logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JohnKov67  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 8, 2020 8:56:22 PM(UTC)
JohnKov67

Groups: Registered
United States

I do a podcast with vMix and vmix call. I would like to record each caller's audio independently so it can be cleaned up in Adobe Audition. Does anyone know if this is possible?
KnKproductions  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 8, 2020 9:22:19 PM(UTC)
KnKproductions

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I'm only brainstorming here, but you could use the multicorder feature to record the full blown input (audio and video) for each speaker.
After that, you'd need to extract the audio from the video. Load the recording into Premiere and then edit the audio track in Audition.... I don't remember the command off the top of my head to load the audio track in audition but it's somewhere in the right-click menu when the audio is right-clicked in premiere.
Obviously once all the audio is separated, you can do multi track stuff in audition.

I'll check this to make sure it works when I get home later, as I also do podcasts with vmix and vmix call :)
It may be necessary to do some wizardry with the audio busses in vmix as well.

How many separate audio sources would you have?
I wonder if the audio busses can be picked up as separate sources in Audition... then you could record directly.. hmmm I'll try that tonight too
JohnKov67  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2020 12:41:23 AM(UTC)
JohnKov67

United States

let me know about the multicorder aspect. As for the busses, I am pretty sure vMix mixes them down and puts them into the mp4 as one audio stream.
KnKproductions  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2020 3:54:28 AM(UTC)
KnKproductions

United States

Originally Posted by: JohnKov67 Go to Quoted Post
let me know about the multicorder aspect. As for the busses, I am pretty sure vMix mixes them down and puts them into the mp4 as one audio stream.

The multicorder will work for the intended purpose, each separate input records its own audio and none of the other ones. You'll be able to get separate tracks, tested just now to make sure.
I will start doing this in the future as well.
KnKproductions  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2020 4:58:38 AM(UTC)
KnKproductions

United States

Also tried turning on the NDI for the audio outputs in the settings menu. Opened up the NewTek NDI Virtual Input and set it to the specific audio bus that I had a track playing on.
In Audition, I could select the NDI feed as the microphone as recorded the NDI output of vMix. Unfortunately I could only do one channel.
Maybe this would make a good feature request... create an NDI output for specific and multiple audio inputs. Of course, there's no promise that Audition would be able to see multiple and separate NDI audio sources... for now, the multicorder works perfect and only requires a few extra steps afterwards to get a multitrack going in audition.
KnKproductions  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2020 10:02:43 AM(UTC)
KnKproductions

United States

found a better solution... message me and i'll email the plugin to you.

patting myself on the back because that took me forever to find and it works, can record all the tracks separately and simultaneously!
kahjah  
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2020 9:50:28 AM(UTC)
kahjah

United States

Definitely in the same situation as the OP, has anyone found a good workaround for this?
KnKproductions  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2020 2:38:13 PM(UTC)
KnKproductions

United States

might as well post it here :)

download the windows version of this plugin program from here: https://www.meldaproduction.com/downloads

When installing, you only need to install the vst3 files, and only need to do the "MRecorder". The rest of the install I clicked through.

put it in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

will probably have to make that folder...

Make sure "MRecorder.vst3" ends up in that folder

in vmix, click the gear on the audio channel in the mixer, go to 'plugins', click the plus button, select MRecorder from the dropdown

You'll set the destination and filename, then just hit record and it lays down a wav track.
Can do one per audio track too. Have to make sure that you always change the filename or destination otherwise it will overwrite the previous file without asking.
JohnKov67  
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2020 10:03:14 PM(UTC)
JohnKov67

United States

Thanks for this. I checked out the Multicorder option and it would work but I have to upgrade to the 4k version before I can use it. I will try the plugin option.
KnKproductions  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2020 2:16:25 AM(UTC)
KnKproductions

United States

Got to finally use the vst3 recorder for a live show and it worked great. Recorded Master, Myself, Caller1, and Caller2 separately.
After the live recording was done, it was really easy to take all 4 tracks into audition and use the master track to line up the other three.
Muted the master, and cut/moved the tracks around to put a better flow to the dialogue, then did the final cuts and edits on the mixdown track.
100% doing it this way from now on! Still surprised that was the only vst3 recorder I could find.... but it works :)
DaveT  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2020 2:30:34 AM(UTC)
DaveT

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
We do this via another method since when we use multicorder, files break a part if the vmixcall resolution changes.

We use Audio Subgroups, and output each seperate audio call via a subgroup, then have those groups be separate channels.

Then for the records, we make sure the audio include MABCDEFG or which batch works best, and have WAV File Record enabled.

Each caller is then recorded on separate channels.
KnKproductions  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2020 3:00:03 AM(UTC)
KnKproductions

United States

Originally Posted by: DaveT Go to Quoted Post
We do this via another method since when we use multicorder, files break a part if the vmixcall resolution changes.

We use Audio Subgroups, and output each seperate audio call via a subgroup, then have those groups be separate channels.

Then for the records, we make sure the audio include MABCDEFG or which batch works best, and have WAV File Record enabled.

Each caller is then recorded on separate channels.

I think that works even better! Only downside for me is that it records the video as well BUT that's really not a problem since it's all separated. Wish I had seen that option a long time ago :)
Looks like the subgroups don't make much of a difference though, if the multicorder audio is set to 'input'.

I tried changing the send and receive rates on the call and the multicorder recording didn't split on its own... so that's good
neelesh  
#13 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2020 7:01:07 AM(UTC)
neelesh

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: KnKproductions Go to Quoted Post

download the windows version of this plugin program from here: https://www.meldaproduction.com/downloads

When installing, you only need to install the vst3 files, and only need to do the "MRecorder". The rest of the install I clicked through.

in vmix, click the gear on the audio channel in the mixer, go to 'plugins', click the plus button, select MRecorder from the dropdown

You'll set the destination and filename, then just hit record and it lays down a wav track.
Can do one per audio track too. Have to make sure that you always change the filename or destination otherwise it will overwrite the previous file without asking.

This is an excellent solution, especially for a podcast.

The only question I have: Is there a way to automatically start recording with MRecorder when I click "Record" in vMix?
KnKproductions  
#14 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2020 7:08:14 AM(UTC)
KnKproductions

United States

Originally Posted by: neelesh Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: KnKproductions Go to Quoted Post

This is an excellent solution, especially for a podcast.

The only question I have: Is there a way to automatically start recording with MRecorder when I click "Record" in vMix?

not that i can think of off the top of my head, but the last one I did I started them all at the same-ish time before going live.

Also for the record I tried the wav file recording in the vmix options but that only works on video inputs like cameras or calls. Would not let me do that for an audio-only input, for example the hosts.
So this method does not work for what I do... only the individual recorders on each audio track does :)