluctuates.

Also, it would allow greater bandwidth, as it puts some load on direct ethernet connection and some on the Wifi.

Note: I am aware that if the streams were going to different places, this could be done in routing, but the case I am thinking of is where they both go to the same place, but different resolutions and bitrates.
ask  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 26, 2020 4:22:16 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Originally Posted by: grantcoll Go to Quoted Post
When streaming over more than one stream, eg Stream1 and Stream2, it would be really great if we could select separate Network Adaptors for each.

so, eg Stream1 might be 720p and I would select Ethernet Network
and Stream2 might be 480p and I would select Wifi Network.

That way, each stream is going over separate paths to enable resilience and durability when the internet fluctuates.

Also, it would allow greater bandwidth, as it puts some load on direct ethernet connection and some on the Wifi.

Note: I am aware that if the streams were going to different places, this could be done in routing, but the case I am thinking of is where they both go to the same place, but different resolutions and bitrates.

AFAIK this is not possible because of the default behaviour of networking in Windows. You can set the priority of the NIC, but that then sends internet traffic over that nic.

https://www.windowscentr...work-adapters-windows-10

grantcoll  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2020 5:48:58 PM(UTC)
grantcoll

Which is the reason that it is a feature request, because currently the default applies. With software, it is possible to select network connections. So, a development in vMix could enable this. If you know about gateway addressing, or simply timing of the first connection, there are many ways to route within windows.
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2020 6:54:35 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Quote:
there are many ways to route within windows

Yes and it's so easy to set your routing table so that vMix will do exactly what you want. So why don't you?
mavik  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2020 12:30:01 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Yes, absolutely possible. Very easy. Two approaches.
1. Define routes in windows cmd: route add
2. Define routes in your router if that is capable of multiple WAN connections. Kid easy with a Mikrotik device.

You have to resolve the target streaming server and based on that IP you set a route using a different gateway.
grantcoll  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2020 9:32:40 PM(UTC)
grantcoll

Originally Posted by: DWAM Go to Quoted Post
Quote:

Yes and it's so easy to set your routing table so that vMix will do exactly what you want. So why don't you?

Because having it as a feature makes the selection, and activation so much more adaptable, and error free. Updating, and changing windows route table is tricky, and when you are set up on a scaffold, or out in the wind and rain, it would be much more reasonable to do this from a picklist in vMix, than rewriting route tables. (They are not always the same when you plug in your devices, so you can't simply script your changes).

A better question is wouldn't this make vMix a better product. The answer is yes, more complete, for a wider range of various technical people, and a significant advantage over other audio video mixers.
grantcoll  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2020 9:33:46 PM(UTC)
grantcoll

Originally Posted by: mavik Go to Quoted Post
Yes, absolutely possible. Very easy. Two approaches.
1. Define routes in windows cmd: route add
2. Define routes in your router if that is capable of multiple WAN connections. Kid easy with a Mikrotik device.

You have to resolve the target streaming server and based on that IP you set a route using a different gateway.

And if your destinations are to the same IP ? Neither of your solutions work.
lmcseveny  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 4, 2020 2:24:45 PM(UTC)
lmcseveny

Australia

Originally Posted by: DWAM Go to Quoted Post
Quote:

Hi, I have this same need due to internet speed issues at my end, but I'm a novice – I've only just explored my route table for the first time.

Is there a place you can refer me to for an explanation of identifying which IP address refers to which stream (Facebook/youtube/vmixcall etc.), so that I can distribute the load across my two internet connections?

Much appreciated.
grantcoll  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 4, 2020 2:32:47 PM(UTC)
grantcoll

You find the IP address simply by pinging a part of the URL you are streaming to. But, you will likely run into trouble long term, or just around the corner, as companies ingesting, will return different IP depending on their load, and/or what they determine is the nearest or best point. Then when you have the IP, you need to modify your routing table to either make the IP the only, or change the Metric for each, start each stream individually, and then move on to the next.

The complexity of this was the reason that I created this post in the Feature Requests. So the best thing you can do is to add a +1 and support a feature that allows us to select the network connection in vMix for each stream, where we enter the URL.
thanks 1 user thanked grantcoll for this useful post.
lmcseveny on 8/4/2020(UTC)
lmcseveny  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 4, 2020 3:41:11 PM(UTC)
lmcseveny

Australia

+ 1