logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JLMEMT  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2020 11:51:12 AM(UTC)
JLMEMT

Groups: Registered
United States

Started up Vmix this morning to do our church live stream and the GPU was instantly overloaded. Had to use OBS on the fly for church this morning because nothing would fix Vmix. We even uninstalled it and reinstalled it.

Afterwards we finally figured out that it was the output that was doing it. As soon as there is a computer pulling the output it pegs the GPU. It does it even if there are no inputs. We tried several computers also, so it isn't the fault of the other computer. We changed every setting that we could find or think of and nothing changes it. Up to 5 camera inputs are no problem, but as soon as the output goes on, instant GPU overload.

A camera on and render times are either 0ms or 1 ms, add the output and no matter the settings it jumps to over 40 ms.

We have been using this computer as our Vmix computer for about a month, and a weaker one before that for the first few weeks. I did change out my CPU this week, but I increased frequency and cores. I went from an i920 quad core to a Xeon X5675 hex core, from 3.7 Ghz to 4.3 Ghz. The CPU was barely doing anything, but the render times were 60-120 ms. It wasn't that bad even when I had to use my laptop the first few weeks. The GPU, a Radeon RX 580 did pretty well the last couple of weeks, but this week was dead in the water. I had overclocked it a bit this week, but I put it back to stock and that didn't change anything either. I have it sitting here right now running the two blank inputs with an NDI output connected and Vmix is using no CPU, stays on 1% and the GPU is overloaded at 24 FPS and render times of 47 ms while using no GPU memory, 1%.

What broke Vmix this week? It is absolutely worthless in this state and I can't figure it out. If we cannot figure it out in the next couple of days we will have to move to OBS, which I hate, because we can at least get a stream out with it. I know Vmix is resource intensive, but this is non-workable and clearly not how it should be acting.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Update, I have been working on this for a day and making absolutely no progress. What I don't understand is why NO settings make any difference in the external output. I have unchecked where it is getting it's settings from elsewhere. I can crank the output all the way up to 20 mbps or to the lowest setting at 500 kbps, and even on HEVC which my GPU doesn't have, hardware on or off, and low power on or off, and it is 100% GPU no matter what as soon as a computer pulls from the output. Whether the output resolution is set all the way up or all the way down makes no difference, however if I change the entire program resolution down to an unusable level it doesn't do it.

This makes Vmix totally unusable for us because we also haven't been able to get one computer to be able to run multiple cameras at a good quality and also push out a high quality stream. On Sunday, after Vmix failed and left us stranded, we used the computer that can't seem to do hardly anything in Vmix to run 3 cameras and an HD stream on OBS by itself. I have been through all of the optimization guides many times, there were very minor differences. So while I love using Vmix for switching shots and producing the video part of the service, it has been a pain and it is now suddenly unusable because we can't send the signal anywhere. I hate trying to use OBS to produce, but it is considerably less resource intensive, and so far it works.
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2020 5:52:42 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JLMEMT Go to Quoted Post
I went from an i920 quad core to a Xeon X5675 hex core, from 3.7 Ghz to 4.3 Ghz.

How did you make this transition. Your description implies that you changed CPU while sustaining the GPU. It's in in a slot that allows it to perform optimally? GPU overload is wholly independent of the CPU.

vMix relies heavily on the GPU. They do not recommend AMD GPUs specifically because it's optimized for nVidia GPUS that feature NVEC/NVDEC dedicated hardware encoders/decoders.

I've done similar productions on a much less capable platform, but I've always used an nVidia GPU. Even my old GTX 750 Ti runs 1080p30 handily.
JLMEMT  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2020 6:55:10 AM(UTC)
JLMEMT

United States

My old motherboard had some bad Dimm slots, so I changed out the motherboard, but extremely similar. From an Asus P6x58d-e to a P6x58d premium and changed the CPU. Kept the same GPU I'd been using for a few weeks.
Yeah, I didn't figure out the Nvidia preference until after I'd ordered the AMD, but it worked for a couple of productions until something drastically changed. My GPU benchmarks improved last week with the new CPU and such, but VMix maxes it whenever an output is pulled. No output settings make any difference whatsoever. Everything's fine when no output, and dead in the water even if all of the output settings are minimal.

I think I have a couple of things going on possibly. Even just one wired webcam is delayed in vmix. It is not in a couple of other programs. Not so bad it is a deal breaker alone, but it shouldn't be. I was starting to think that it was a major computer issue, but I can't make it do most of these things anywhere else. Martin did help me figure out that my GPU doesn't record video well in OBS either, but there I can switch over to software encoding and record 1080p at up to 31.5 fps if I want to. I can live with 1080 at 30fps if I have to. But I can't seem to do that in Vmix. We weren't even using my computer to record because we haven't been feeding audio into it. But what I do need is to be able to feed in the cameras, add overlays, and feed out a signal to the other computer which was adding audio and streaming it out. It worked fine for several weeks, now once I get to output nothing works. I thought I had it, but as soon as I added the output back in I was right back to square one.

So obviously my GPU is far from ideal for this, even though it should be more than powerful enough the hardware encoding just doesn't work here. But I should have more than enough CPU to avoid it wherever possible. I'm having a hard time believing that an RX580 at 1465 MHz can't output one 1080p at 30fps stream. It did for a few weeks.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Vmix quickly yesterday when this all started. Would that be a clean restart if I had somehow messed something up? Or would have it just added everything back in when it installed? It didn't give me any options to keep/ discard settings, etc.

I was wondering if I should go back to my old chip, etc, but all of the bus and memory settings are higher on the current CPU. I am no expert on what a computer needs to do video, obviously, but I can't find anything that shouldn't have improved. Instead it is clearly the opposite.