logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GraceMaryville  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2020 12:29:49 AM(UTC)
GraceMaryville

Groups: Registered

We are looking for a solution that would allow any person who brings an Apple device into our church to be able to broadcast to our stream without having to install the app on each device. I have read about using an Apple TV 4K and a $100 app (NDI TV Monitor) on the appstore to accomplish this. Does anyone have experience with it, and would this work?

We have a PC environment, and whenever an Apple person comes in, it is chaos trying to convert everything to PC. It would be nice for them to just airplay to the Apple TV and then capture an NDI from the Apple TV via the ethernet to put into the stream. Just making sure this is the correct solution to accomplish this.

Thanks!
zenvideo  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2020 12:46:45 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GraceMaryville Go to Quoted Post
I have read about using an Apple TV 4K and a $100 app (NDI TV Monitor) on the appstore to accomplish this. Does anyone have experience with it, and would this work?

We have a PC environment, and whenever an Apple person comes in, it is chaos trying to convert everything to PC. It would be nice for them to just airplay to the Apple TV and then capture an NDI from the Apple TV via the ethernet to put into the stream. Just making sure this is the correct solution to accomplish this.

AFAIK (not being an Apple user) that NDI TV Monitor which you refer to is only for decoding an NDI source and viewing it on an Apple device, not for creating/encoding NDI.

However, if you have an Apple TV box with HDMI out and your visitors can airplay to that, then you could connect the HDMI output to an NDI encoder (from BirdDog, Kiloview, Magewell or NewTek) to create an NDI feed to send to vMix. That's assuming the Apple TV box is too far from the vMix system to use the HDMI via a cable into a capture device on the vMix system, which might be a cheaper/simpler solution.

GraceMaryville  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2020 1:31:38 AM(UTC)
GraceMaryville

Ugh...thanks. I am not an Apple guy either. We have an older Gen 3 Apple TV that is connected via ethernet to our network, but it is in a room in the back of the sanctuary, so getting the airplay to work has been an issue in the past.

I guess we could move the Apple TV to the stage and do hdmi over cat 5 back to the media room. We have one spot left on our Blackmagic capture card, so I could get an hdmi to SDI converter to go in there. Will that introduce a lot of latency?

I hope some Apple folks can speak to this.
xaver  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2020 3:19:53 AM(UTC)
xaver

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GraceMaryville Go to Quoted Post
do hdmi over cat 5 back to the media room

take HDMI to SDI near by the TV and go with SDI to the media room
cho123  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2020 11:05:57 AM(UTC)
cho123

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Not installing an app to accomplish what you want to do seems a bit overwhelming. If they can install youtube, I am sure they can install NDI screen capture. This is relatively simple and very very effective and free.
LouKohley  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 18, 2020 6:45:32 AM(UTC)
LouKohley

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
To add.

If your apple TV is using wired internet then moving it somewhere else will not change how well it works.
If it's on the network and the it's hooked up with hdmi to your vmix system. Then the issue is with the wireless access point that the user is connecting to as well as their own device.

Airplay requires that both devices be on the same network and subnet.

Perhaps a vlan for the apple tv and user?

LOU