logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Paul_WCP  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2020 11:23:11 PM(UTC)
Paul_WCP

Groups: Registered
Germany

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
We recently ran a show with over 150 inputs. It worked well with the High input performance mode, but GPU Mem still went up to over 60%.

It would be really good to have the inputs ready for building a rundown of the show but enabling the inputs only for the timeslots needed, so vmix does not have to render the multiviews the whole time. For now I could use hotkeys to change multiviews from simple colors to camera inputs but that takes quite some time to setup.

Another use case would be for incoming connections. We might have a show with up to 50 SRT inputs soon. Same idea. Build your rundown to the show but only enable the connections needed for the moment to save bandwidth.
Found the feature request for that also here:
/posts/t21495-Pause-SRT-input--or-allow-API-to-enable-disable-SRT

Anyways thanks for the great software. I've been pushing the use of vmix in our company for several years now and at the moment our business mainly runs on vmix in these corona times. Keep up the great work!
Paul

DWAM  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2020 11:41:11 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
vMix already provides everything you're talking about.

You can add and remove inputs via the API which makes it possible to have various sets evolving through time

You can build your multiviews dynamically to switch inputs as you need and use the Mix inputs to switch directly within your multiviews

Check the shortcuts command list - there's already everything you need - and maybe use some external comtrollers like Panel Builder or UTC (or just a webpage) to design the specific interface you need to have a easy way to manage your project inputs on the fly.

Alternatively you can also "hide" some inputs so that there's no need to render their thumbnail view, you can move inputs from one place to another with simple mouse drags during your production.

For very large projects, I also recommend to use several vMix instances (one dedicated for incoming SRT for example) with submix or NDI bridge in between the primary and the auxilliary vMix.

Guillaume
mavik  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2020 11:41:25 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
What I do is to use the color tags. This way you can drill down to just the inputs needed.

For the multivies you might want to use the build in mini mixers. maybe they make it simpler.
Paul_WCP  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 12:14:36 AM(UTC)
Paul_WCP

Germany

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DWAM Go to Quoted Post
vMix already provides everything you're talking about.

You can add and remove inputs via the API which makes it possible to have various sets evolving through time

You can build your multiviews dynamically to switch inputs as you need and use the Mix inputs to switch directly within your multiviews

Check the shortcuts command list - there's already everything you need - and maybe use some external comtrollers like Panel Builder or UTC (or just a webpage) to design the specific interface you need to have a easy way to manage your project inputs on the fly.

Alternatively you can also "hide" some inputs so that there's no need to render their thumbnail view, you can move inputs from one place to another with simple mouse drags during your production.

For very large projects, I also recommend to use several vMix instances (one dedicated for incoming SRT for example) with submix or NDI bridge in between the primary and the auxilliary vMix.

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume,

I think you got me wrong on that part. I know this all works with moving around inputs, but this is my workaround. And the workaround takes too much time to setup. I am not running a reocurring show where I can perfect the setup on the go. We work with different clients every other day and have to quickly be able to setup a rundown. What is needed is an actual DISABLE and ENABLE.
Also hiding them or moving them to groups does, as far as i can tell, still use system resources. So this would not help.

For the 50 SRT inputs I will definitely use more than one vmix machine anyway. But then sending extra NDI over would clog the network even more.
Barney Box Lane  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 16, 2020 9:13:18 AM(UTC)
Barney Box Lane

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 29 post(s)
+1 we have an issue to do with the network where we need a back up mode if things are playing up but we cant have both open throughout the production - if we need too and the cameras keep dropping out we could disable the main way and enable the other method