logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
zachb36  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2020 10:21:53 AM(UTC)
zachb36

Groups: Registered
United States

I had the craziest issue today, and no idea what I changed between this Sunday's service and last Sunday's, but after the service we were told by some users that they couldn't hear the audio on their android mobile devices on Facebook OR YouTube. Sure enough, I pulled it up on my wife's android phone, and it was like the audio was trying to come through, but wouldn't.

I then converted the video's recorded file afterwards in handbrake, uploaded, same problem on JUST those devices.

After spending the entire afternoon researching this issue, I found out it has to do with some mobile devices have problems converting the stereo to mono. So in DaVinci resolve, I set my video's audio to mono, rendered, SAME PROBLEM.

I then used VLC player to export the video files audio to an MP3, loaded it up in Audacity, converted the stereo track to mono, which resulted in the SAME exact quiet, slightly mouse squeak level sound that we first heard on the android devices. So something with the way that VMix is rendering my audio is making it not convert right for Facebook/YouTube/Audacity/Davinci Resolve.

So then I split the stereo tracks, opened a new Audacity window, and copy pasted one of them into a new mono track, exported as Mp3, imported to DaVinci Resolve, removed the audio from the video after matching up the new mono mp3 audio, exported, uploaded, boom - working!

Now that I know what the problem is, how do I fix this in vMix and enable my android users to hear the stream?

Thank you!
Geoff B  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2020 2:13:43 PM(UTC)
Geoff B

Man
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Sounds to me like your channels are 180° out of phase. When they get mixed together, they cancel each other out. I'm not sure how this could happen if you're mixing the show in vMix, but it could easily happen if you're bringing in audio from an external audio console.
admin  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2020 4:17:07 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
zachb36  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2020 1:51:37 AM(UTC)
zachb36

United States

Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
https://www.vmix.com/knowledgebase/article.aspx/143/facebook-stream-audio-very-low-muted-or-missing

Thank you, that was helpful. Just one more question. So our setup is an sound board with the 1/4th cable coming from the sound board's output panel to a 3.5 mm line in on the computer. It sounds like that's causing the issue? How do I avoid that? XLR output to the 3.5? or?

Thank you!
zenvideo  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2020 3:32:22 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Originally Posted by: zachb36 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
https://www.vmix.com/knowledgebase/article.aspx/143/facebook-stream-audio-very-low-muted-or-missing

So our setup is an sound board with the 1/4th cable coming from the sound board's output panel to a 3.5 mm line in on the computer. It sounds like that's causing the issue? How do I avoid that? XLR output to the 3.5? or?

If your "stereo" audio is out of phase, and you're taking it via a three-pole 1/4" jack output on the sound board, my first suspicion would be that the output you're using is not actually stereo but in fact a "balanced" mono feed, where the two signal connections are out of phase with each other. There are three suggestions I'd make:-

1) Try connecting the cable to the headphone output of the mixer as that is more likely to be an unbalanced stereo signal, and if that works OK then look for another socket which also has unbalanced stereo output. If you can't find one, then:-

2) Try using a cable with a mono (two-pole) 1/4" jack out of the sound board, as this will not be capable of taking an "out of phase stereo signal" (ie a balanced audio signal). Or use a cable with two 2-pole 1/4" jacks for the sound board end (for L & R outputs) and a 3.5mm stereo jack at the computer end.

3) In vMix, change the Audio Settings for that input. In the General tab, change the Channel setting from All to Separate Mono. Then in the Channel Matrix turn on every setting in the Ch-1 column (so that the Ch-1 connection goes to both left & right output) and turn off every setting in the Ch-2 column (so that the out-of-phase Ch-2 doesn't get to cancel out Ch-1). That should solve it in case you don't have an alternative cable, but I think a different cable is a better long-term solution so as not to have to remember these vMix changes if you ever have to re-add this audio input.