logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TFMG  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 2:16:24 AM(UTC)
TFMG

Groups: Registered
Australia

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If there's already a way to do this, please let me know - I am unable to find anything in the shortcut documentation or in the vMix shortcut system itself.

Having the ability to script or set different transitions into and out of Overlays would open up the possibility for virtually unlimited overlay configurations.
This would allow for a script to set a specific transition when the overlay is inserted over the master output, and configure a different transition for the removal of that overlay from the master output. Eg. a clean cut for the insertion of an overlay, and a fade to remove the overlay. This helps to create some less jarring transitions, but also allows for variety for transitioning overlays on and off screen, which would be useful for producing different segments in the same show that have different styles.

This could also integrate with the upcoming Dynamic Shortcuts feature in vMix 24 - hold a shortcut button set for a transition, then press a shortcut for the overlay you wish to trigger that transition on.

DWAM  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 3:04:47 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Quote:
If there's already a way to do this, please let me know - I am unable to find anything in the shortcut documentation or in the vMix shortcut system itself.

Your post should be in the general section of the forum, Features Requests is not a place to start with such question...

Basically everything you suggest here is already possible although it's not clear if you're talking about Overlays (1, 2, 3, 4) or Overlays within Multiviews. Anyway , both are already possible

For overlays 1, 2, 3 and 4, just check this section in the manual
https://www.vmix.com/help23/Overlay2.html
and use the Overlays Settings (bottom right in vMix) and finally use the shortcut commands or scripts to produce any effect on IN and OUT

For Overlays in Multiviews, we have all the necessary shortcuts too and since the implementation of Mix inputs, overlays can use transitions effects
https://www.vmix.com/help23/Mix.html

To sum up everything you're talking about here is already available in vMix some way or another and has been many times addressed in this forum over the years...
TFMG  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 3:31:09 PM(UTC)
TFMG

Australia

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thanks DWAM.

I am talking about Overlays (1, 2, 3, 4) - none of the information you linked to gave me a direct solution to my request, but perhaps that's on me for not being clear enough - I'd rather ask to be educated upfront than demand a feature be implemented.

None of the shortcuts in the vMix documentation refer to transitioning overlays, only turning overlays on and off, or transitioning inputs between Preview and Live. The only transitions that are triggered are the ones preconfigured in the Overlay Setting menu in the bottom right hand corner of vMix, and even then, you cannot set one transition for the 'In' and a different transition for the 'Out' of an overlay.

Using a Mix input as a permanent Overlay and then scripting the use of Multiview for one of the mix sources would be a work around, but the technique I'm proposing would be a cleaner way of doing things, continue to provide an accurate indicator as to which input was live as an overlay, and would be more flexible for using one shortcut layout across multiple productions.

To be clear, I did a search of the forum using relevant keywords before I posted. I understand that there's been an influx of people new to vMix over the last few months and it can be frustrating seeing questions you've seen answered before, but perhaps there's some people that have also been around for awhile asking for a minor tweak for things that are currently possible via an overly-complicated work around.
grantcoll  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2020 8:29:00 AM(UTC)
grantcoll

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Hi TFMG, I agree with all that you say. I have looked at scripting as well, and you can set and control transitions, but these apply to transition from Preview to Output, and don't apply to Overlay Effects. I think that is the key difference, that people don't understand we need, which is effects for the overlays, rather than transitions for transitioning from Preview to Output. The 4 overlays are enough, but we need to be able to change the Overlay "Effect" on the fly. This could be through shortcuts or script functions, but currently there doesn't appear to be any way.

I have contacted Support about this. I actually tried using the new Mini Mix as an option to get more overlay effects, but it is limited in this area, and not really designed for this purpose.

Regards
Grant.
thanks 1 user thanked grantcoll for this useful post.
TFMG on 6/25/2020(UTC)
Fbcgulfport  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2022 2:08:33 PM(UTC)
Fbcgulfport

United States

+1
stemcc  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2022 3:04:34 PM(UTC)
stemcc

+1

It would be very helpful to be able to change Overlay transition type via API.