logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tom75  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2020 4:05:26 PM(UTC)
Tom75

Groups: Registered
Switzerland

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It would be useful to be able to use a shortcut to change audio channels for an output.

A use case would be that if I have several callers in and they'd like to talk first with each other before the actual presentation starts, they would be on a separate audio bus. Once the live stream starts, I would change the output audio channel so that the audio of the callers is then going into the live stream.
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2020 8:06:30 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Tom75

Unless I have misunderstood your use case, this is already possible with the Shortcuts "AudioBus", "AudioBusOn" and "AudioBusOff".

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
McQuel on 8/4/2020(UTC)
Tom75  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2020 8:49:52 PM(UTC)
Tom75

Switzerland

Thanks Ice, but from what you describe I see I can toggle the audio bus for inputs, but not for outputs.

A picture should help to show what I'm trying to achieve. The change of what audio channel is being sent on an output is what I'd like to set via shortcut. If I miss anything, please let know.

changeAudioOutput.png (42kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

thanks 1 user thanked Tom75 for this useful post.
McQuel on 8/4/2020(UTC)
Peter1000  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2020 12:10:56 AM(UTC)
Peter1000

Switzerland

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 54 post(s)
We do that with the inputs. It's easy to use a few script commands or shortcuts to detach the caller audio from the master. With a streamdeck controller this is even done by pressing a button, releasing it will turn the audio back on.

if you are really from switzerland, you can send me a PM.
Tom75  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 3, 2020 3:02:45 AM(UTC)
Tom75

Switzerland

Thanks Peter, well understood. However this looks more like a workaround. While having a fixed setup this is a one time thing to set up, still it's not the straight forward way.

Technically I assume this is not a big thing to implement and would add value to the shortcut possibilities.
sinc747  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 3, 2020 10:02:47 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Tom,

Maybe Tim's video would give you some ideas on this.

https://www.vmix.com/kno...n-talkback-for-vmix-call
thanks 1 user thanked sinc747 for this useful post.
McQuel on 8/4/2020(UTC)
McQuel  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 3, 2020 10:48:39 AM(UTC)
McQuel

Man
Cote d'Ivoire

Great! I am about to start using vmixcall and this is what i have battled with for 2 days.
I am sure it will help
richardgatarski  
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 13, 2021 12:16:35 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
+1 (for a shortcut like SetOutputAudioChannels, SetOutput1AudioChannels..., or SetOutputXAudioChannels)

I have (of course) read the discussion above and do understand that workarounds are sometimes possible. (@doggy: I've also searched for an existing Shortcut but did not find any ;)

My main use case is similar to Tom75's. The difference is that we want to start streaming with video and audio some time before the event program starts. This to build traffic and allow our team and the viewers to confirm that they can see and hear the live stream. Typically we air a still image with some music, or video clip(s).

Master audio has some specific characteristics compared to other buses. And, as many of us know, managing complex audio with house mikes, external audio mixers, vMix calls, Zoom integration, VT-rolls, talkback/IFB, etc is a challenge in itself. Hence we need to perform last minute fixes on Master audio. So, before we go live with pre-program we can MANUALLY switch Output Audio channels to BUSX (e.q. with music on it) and fix things on Master without risking that unwanted audio is sent to the viewers. And then of course MANUALLY switch Output Audio channels back to Master when we are ready to start the program. But since manual is the only option, we can't include those steps in our scripts.

After all, it is possible to manually select which audio goes to Output, 2, 3, and 4. It would not only be very useful, but also logical, to also have Shortcuts for that functionality.

Thanks.
mkrigsman  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2021 12:38:50 PM(UTC)
mkrigsman

+1
Andreas O  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2022 2:31:14 AM(UTC)
Andreas O

Norway

I also need this.

We're using Teams for video callins. Mainly I want to give them the studio mics on BUS A. But when we're playing back a VT, sometimes they want to listen in and I want to give them BUS M. This is possible in the interface, but not possible to script or set to a Companion key. I'd prefer this to be a quick toggle instead of having to dive into a menu, because oftentimes they're on right after the VT.
Andreas O  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2022 2:39:20 AM(UTC)
Andreas O

Norway

Originally Posted by: Andreas O Go to Quoted Post
I also need this.

We're using Teams for video callins. Mainly I want to give them the studio mics on BUS A. But when we're playing back a VT, sometimes they want to listen in and I want to give them BUS M. This is possible in the interface, but not possible to script or set to a Companion key. I'd prefer this to be a quick toggle instead of having to dive into a menu, because oftentimes they're on right after the VT.

A quick addin - we might have 7 or 8 different VTs so routing them all to BUS A is a workaround, but it's labor intensive and easy to forget.

What I'm doing now kinda works, too. I use Audio: Route input to Bus with input= "-1" on a button in Companion I call "Current live" which at least lets me solve quick.
sunkast  
#12 Posted : Saturday, February 19, 2022 7:15:26 AM(UTC)
sunkast

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
+1

I was just looking to see if there was an API function for this today. I've been working on building a new workflow to allow separate programming to go out on a live stream but not have it affect any other part of a production.

My use case is similar to others. I want to be able to start a live stream 5 or 10 minutes before a show with a "stream starting soon" video playing that only the live stream sees and and hears. But then be able to talk to guests to help set them up without anything else being sent to the live stream until I "flip a switch." There really is no simple way to do currently that I know of without a complicated bus setup and switching outputs. I wish there was a simpler way to accomplish having a "stream is starting" video playing to a live stream that doesn't affect any other part of production.
mgrayeb  
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 20, 2022 4:21:48 AM(UTC)
mgrayeb

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
+1