logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ddywz  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2020 4:40:32 AM(UTC)
ddywz

Groups: Registered
United States

Wanted to bring this up and see if anyone has a different view on this bandwidth consumed. We have a 4G LTE router with Verizon and a 22GB monthly data plan. After that you get throttled to 600Kbps speeds. On top of this we have a cell phone that has 10GB monthly data plan.

Because not much data usage is left on router (before the monthly resets) I decided to use the phone today with USB tethering with the streaming PC. I had set the data usage and monitoring on the phone and the bar was at 0.34GB used for the cycle. Before I started I did a test speed and I got:

50mbps-download speed
25mbps-upload speed

So far so good. I then set the stream parameters to Youtube 1080p/29.97-6mbps-ACC-128. I streamed for ~1hour with no issues. When I was done and disconnected the stream, turned off USB tethering and disconnected the phone from PC. I see that the phone data usage shows 4.3 GB. I need to understand what is consuming the other data...

Someone tell me if my math is right:

6mbps=0.75MBps. In one hour I would consume 0.75x3600=2700MB=2.63GB(I'm doing the math with 1024)

Now, I had 3 inputs during streaming 1xVideo source + 2 x mics, so I take it that all three of these were pumping data combined @6mbps as the stream settings are. In addition I had another audio output using VB-cable to send audio stream to zoom meeting so users could listen to audio only. (Would this consume the difference)

Trying to figure out 2.63GB that I expected to use vs 4.3GB that the phone is telling me I used. (There was no other activity on the phone during this time)

Thanks,
Vince Beck  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2020 11:51:59 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
The only data used is what you are streaming out and any VMix calls. It doesn’t matter how many inputs you have. Note that that was your video bandwidth, audio is separate, although usually low.

Was Zoom on that same data line?

Were you also previewing the stream on that same line?
ddywz  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2020 12:25:18 PM(UTC)
ddywz

United States

Hi Vince Beck, thanks for the reply. Yes, zoom audio line was going on same data line. I only had the you tube live studio where I was watching the stream health and participants. On top left you tube displays a preview of the feed that comes in. Yes, I was watching that. I don't think there's an option to not watch the preview. Is it?

I did not play from youtube the link at the same time which would be data download at that point.

Thanks,
Vince Beck  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2020 4:20:48 PM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
That probably accounts for the difference in data consumption. One thing you could do is watch the stats on your phone instead which would not affect your hotspot plan,
thanks 1 user thanked Vince Beck for this useful post.
ddywz on 8/3/2020(UTC)
ddywz  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 3, 2020 6:16:36 AM(UTC)
ddywz

United States

I kept the live stream room closed during the broadcast today and yes, the total consumed was 2.81GB for 1 hour streaming. This is good. I watched the stats from my phone, using other data plan and not that of the livestream. It appears that the feed that sends audio to zoom is not consuming much.

I'm glad this resolved the difference on the data consumption.

Thanks,