logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gareth  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 2:01:07 AM(UTC)
Gareth

Groups: Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
We off-board our incoming vMix call audio on individual busses, via Dante, to a Yamaha QL1 for a dedicated audio tech to handle.

VT/PPT audio likewise

We could therefore do with at least one bus per vMix call (8) plus a number for VT / PPT audio plus any other incoming remote sources.

At present, there are 7 + the master bus in the pro version.

10 + the master bus would be a good next stage.

16 + the master bus would be ideal
thanks 1 user thanked Gareth for this useful post.
Josef Hackl on 12/16/2021(UTC)
911pro  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 2:57:12 AM(UTC)
911pro

United States

Originally Posted by: Gareth Go to Quoted Post
We off-board our incoming vMix call audio on individual busses, via Dante, to a Yamaha QL1 for a dedicated audio tech to handle.

VT/PPT audio likewise

We could therefore do with at least one bus per vMix call (8) plus a number for VT / PPT audio plus any other incoming remote sources.

Completely agreed!
vvcvvc  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 7:27:10 AM(UTC)
vvcvvc

Man
Estonia

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
+1

Ability to send the audio from vMix Calls (individually) directly to the sound card without wasting audio busses is also an option.
Amokka  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2020 4:29:35 AM(UTC)
Amokka

Man

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I do get the reasoning for having physical sliders and hardware knobs to control audio sources. Even more so when you have a dedicated audio technician.

I often have someone dedicated on audio myself.

But.

Why complicate things even further?

Why introduce additional sources of errors and sync issues, when you can simply add a monitor and a MIDI controller and hand that over to the technician, with the added benefit that he/she can also control master?

I admit.
It's a different workflow - but doing it "the way we usually do" is not always the best way (both in regard to workflow and technical terms), and vMix certainly isn't a traditional switcher.
Geoff B  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2020 6:04:33 AM(UTC)
Geoff B

Man
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
+1

I could use 32 busses, really. But maybe at least we could exhaust all the letters A through Zed?
thanks 1 user thanked Geoff B for this useful post.
sinc747 on 8/25/2020(UTC)
Gareth  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2020 9:35:55 PM(UTC)
Gareth

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Amokka Go to Quoted Post
I do get the reasoning for having physical sliders and hardware knobs to control audio sources. Even more so when you have a dedicated audio technician.

I often have someone dedicated on audio myself.

But.

Why complicate things even further?

Why introduce additional sources of errors and sync issues, when you can simply add a monitor and a MIDI controller and hand that over to the technician, with the added benefit that he/she can also control master?

I admit.
It's a different workflow - but doing it "the way we usually do" is not always the best way (both in regard to workflow and technical terms), and vMix certainly isn't a traditional switcher.

No disrespect to vMix, but we send the audio to a Yamahas QL1 via Dante.

1: This is the opposite end of a warehouse from the vMix machine, for social distancing, and because we have set up an MCR in our warehouse/offices. Midi will not go that distance.
2: The audio functionality within vMix is VERY limited and on the Yamaha QL1, we do 4 band PEQ, multi band compression, de-essing, Dugan auto mixing, complex routing to multiple sources and records etc etc much of which is impossible within vMix. Much of this is also done on the fly, during live records / transmission, so again a "proper" control surface enables this.

Paul Camino  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2020 2:09:19 PM(UTC)
Paul Camino

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

VT/PPT audio likewise

Since vMix call is normally just a microphone, you could set the audio routing of 2 vmix calls to either side of a single stereo bus, so it only takes up 4 of the 7 busses to push all 8 calls to your audio console.

I know this isn't a solution to your request, just a suggestion to increase your capacity in the meantime.
thanks 2 users thanked Paul Camino for this useful post.
Gareth on 7/10/2020(UTC), danhoff on 4/29/2021(UTC)
Gareth  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2020 6:51:28 PM(UTC)
Gareth

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Paul Camino Go to Quoted Post

VT/PPT audio likewise

Since vMix call is normally just a microphone, you could set the audio routing of 2 vmix calls to either side of a single stereo bus, so it only takes up 4 of the 7 busses to push all 8 calls to your audio console.

I know this isn't a solution to your request, just a suggestion to increase your capacity in the meantime.

That's an interesting suggestion.

I've yet to get my head totally around how vMix treats stereo signals - for example a bus is happy to be routed to a single Dante output, which appears to combine L&R to mono.

Again, I assume that if a bus is selected to Dante o/p "1+2", then it becomes true stereo.

For the inputs, there is no PAN control, so I think L/R routing then needs to be done in the Channel Matrix tab of the audio settings.

