logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DJ Scholtes  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2020 12:24:15 PM(UTC)
DJ Scholtes

Groups: Registered
United States

Hey guys, new here. I've looked at other forum topics related to my technical issues, but haven't found the solution to my current problem. Here's the run-down:

I have a Behrenger X-32 that routes into Pro Tools 12. Pro Tools then routes back to the X-32, which then routes into Vmix. This is to create a much better livestream mix for our church services, while not messing with front of house mix. That's the routing set up.

Everything works just fine, except for one thing: On the recording/livestream of Vmix, I get a crackling/popping sound every now and then.

• I've ensured the bit rates are matching as best as possible (mixer is 44.1, Pro Tools is 44.1 24 bit, Vmix is 44.1 32 bit)

• I've changed the Audio input from Low Latency to High Performance mode

• I made sure that my drivers and firmware are up to date (at least from what I can see)

• I have plugins on Pro Tools (vocal compression, EQ, delay), which I know might be part of the problem

I still can't seem to rid our live recording of crackles and pops...like intermittent bacon fat popping in a pan.

Is there something I might be missing? The video also appears to glitch during these pops/crackles, as if there is a processing issue between prot tools and vmix. I notice it most on the vocal channels with the most plugins also.

Is there something I can do to help remove these crackles? A vmix plugin perhaps to improve latency? I know I have a lot going on, but any help will be appreciated!

Thanks
cwaterho  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2020 5:31:11 AM(UTC)
cwaterho

Canada

We've had a similar problem, its not the incoming audio. We are using a Behringer audio capture device (UM2) via USb then directly into Vmix. Its not clipping or anything and its just heard when listening through Vmix but it is in the output stream for sure.

Chris
DJ Scholtes  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2020 1:56:05 PM(UTC)
DJ Scholtes

United States

Originally Posted by: cwaterho Go to Quoted Post
We've had a similar problem, its not the incoming audio. We are using a Behringer audio capture device (UM2) via USb then directly into Vmix. Its not clipping or anything and its just heard when listening through Vmix but it is in the output stream for sure.

Chris

Exactly. Everything else seems fine until played back through Vmix. Then I get crackles/pop.

I set the bit rates equal and low. I'm just not sure what to do at this point .
ask  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2020 8:28:44 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Try a quick google search without including vMix in the search terms. Here is one result which may tell you what is going on. (HINT, it is not vMix!) https://www.loopmasters....In-Your-Audio-Recordings
DJ Scholtes  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2020 10:07:50 AM(UTC)
DJ Scholtes

United States

Originally Posted by: ask Go to Quoted Post
Try a quick google search without including vMix in the search terms. Here is one result which may tell you what is going on. (HINT, it is not vMix!) https://www.loopmasters....In-Your-Audio-Recordings

Good stuff. Thanks. CPU runs between 5 and 6 percent. Super low. The computer I use is dedicated to the live stream only.

I'll look into the plugins I use in protools. Often thought this might be a culprit, just haven't tested that yet.

I also noticed that even though the sample rates between my X32, Pro Tools and Vmix are all 44.1kHz, the bit depths are 16 bit, 24 bit, then 16 bit respectively. Might try matching those to see what changes also
Len56  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2020 12:44:19 AM(UTC)
Len56

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Hi, I have a X32 producer, I run vMix and my X32 in 48000 NOT 44100 and I dont get any clicks and pops.

Are you using the X32 X-USB ASIO Driver in the vMix setup? I am.

And what ASIO buffer settings are you using? I have mine set to 1024 samples and the safe box is ticked.

The reason I ask these questions is it sounds like your X32 sample rate is set to high or to low and that can cause clicks and pops.

You set the buffer settings in the USB Control Panel at the bottom of your screen in your task bar.
DJ Scholtes  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2020 2:42:34 AM(UTC)
DJ Scholtes

United States

Originally Posted by: Len56 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, I have a X32 producer, I run vMix and my X32 in 48000 NOT 44100 and I dont get any clicks and pops.

Are you using the X32 X-USB ASIO Driver in the vMix setup? I am.

And what ASIO buffer settings are you using? I have mine set to 1024 samples and the safe box is ticked.

The reason I ask these questions is it sounds like your X32 sample rate is set to high or to low and that can cause clicks and pops.

You set the buffer settings in the USB Control Panel at the bottom of your screen in your task bar.

1. Yes, I am using the X USB ASIO Driver
2. The buffer size is 1024 samples
3. I set the board to 44.1 because when I set it to 48, there is no play back from the computer back to the X32. Its as though the USB doesn't support 48k playback.

The catch here is that I integrated Pro Tools into the chain of audio. This might be where I'm getting tripped up. You see, when I record to Pro Tools alone, no clicks or pops. Yet, when I record to Vmix through protools there are lots of pops/crackles/clicks. Its as thought there is an encoding bug happening between Pro Tools and Vmix that I'm trying to find
Len56  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2020 2:59:11 AM(UTC)
Len56

Man
United Kingdom

Have you tried setting Pro Tools to 44.1 16 bit and Vmix to 44.1 16 bit).

I'm using vMix in 48000 16bit with no problems.

It maybe the case that 24bit and 32bit is to much for your PC, that could be the problem.

Also make sure your X32 drivers and firmware are up to date.
DJ Scholtes  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2020 3:48:54 AM(UTC)
DJ Scholtes

United States

Have you tried setting Pro Tools to 44.1 16 bit and Vmix to 44.1 16 bit).

I'm using vMix in 48000 16bit with no problems.

It maybe the case that 24bit and 32bit is to much for your PC, that could be the problem.

Also make sure your X32 drivers and firmware are up to date.

