logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EliYahu  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 2:04:18 PM(UTC)
EliYahu

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
We run a live Q & A session and would like to start using vMix's video call system instead of Skype, which is now too stripped down to meet our needs.

Is it possible to use vMix Video call function like a radio call in program, only it's through video? I would like to set up a link on a web page for people to click, to speak with them when we're ready, and additional callers coming into a queue, which can then be accessed after the first caller is finished.

Can this work, and if it can.. how do I set it up to run this way?

Thanks,

EliYahu
Josemite  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 2:17:19 PM(UTC)
Josemite

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: EliYahu Go to Quoted Post
We run a live Q & A session and would like to start using vMix's video call system instead of Skype, which is now too stripped down to meet our needs.

Is it possible to use vMix Video call function like a radio call in program, only it's through video? I would like to set up a link on a web page for people to click, to speak with them when we're ready, and additional callers coming into a queue, which can then be accessed after the first caller is finished.

Can this work, and if it can.. how do I set it up to run this way?

Thanks,

EliYahu

I'm brand new to this, but we've being doing this with Vmix Call.

Just 'ADD Input' scroll to the bottom to 'Video Call'. Then you add a new input for each caller. Then the video caller can just go to the website Vmixcall.com and they put in the their name and code.

Heads up, it's not using all the tricks that Zoom & Skype use to make stop people from talking over each other. So, you might need to play with noise gates and other settings for that caller, so you won't hear a caller typing on a keyboard.
thanks 1 user thanked Josemite for this useful post.
EliYahu on 6/25/2020(UTC)
greggibson  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2020 5:35:52 AM(UTC)
greggibson

United States

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Keep in mind that vMix is limited to 8 vMixCallers in the pro version. If a 9th caller logs in that caller will bump whoever is on that input offline.

Some have mentioned gnural.net software as a possiblity for call in queueing.
thanks 1 user thanked greggibson for this useful post.
EliYahu on 6/30/2020(UTC)
EliYahu  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2020 12:19:03 PM(UTC)
EliYahu

Thanks Josemite. Do I have to set up a different code for every caller? I would rather someone just be able to click a link and it lets them and whoever else call into the studio, automatically placing them in a queue.

Thanks Gregg, I won't need more than probably 3-4 callers at a time. I will look into that web site nonetheless.
Josemite  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 9:54:29 AM(UTC)
Josemite

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: EliYahu Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Josemite. Do I have to set up a different code for every caller? I would rather someone just be able to click a link and it lets them and whoever else call into the studio, automatically placing them in a queue.

Thanks Gregg, I won't need more than probably 3-4 callers at a time. I will look into that web site nonetheless.

Sorry late to reply, didn't see this.

The way I have it, is I have 4 reoccurring panelist & I give them each their own dedicated code and I save those 'vMix Caller' inputs as part of a vMix preset (so I won't lose them). These regular panelist use these their own dedicated codes each week. Then for new temporary guest, I create a new code and close the last one. As I don't want to risk some boomer guest from a prior stream using it the next week thinking this is how he watches the live show.

So, yes, you could just have 1 code and give that out to numerous people and have them come on at different scheduled times. However, you have no control over who is active, and it's a 'king of the mountain' type thing, where the last person to use it, will be the one it's active for. So, you could be talking to guest number 1, and if guest number 2 tried to sign in early to test his camera, he'd automatically boot guest number 1 and guest number 2 would find himself live on your stream. Then likely guest number 1 would refresh his page and kick guest number 2 back off. It could get messy.

If you're trying to avoid changing inputs one the fly like in a Virtual Set, I created a sized pictureinpicture overlay to bring them in where I want them (probably not the best way). Then I can keep multiple people in a queue and click overlay number on their input & toggle in which caller I want to be live. It only gets messy if I want something to loaded on top of them, because I have to remember to toggle them off or bring that new input in with a higher overlay number.

thanks 1 user thanked Josemite for this useful post.
EliYahu on 6/30/2020(UTC)
EliYahu  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2020 10:40:45 PM(UTC)
EliYahu

I guess since its a "king of the mountain" kind of setup with vMix calling, I can't just create a video call-in show because any new person calling in will knock the existing person off the show. It would be nice if it would just place them in a queue, through another input, rather than doing that.

It looks like I'll need to find another solution. The Gnural software folks told me their system would not work for what I'm trying to accomplish.

Thanks,

EliYahu