logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kilerb  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 8, 2020 1:40:15 PM(UTC)
kilerb

Groups: Registered
United States

Hey there... I just want to stream 3 or 4 Panasonic GH5's through VMix... Would be willing to do 1080p or 4k. I have a good i9 computer with 64gb ram... Was wondering what the most reliable hardware would be? Was looking at BlackMagic Decklink Quad and the Magewell Pro Capture Quad card. The BlackMagic one seems like a great bang for the buck, but some seem to have issues with it working at different frame rates or going out of audio sync after awhile. Was also looking at the ATEM Mini Pro, which is heavily back ordered. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on which way to go for great quality picture and also great reliability. Thanks!!!
KnKproductions  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 8, 2020 8:29:13 PM(UTC)
KnKproductions

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
You'll definitely want to decide between 1080 and 4k before buying cards, in my opinion. The 4k hardware stuff always costs so much more. I figure that if you plan on doing a lot of streaming in 4k or will be doing virtual ptz stuff, the 4k cards are the way to go. Otherwise, 1080p60 at a 6000 bitrate still looks really really good and will work well with GH5's picture.
I think the most important thing, before deciding 1080 or 4k, is good lighting and framing. Having that will ensure a great video feed regardless of resolution.
kilerb  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2020 2:24:48 AM(UTC)
kilerb

United States

The crazy part is the Blackmagic 4K card is a few hundred less than the Magewell 1080p card. Apparently it’s a bit more finicky with frame rates and resolutions. Some say not as easy to use out of the box. 1 person on YouTube complained audio goes out of sync after longer periods. He was on Mac though so not sure if that would be an issue on pc. The vmix guys didn’t a demo in 4K 60fps and it was so crystal clear. Here’s the vid.

al4video  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2020 11:43:43 AM(UTC)
al4video

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Black magic Decklink cards are not finicky. I have been using them for years and they work great. Should you decide to go 4k pick your cards carefully. There are Black Magic Cards with 4 inputs but they arent all 4k when using 2 or more cameras. Check the specs and choose only if you see the word "independent" input. Secondly, if you have more than 2 4k inputs you better have one hell of a machine. I have my cards in the sonnet external box which has the extra power connector needed by some high-end Decklink cards and it works like a charm, super quiet. You do need Thunderbolt 3 though.
https://tinyurl.com/y6wl93wp
kilerb  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2020 12:03:18 PM(UTC)
kilerb

United States

Thanks! I'm actually buying an internal Blackmagic PCI-e card to go right in my computer? I'm assuming I won't have to deal with any thunderbolt equipment in that scenario? The card I'm getting does say it has 4 independent HDMI 2.0b input connections. Thanks!