logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Slaver  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2020 6:12:40 PM(UTC)
Slaver

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hello,

will it be possible in the future to have 1 oder more channels for 4K Instant Replay? Or is my question years to early?

Thank you
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2020 6:28:05 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
v24 will have up to 8 cams in IR, check the announcements done in the last few months
Slaver  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2020 5:22:54 PM(UTC)
Slaver

Yes, i´am watching all their news and shows. 8 cameras in v24 is hd resolution. I am talking about 12G 4K for slomo.

It was just a question in the whole group here, opinions and so on are welcome.
stigaard  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2020 5:34:44 PM(UTC)
stigaard

Man
Denmark

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Slaver Go to Quoted Post
Yes, i´am watching all their news and shows. 8 cameras in v24 is hd resolution. I am talking about 12G 4K for slomo.

It was just a question in the whole group here, opinions and so on are welcome.

Then you have not watched closely enough.

4K replay channel(s) will be supported in vMix 24. Whether you are able to have 8x 4K replay channels, I am not sure...
thanks 1 user thanked stigaard for this useful post.
Slaver on 6/16/2020(UTC)
Rinsky  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2020 7:45:24 PM(UTC)
Rinsky

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 35 post(s)
8xHD or 2x4K will be possible
thanks 1 user thanked Rinsky for this useful post.
Slaver on 6/16/2020(UTC)
Slaver  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2020 11:33:30 PM(UTC)
Slaver

Sorry guys, i missed that. Thanks a lot for the information.

Looks like the hardware has to get better over the next years for a 4x 4K slomo?
Vuurmannetje  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2020 10:32:36 PM(UTC)
Vuurmannetje

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Im not a developer for vmix hah but my thoughts:

Getting more or higher res IR looks mostly a bandwidth and data throughput question. Each 4k channel uses 4x as many resources as a single HD channel. So for example if you were using IR at 100mbps per source, to get the same relative quality you need to run it at 400mbps.

Going four sources from 100 each to 400 each puts you at 1600 mbps. This alone will mean that you will need to run high end NVMe drives just to get this consistent read/write throughput, as most SSDs advertised at those speeds only have this speed till their buffer fills. Now with the new cap at 8? (maybe theres no cap who knows) youre looking at 3200 mbps consistent read/write strain on your drive. Theres some high end drives that have this but almost none that have this for extended periods of time, and those that do are expensive. Then you also need a motherboard and cpu that can handle these numbers without throttling your software itself.
So hardware for 8x 4k is close, but not yet there off the shelf.

Now I can imagine making a flexible program like vmix run those data-rates reliable without breaking other features is a epic feat all of its own.
stigaard  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 18, 2020 12:07:29 AM(UTC)
stigaard

Man
Denmark

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Vuurmannetje Go to Quoted Post
Im not a developer for vmix hah but my thoughts:

Getting more or higher res IR looks mostly a bandwidth and data throughput question. Each 4k channel uses 4x as many resources as a single HD channel. So for example if you were using IR at 100mbps per source, to get the same relative quality you need to run it at 400mbps.

Going four sources from 100 each to 400 each puts you at 1600 mbps. This alone will mean that you will need to run high end NVMe drives just to get this consistent read/write throughput, as most SSDs advertised at those speeds only have this speed till their buffer fills. Now with the new cap at 8? (maybe theres no cap who knows) youre looking at 3200 mbps consistent read/write strain on your drive. Theres some high end drives that have this but almost none that have this for extended periods of time, and those that do are expensive. Then you also need a motherboard and cpu that can handle these numbers without throttling your software itself.
So hardware for 8x 4k is close, but not yet there off the shelf.

Now I can imagine making a flexible program like vmix run those data-rates reliable without breaking other features is a epic feat all of its own.

First of all, vMix 24 will use vMix AVI codec for Instant Replay. This enables better quality video for same bitrate relative to current MPEG2.

Also, you must distinguish mbps to MB/s. Megabyte per second vs megabit per second. There is 8 times a factor. (Bit to byte).

So i would say a regular SSD would be fine in most cases.
Radiotvpat1982  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 18, 2020 1:27:55 AM(UTC)
Radiotvpat1982

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Couple things to note here on the future update.

This update unlocks the ability to do several key things in replay!
4K will be an option but obviously you would need some major hardware to pull that off. People are testing now from what I gather.

One improvement that is key is the ability to mix resolutions and frame rates.
So if you are using 6 cameras but only 2 are 4K its not going to be as intense on the system. 8 cams at 4K however.........

Another thing to note is framerate. The term "slomo" was used a couple times. Currently you have to match framerates.
Now from what I understand you can have a couple high framerate cameras and keep your other normal 59.94 cameras.
So now from what I understand you can run some cameras that are "super slomo" like 120 or 240 FPS.

In the end with the addition of unlinking the A & B channels having 8 inputs vs 4, and expanded audio options, VMIX Replay will become possibly a top tier option. Certainly a better option than the Newtek 3 Play and for a portion of the price.

There are also some buried settings that will really help with operator workflow. They added an option to remove or adjust what is referred to as guard ban or buffer at the end of replays. You can now have replays have an unlimited ending meaning no more freezing if you reach the end of the clip. This is a huge change that was much needed. Several more options like that as well like creating a true single click delete shortcut.