Have I missed anything here?
caleymw  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2020 5:18:45 AM(UTC)
caleymw

United States

Totally, again, please for the love of all things good, give us audio direct outs from VMix. Or at least many more buses, and not just 8 more. It's a huge limitation that one can't easily pull multitrack audio out of VMix Call. With more buses we can also do the mix minuses in a real audio console and return them each into personalized buses for the callers. (E.g. Suzy hears her mix-minus on Bus S; Tom hears his mix-minus on Bus T; and when we want want a producer to cue Suzy only, we can talk down her bus.) Please and thanks VMix!
thanks 1 user thanked caleymw for this useful post.
Gareth on 7/22/2020(UTC)
Paul Camino  
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 16, 2020 6:16:50 PM(UTC)
Paul Camino

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

VT/PPT audio likewise

I've yet to get my head totally around how vMix treats stereo signals - for example a bus is happy to be routed to a single Dante output, which appears to combine L&R to mono.

Again, I assume that if a bus is selected to Dante o/p "1+2", then it becomes true stereo.

For the inputs, there is no PAN control, so I think L/R routing then needs to be done in the Channel Matrix tab of the audio settings.

Apologize for the late reply, but you are spot on in how it would work. Yes you would want to set the routing. so instead of the checkerboard pattern, you would just send a channel all to one side. No real pan, if you wanted a pan feature, you could play with the gain structure per side, but if your sending to a mixer anyways, wouldn't you want to handle the panning there?
Gareth  
#11 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2020 7:43:21 PM(UTC)
Gareth

Man
United Kingdom

VT/PPT audio likewise

Apologize for the late reply, but you are spot on in how it would work. Yes you would want to set the routing. so instead of the checkerboard pattern, you would just send a channel all to one side. No real pan, if you wanted a pan feature, you could play with the gain structure per side, but if your sending to a mixer anyways, wouldn't you want to handle the panning there?

>>but if your sending to a mixer anyways, wouldn't you want to handle the panning there?<<

Not in this instance - the point of making Audio Bus A (for example) into a stereo output bus is to get the audio from two vCalls as separate mono inputs on the QL1, ( A left / A right) so that totally separate gain, EQ, compression etc can be applied to what may be extremely varied audio sources.

The main downside of this would be that it's not then so quick to set up the routing for the vMix operator. Quite a number of our projects have limited set-up and onboarding time, so to have to go into the audio settings menu of each source in addition to a simple right click + select, would be an issue.
vika  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2020 8:54:26 AM(UTC)
vika

+1
advisiontv  
#13 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2020 6:12:08 AM(UTC)
advisiontv

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
+1 for more audio buses. I always use a seperate audio bus per caller as a standard rule - then it doesnt matter if I route to it vMix Call ( which does handle mix-munis) or SRT (which doesn't) or even zoom or skype. I can leave all my presets as they are and all my push to talks to each channel get routed to the right caller. Therefore it is frustrating only having 7 busses when you can get 8 callers on the top Pro edition.

I hear stability is the main reason. It would be interesting to know if the option to make buses mono would allow any more without loosing stability. If I'm using a bus just to feed a caller then mono is perfectly fine.
thanks 1 user thanked advisiontv for this useful post.
Gareth on 7/30/2020(UTC)
Gareth  
#14 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2020 7:07:23 PM(UTC)
Gareth

Man
United Kingdom

Indeed - 14 mono buses would be way more useful to me than 7 stereo.
adamjohns  
#15 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2020 11:43:20 PM(UTC)
adamjohns

Man
United States

+1

Yes, increased audio buses and ability to make them mono. Also the ability to have direct output as opposed to routing through the existing bus system.
RDP  
#16 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2020 10:44:48 AM(UTC)
RDP

United States

Originally Posted by: vvcvvc Go to Quoted Post
+1

Ability to send the audio from vMix Calls (individually) directly to the sound card without wasting audio busses is also an option.

Is this possible? Or are we still limited to using a Bus to get input audio to an external mixer?

ask  
#17 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2020 11:25:44 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Originally Posted by: adamjohns Go to Quoted Post
+1

..... ability to make them mono.

You can use the audio matrix to set a bus to mono. https://www.vmix.com/hel...x.htm?AudioSettings.html

hadphild  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, August 25, 2020 2:56:07 AM(UTC)
hadphild

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
+1

would love to map be able to map to 32 x 32 dante so I can control on a hardware mixer.
yimmyo  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, March 3, 2021 5:33:56 AM(UTC)
yimmyo

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
+1 on more busses or direct outs!
Waidz  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2021 10:50:13 PM(UTC)
Waidz

Germany

+1