logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mixmexmax  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 19, 2020 7:29:51 AM(UTC)
mixmexmax

Groups: Registered
Germany

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi all,
today I have prepared a show we are running in august several times. Potential problem: I am maxing out the network on the VMix computer and am thinking on how to reduce the traffic a bit. I could use some suggestions.
I´ll explain what ndi-streams are going on in the setup:
On the input side I have 4 computers with two screens each plus two single screen-computer. All 10 screens are going into vmix by vmix desktop capture, they are 1080p. From VMix I am using all 4 outputs. Output 3 and 4 are going to 5 computers each. All four outputs are going back to VMix inputs, so that I can do a kind of submixing. Then I have two webpages as inputs, but they do not cause much traffic. So if I summarize, I have 14 NDI input streams and 14 output streams in 1080p.

Two ideas are in my head:
Is there any other way to get the vmix outputs back in vmix apart from ndi (and sdi out/in, I would need an 8-port card, only have a 4 port)?
And the other idea is: Could I use multicast to split the outputs going to multiple computers in the switch rather than sending them unicast to every computer? How would I do that?

Oh, I discovered a topic "Has anyone got a working ndi setup yet" : Although ressource monitor shows 100% network load and the ndi streams are a bit choppy when there is motion on all sources, it works.
Pretty astonishing.
Regards,
Mike
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 19, 2020 9:06:29 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Check Zen Computer NDI Router

or

Buy a 10 Gbits NIC
RichDanby  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 19, 2020 10:21:31 PM(UTC)
RichDanby

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 24 post(s)
If you are doing full screen capture I'd try out using NDI Scan Converter to see if it's output is any different than vMix desktop capture. I don't know if it will be any different but there is a chance one option might be more efficient for desktop capture. In either case, reduce the frame rate to match your project if you are doing under 60P

Zen Computers' NDI Rtx might help if you want to use another machine to take on the load of splitting the NDI outputs to multiple machines.

vMix input of it's own NDI output shouldn't hit your network card.

In the hamburger menu at the bottom right of vMix you can run vMix NDI Config and enable UDP - I'm not sure if the is Multicast UDP but would be worth a try. If you have NDI tools installed then Access Manager also has multicast options.

The easy option is add a 10gig network card - or, if you stay on TCP, even a second gigabit card to the network should help now NDI can use multiple paths.

mjgraves  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2020 9:05:18 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Add a NIC to your vMix host and run a second Ethernet cable to the switch. NDI automatically link aggregates. If you had saturated your lone NIC the problem will be solved.