logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mike82  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 1:09:59 AM(UTC)
Mike82

Groups: Registered

Hi, I've been using Vmix for almost a month. Everything works great but I have one problem with Vmix call.
The problem is when two callers are talking at the same time. Audio drops during simultaneous conversation and they cannot hear each other.
Do you know what the problem is and and how to solve it?

Regards

Mike
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 1:31:06 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Then problem may not be vMix Call specifically, it could be the behavior of the WebRTC audio processes in the browser. IME, they just don't handle what's known as "double-talk" well. I have a lot of experience with this in my day job with an audio conferencing company.

If the WebRTC application allows the user to toggle the audio processing (AGC, EC, NR) you may be able to mitigate this a bit. However, you do it at your peril.

Turn off echo cancellation (ec) and any vMix Call guest not using a headset will utterly destroy the audio experience of the program.

In fact, some USB headsets and sounds interface have a similar problem. They degrade the sound from the microphone while there is also sound to the earpieces. This was a problem with a generation of common USB audio interface chips.

I discovered this using a Plantronics Blackwire C320 headset. I chased them on it for 6 months and all they were able to do is replace it with a most costly model.

So, the problem you are experiencing could be browser related (most likely) or it could be equipment related.
KnKproductions  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 1:40:41 AM(UTC)
KnKproductions

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Have them use headphones, this way the mic can't pickup the incoming audio. Should fix everything.
Mike82  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 1:43:26 AM(UTC)
Mike82

Ok, I will try to make a test with headphones.

Thanks

mike.

CrimsonAvenger  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 5:09:52 PM(UTC)
CrimsonAvenger

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Been thinking for months about a solution to this kind of problem, that would actually improve the visuals too.

There's nothing on the market besides the standard gear, but the age of Covid has opened up the market to new possibilities.

What we could all use is a simple, low-cost device that combines an acoustic tube earpiece with a decent cardiod lavalier mic that can be plugged into smartphones, tablets, and single jack laptops. And a range of adapters if someone had a different setup.

I'd love to be able to produce these. Maybe I should set up a Crowdfunder.

Any thoughts?
KnKproductions  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2020 4:02:23 AM(UTC)
KnKproductions

United States

Originally Posted by: CrimsonAvenger Go to Quoted Post
Been thinking for months about a solution to this kind of problem, that would actually improve the visuals too.

There's nothing on the market besides the standard gear, but the age of Covid has opened up the market to new possibilities.

What we could all use is a simple, low-cost device that combines an acoustic tube earpiece with a decent cardiod lavalier mic that can be plugged into smartphones, tablets, and single jack laptops. And a range of adapters if someone had a different setup.

Any thoughts?

A lot of these work great
https://www.amazon.com/s...e-phones/5xvyn57vbqu37hf

I've had one of these forever and it works great too for 48v phantom power mics
https://www.amazon.com/g..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
CrimsonAvenger  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2020 4:04:06 AM(UTC)
CrimsonAvenger

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: KnKproductions Go to Quoted Post

Any thoughts?

A lot of these work great
https://www.amazon.com/s...e-phones/5xvyn57vbqu37hf

Sure,

Lots of stuff "works".

But they all LOOK stupid!

Thanks for replying!
KnKproductions  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2020 4:07:32 AM(UTC)
KnKproductions

United States

What about these in the ears connected through bluetooth
https://www.amazon.com/S...F3PM?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_11
mjgraves  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2020 4:32:52 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)

Yes, I've seen a gap in the market for years. You get to a certain point, beyond office call center gear, and you're left with stuff for stage & screen.

Also, you end up with separate gear for monitoring/listening vs the microphone path. A singer will wear two belt packs; one for the head-worn microphone (Countryman or DPA) and another for the In-Ear-Monitors (IEMs.) $$$$$

What I'd like to see is a single belt pack with two audio connections; mic & earphones. Could be 3.5mm TRS in both cases. Could be DECT for the wireless link. DECT can pass up to 12.5 KHz these days and reach over 300 feet. Also, the battery last a long time compared to anything Wi-Fi connected.

Also, IP connections will have more latency. Simple packetization delay forces this to be the case.

I use a Sennheiser DECT cordless headset with my desktop and Polycom IP phone. It's great. Audio path from 50 Hz - 12.5 KHz. Battery lasts all day. But there are times when you want the performance of a headset without being seen to wear a headset.