logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
STADIORADIO  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 29, 2018 6:08:39 PM(UTC)
STADIORADIO

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Good evening. I open this discussion to share with you my experience with hdmi extenders.

I have come to the conclusion that there is something limits the use of the same with Vmix, or with the blackmagic design cards.

I've been using Vmix for three years, starting from the bottom. I started my first experiences with low quality acquisition cards and low performance PCs.

Over time I chose to use HDMI connections. I purchased a Decklink Minirecorder and recently an Intensity pro 4k.

Since we shoot football matches, we need to connect the cameras in points far from the pc, up to 100 meters away, so we need extender hdmi.

Today I can say that I was lucky, because the first extender I bought immediately worked, I say because the second purchase I can not find one that brings the signal to Vmix. Attention the extender work, because if I connect the output of a camera, to a monitor through the extender, I can see the image, while Vmix shows me only a beautiful blue. I tried several extenders but I always had a lot of difficulties.

Maybe I was wrong to choose the Hdmi, instead of an SDI, or maybe Vmix or Blackmagic acquisition cards have limits. Unfortunately on this forum I have not found exhaustive answers, and at the moment I do not know what route to take.

I would like to further improve the quality of the connections but I do not know how to move.

Thank you
SportsNetUSA.net  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 29, 2018 8:29:55 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
I have an HDBaseT HDMI extender, a KanexPro EXT-HD100MHBT. I've used it on games several times up to 200 feet/61 meters. It suppose to have a range of 100 meters. I've tested it to 300 feet/91 at 1080p/59.94. I always use CAT6 shielded cable with the KanexPro extender. I've never had a problem with it.

In the past I had problems with the length of HDMI cables when I use to use a Blackmagic Intensity Pro. It seemed to not like certain cables over 10 feet.

I don't think vMix is your problem. It's finding the HDMI extender and the capture card combination that will work at the distance you need if you decide not to use wireless, SDI or NDI methods.
thanks 1 user thanked SportsNetUSA.net for this useful post.
STADIORADIO on 1/30/2018(UTC)
Kelvin  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 29, 2018 9:12:30 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I went a slightly different route by opting for a Magewell Quad SDI Input card. At the time, all of my cameras were HDMI. For distances up to 300 ft, I use HDMI-SDI Converters and high quality Belden or Canare RG59 coax. You could add some SDI-HDMI converters on the other end as well for your capture card. I use cheap chinese converters and haven't had a problem with them. But now with the Blackmagic micro converters being less than $50 each, it doesn't really make sense to take a chance on the cheap ones anymore.

Good luck.

thanks 1 user thanked Kelvin for this useful post.
STADIORADIO on 1/30/2018(UTC)
STADIORADIO  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:08:14 AM(UTC)
STADIORADIO

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
What is the best connection between Hdmi and Sdi?
thank you
SportsNetUSA.net  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 5:27:54 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
STADIORADIO wrote:
What is the best connection between Hdmi and Sdi?
thank you

In reference to converters, I think what Kelvin posted is useful. Whatever works for you is the right one. The Blackmagic micro converters are priced at the same level as the generic ones. I use AJA HA5 Plus units, but there are less expensive brands that will give you good performance.

And I'd agree with Kelvin on using quality cables. Though it's stiff, Belden 1694A works well at longer distances.
thanks 1 user thanked SportsNetUSA.net for this useful post.
STADIORADIO on 2/1/2018(UTC)
HWL1223  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 11:28:35 AM(UTC)
HWL1223

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
my experience with HDMI and distance limits is 1) the signal strength of the output device, 2) the quality of the cable. I have passed cameras up to 100' with no "sparkles", though if I recall, the HDMI spec for cable runs is 33'. I have had cables of 33' that didnt pass the same camera...trashed.
I have used FSR extenders up to 170' (with their shielded cable) with no issues on PC projection, but not on cameras.

I have had issues with BM HDMI to SDI converters with certain cameras, in that the camera output format doesnt work with the BM extender.

I am getting ready to play with a Newtek Spark NDI box for HDMI...

In my perfect world, I prefer SDI over coax, but imagine twisted pair will eventually prevail.
thanks 1 user thanked HWL1223 for this useful post.
STADIORADIO on 2/3/2018(UTC)
nuncium  
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2020 3:45:17 AM(UTC)
nuncium

I tried to use Blackmagic mini Recorder in combination with Marmitek megaview 66 extender, and all I get is a black screen. Extender works perfectly well with Elgato HD60 s+ capture device.
Does anyone know why I can't get the image with Blackmagic?
Anyone has experience in pairing those successfully?
Thanks!
xaver  
#8 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2020 4:00:29 AM(UTC)
xaver

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Blackmagic is very sensitive with it's input
We also tried some years ago different HDMI extenders over CAT6 and non of them worked realy perfect
If the HDMI is not synced very well BM will not work
so we decide to go with fibre (it's more expensive, but you can use cables as long as you need)
nuncium  
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2020 4:13:20 AM(UTC)
nuncium

Thanks Xavier for response.
I will stick to elgato than, it didn't give any issues so far.
Fiber is a good tip, but it does go beyond the budget at the moment.