logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thom0422  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2020 3:06:04 AM(UTC)
thom0422

Groups: Registered
United States

I have connected an external laptop generating Playback PRO in to a BMD Intensity Shuttle video capture card and then connected the capture card to my iMac where I have vMix via a Thunderbolt 2 connection. I do not see that source coming up anywhere on my Input Selector. What am I dong wrong?
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2020 3:17:49 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Make sure all resolutions and framerates are matching everywhere...
But such a workflow is really not ideal, this card is not well supported, the Mac is obviously not a reliable choice for vMix and the use of playback pro is weird when vMix can natively play almost any video file... Wouldn't it be more rational to just use vMix?
thom0422  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2020 3:23:49 AM(UTC)
thom0422

United States

Thanks for the speedy reply. I understand your concerns about PB Pro, but I am just using that as an example of bringing in an external laptop feed in to Vmix via a Capture Card that has audio and video. What Input Source option to you use to bring in a video capture card? I am new to vMix and just do not see it listed anywhere.
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2020 3:28:45 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
vMix website lists all recommended capture cards, it's easy to find

NDI is the easiest solution to capture another computer into vMix. Using capture cards for this is just history...
dmwkr  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2020 3:39:17 AM(UTC)
dmwkr

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 107 post(s)
Originally Posted by: thom0422 Go to Quoted Post
I do not see that source coming up anywhere on my Input Selector. What am I dong wrong?

I think I've read it before that somebody trying to capture a computer did not find the "Computer" input. For vMix, it's a "Camera" input. There you'll find the connected capture devices.

And, as DWAM noted, try NDI for the capture.
zenvideo  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2020 3:53:31 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
I have connected an external laptop generating Playback PRO in to a BMD Intensity Shuttle video capture card and then connected the capture card to my iMac where I have vMix via a Thunderbolt 2 connection. I do not see that source coming up anywhere on my Input Selector. What am I dong wrong?

Before you start looking for what might be wrong in vMix, have you tried using Blackmagic's own Media Express capture software? If you can't see the incoming video in there either, then your problem is outside of vMix. Fix that first before trying to use it in vMix. If it is working in Media Express, make a note of the Project Setting resolution/framerate that worked in Media Express, and use those same settings when adding the Shuttle as an input in vMix.

Coincidentally, I have just had a Intensity Shuttle connected to vMix within the last half hour, to test it either as a Camera input or an External output - both modes worked fine, although I did have to select the Decklink option in the External device settings, rather than the Shuttle which also shows as an entry in the menu.
thom0422  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2020 5:16:46 AM(UTC)
thom0422

United States

Great info. I have downloaded the Media Express software and at least I now see the Intensity Shuttle option appearing in my Camera input menu. However, no audio or video is coming through. What settings did you use to get the audio and video to pass through?
elvis55  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2020 5:45:42 AM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
BlackmagicDesktopVideoUtility - installiert?

Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle

Settings are the same in USB3 or Thunderbolt.
I use the USB3 version without any problems.
thom0422  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2020 6:08:11 AM(UTC)
thom0422

United States

Thanks for the video link. When you are using the hardware, do you need to have Media Express running? Sorry, but this is all a bit confusing to me!
elvis55  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2020 6:26:41 AM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

Media Express does NOT have to be running. Would conflict with vMix.
You need BlackmagicDesktopVideoUtility to make settings as shown in the video.

Support Center
thom0422  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2020 6:40:12 AM(UTC)
thom0422

United States

Thank you for all the info. I do have the Desktop utility running, and I do see the Shuttle as an input device. However I am not getting audio and video to pass through. When I open up Media Express I DO get audio and video, so I know that the source is making its way through the capture card. Just don't understand why vMix is not seeing it.
elvis55  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2020 6:46:20 AM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

siehe Post von Zenvideo
zenvideo  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2020 1:43:12 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Thank you for all the info. I do have the Desktop utility running, and I do see the Shuttle as an input device. However I am not getting audio and video to pass through. When I open up Media Express I DO get audio and video, so I know that the source is making its way through the capture card. Just don't understand why vMix is not seeing it.

The Desktop utility (control panel) is just for selecting input settings and a few other things, so once you've used it I'd suggest closing it again before accessing the device in vMix. Perhaps you can post a screen grab of the Settings box for the Camera input when you are adding the Shuttle as a source, and also tell us what the connected input signal is (eg 1080p30)?

gentlydoesit  
#14 Posted : Sunday, September 6, 2020 11:53:19 PM(UTC)
gentlydoesit

United Kingdom

Like Thom0422, I'm capturing using the Intensity Shuttle (HDMI from BMD Television Studio) via USB3 into a beefy PC (i9-9900K, 32GB). OBS and Media Express both show footage coming through... although OBS gives us the 'max audio buffer' issue so I'm searching for alternatives. VMIX offered a trial version and last week's live service went out ok. This week the input from Intensity Shuttle never arrived... 15 minutes before going live is not a nice place to be starting to google for solutions. Hours after the event finished, I uninstalled and reinstalled VMIX. The first run after that it worked again. The second time it didnt show up again. Thankfully the BMD WebPresenter allowed me to capture some 720 footage from the event and that's now uploaded. If this isnt a VMIX issue...
And, UPDATE!, indeed it is...
https://www.vmix.com/knowledgebase/article.aspx/38/is-the-intensity-shuttle-usb-30-supported
Short answer, no go...
tomtailford  
#15 Posted : Sunday, September 20, 2020 7:31:39 PM(UTC)
tomtailford

It's strange gentlydoesit has had issues, but Thom0422 is using it fine.

I was considering using the BMD Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 with a laptop (i9/2070/32gb) purely as an input/capture device - however if it's not reliable I might forget that!!

Did you do any more investigating or not going to bother using it?
gentlydoesit  
#16 Posted : Sunday, September 20, 2020 9:53:45 PM(UTC)
gentlydoesit

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: tomtailford Go to Quoted Post
It's strange gentlydoesit has had issues, but Thom0422 is using it fine.

I was considering using the BMD Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 with a laptop (i9/2070/32gb) purely as an input/capture device - however if it's not reliable I might forget that!!

Did you do any more investigating or not going to bother using it?

Strange is the name of the game here it seems. We just happened to have a BMD Web Presenter so, although that's 720 max, we can use that until we buy our way out of the issue... best option seems to be the BMD ATEM Mini Pro. That removes software streaming randomness. We used to rely on Teradek Vidiu until that started randomly logging us out. Re. the shuttle, it seems to work ok for capturing off tape, which is why we got it, just streaming could be a problem. Nice laptop BTW!