I've gone about it from almost every angle/ I started with Pro Tools, Vmix and the Mixer in 44.1 at 16 bit. I've also done everything in 48k, matching the bit depth as best as possible.

I just discovered something interesting though. I ONLY get crackling/popping when I record on Vmix. It does not do it live though the system...only when I hit record. Is it possible that the record settings need to be tweeked on Vmix?

I appreciate the help, by the way.
Len56  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2020 4:00:43 AM(UTC)
Len56

Man
United Kingdom

Yes, what codec are you recording in as some codecs are CPU intensive, and what type of hard drive are you recording to? I record in MP4 with no problems.
DJ Scholtes  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2020 4:12:44 AM(UTC)
DJ Scholtes

United States

In Vmix recording set up it is the MagicYUV lossless video codec. The hard drive is AMD FX Eight Core Processor (gonna be honest...never looked this up before).

DJ Scholtes  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2020 4:46:38 AM(UTC)
DJ Scholtes

United States

Yes, what codec are you recording in as some codecs are CPU intensive, and what type of hard drive are you recording to? I record in MP4 with no problems.

Here's what is on my computer for codecs:
Codecs.PNG (57kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

The codecs seem to be off a bit from Vmix to my computer. The MagicYUV 1.1 is 64 bit in Vmix, but 32 bit in my computer. And the audio codecs in my computer look to be versions 10.0 or higher, but in vmix they are set to 9.2.

FYI, this is a realm I am VERY unfamiliar with now...I know very little about encoding
Len56  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2020 12:59:07 AM(UTC)
Len56

Man
United Kingdom

So you are recording in AVI using the Magic codec in vMix, this could be the problem try recording in MP4 and see that works.
DJ Scholtes  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2020 2:01:25 AM(UTC)
DJ Scholtes

United States

So you are recording in AVI using the Magic codec in vMix, this could be the problem try recording in MP4 and see that works.

I'm learning this as I go, so thank you for your patience. I am now recording in MP4, and there is still crackling. I unchecked the box "Use Hardware Encoder" and tested audio, then rechecked it after testing again. Both times had crackling in it. The more I test and retest, the more I believe that Pro Tools and Vmix are missing a simple communication between each other. Codecs are not a strong point for me, so I appreciate the help on this!
Len56  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2020 3:44:36 AM(UTC)
Len56

Man
United Kingdom

OK, on your PC what size Processor does it have, how much RAM does it have and what GPU does it have?

Pro Tools is quite a CPU intensive programme even more so when using VST plugins and running vMix at the same time.
DJ Scholtes  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2020 8:09:07 AM(UTC)
DJ Scholtes

United States

OK, on your PC what size Processor does it have, how much RAM does it have and what GPU does it have?

Pro Tools is quite a CPU intensive programme even more so when using VST plugins and running vMix at the same time.

Processor: 4.00 GHz
RAM: 16 GB
Graphics: Radeon RX 480

During a recording session I noticed that my CPU would sit around 22-25% (which was about 3.99 - 4.01 GHz). Perhaps my Processor needs to be upped, or is that irrelevant because my RAM is 16 GB?

Len56  
#17 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2020 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Len56

Man
United Kingdom

OK a couple of things here, your AMD CPU and Radeon GPU could be the problem, vMix works best with Intel CPU's and nVidia GPU's.

Take a look at this forums Systems section it may answer some questions regarding the AMD CPU's and Radeon GPU's, if not maybe go to the support page and email support they could advise you on what to do.

Len.
thanks 1 user thanked Len56 for this useful post.
DJ Scholtes on 4/24/2020(UTC)
DJ Scholtes  
#18 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2020 1:56:18 AM(UTC)
DJ Scholtes

United States

OK a couple of things here, your AMD CPU and Radeon GPU could be the problem, vMix works best with Intel CPU's and nVidia GPU's.

Take a look at this forums Systems section it may answer some questions regarding the AMD CPU's and Radeon GPU's, if not maybe go to the support page and email support they could advise you on what to do.

Len.

Will do, and thank you for the help thus far! I sent this off to my tech guy at the church, who is far more capable of making these changes. I'll keep you posted on how this comes along.

DJ Scholtes  
#19 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2020 12:36:49 AM(UTC)
DJ Scholtes

United States

Len.

SOLVED! (at least on way to solve it with my budget). As the church grows, we are looking to update our computer system, so until then, I tried another routing method.

Here WAS my routing:

Input (worship band) --> Behringer X32 --> Pro Tools on live stream computer --> back to X32 --> back into live stream computer to Vmix.

All this was through the USB Card on the X32. I thought maybe I was overburdening this line, like I had too much going back and forth, thus causing signal bugs in Vmix. So I decided to try a more traditional/olden days route (I say this because I miss analog sometimes).

Here's my new routing:

Input (worship band) --> Behringer X32 --> Pro Tools on live stream computer through the USB Card --> Back to X32 by way of USB Card--> Back to the live stream computer through Auxiliary Out to the live stream computer Line In jack --> Into Vmix

All the crackling/popping/static is now GONE. But, as is the way with running it in this manner, I have fan noise and ground noise coming through the mix. I'm not a fan of noise gates in live recording, so I downloaded a VST3/AAX plugin called Brusfri, which cuts unwanted noise. I added the plugin to Vmix, activated it, and the noise was eliminated.

With out church budget, this works for now. My goal is to get dedicated computers for each process we run (Protools, Vmix, etc).

Thanks for the help so far!
Len56  
#20 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2020 2:07:18 AM(UTC)
Len56

Man
United Kingdom

Fantastic news at least you are up and running for now until you upgrade your PC's.