logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Varnell UMC  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 8, 2020 12:40:44 AM(UTC)
Varnell UMC

Groups: Registered
United States

We are looking into putting a new system into our church to record and stream our worship services and I need a little advice to make sure what I am planning on putting together will work. We am planning on purchasing/building/installing everything to save some money, but I do have a degree in electrical engineering and have been putting together and installing computers and A/V equipment for 25+ years. I am just a little unfamiliar with this software and setup, so want to make sure I am doing everything correctly.

We already have a Behringer X32 mixer installed for the sound and a Mac mini which runs ProPresenter for our two displays in the sanctuary. The setup we are looking at is a lot like the setup for the example church on the vMix website (Covenant Church), except that the Mac mini will still be the computer connected to and being what is displayed on the screens in the sanctuary. Right now, we are looking at installing 2 PTZ cameras (with maybe adding one or two more in the future). The new streaming computer will be used to stream our services online, record them so we can make DVDs for our non-tech homebound members, and possible be connected to some other displays/projectors throughout the church. We are looking at the vMix 4k version of the software (because it has the PTZ control built in).

Here are the hardware specs we are looking at purchasing:
Cameras
PTZOptics PT20X-SDI-GY-G2
Desktop Computer
Intel Core i7 9700K 3.6GHz Processor
ASUS Prime Z390-P motherboard
NVIDIA RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6
16GB DDR4-3200 RAM
1TB SSD
Capture Card
Blackmagic Design DeckLink Duo 2 Playback and Capture Card

We will probably also add an x-keys controller to for easy automatic set points/zooms for the cameras.

Any advice you could give would be appreciated.

Chris
Chad Taylor  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2020 5:17:09 AM(UTC)
Chad Taylor

United States

Sounds like an overkill computer system for vMix. Will you be doing anything else with it?

The PTZOptics PT20x is at 1080 camera so the vMix 4K will be a bit of a waste. Only Sony and Panasonic have good 4k PTZ cameras currently and they are a bit pricey.

Decklink Duo will server you well although you could go with NDI/HX and simplify your cabling. You will need to build out a decent gigabit network but nothing fancy. You could even use a POE gigabit switch and not even need to run power to the cameras, i believe the cameras need POE+. NDI/HX is fine for 98% of churches. Where NDI falls apart is in fast motion, like football games.

Also i would look at the ElGato Streamdeck over the x-keys. I think you would be fine either way but its worth a look.

Hope that helps

Chad
Varnell UMC  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2020 11:24:34 PM(UTC)
Varnell UMC

United States

Thanks Chad for your reply and suggestions!

The system will just be used for worship, but we will use it to stream our services to YouTube and/or Facebook Live, record the services so we can make DVDs for our non-tech homebound members, and possible stream to some other displays/projectors throughout the church building. I knew the system was a little more "powerful" than I needed, but I am one of those that tries to go a little more than what you might need because of what might be ahead. I cannot tell you how many churches I have been in where they didn't think ahead and had to upgrade only a short time later when technology changed.

Thanks for the information about SDI vs NDI. Not having used these cameras before, that was one of the main questions I had, if NDI would be enough. I have no problem setting up a POE+ gigabit network nor making the cables needed. That will definitely be a lot easier for sure.

The only reason I was planning on purchasing vMix 4K was that it is the first level of vMix that adds PTZ control. I was just thinking if I did not have to have a extra expensive PTZ Camera Controller that might simplify things a little.

Chris
Chad Taylor  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2020 2:16:38 PM(UTC)
Chad Taylor

United States

Yeah i always forget about the artificial limitation of only allowing PTZ control in the 4k versions.

Glad i could help in any way. Let me know if i can be of any other service.

Chad