logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
steveweiss  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2020 7:59:32 AM(UTC)
steveweiss

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I’m able to successfully connect two remote vMix systems or iOS (Larix Broadcaster) via SRT. However, I need to get a stream from a musician into vMix with high quality audio and cannot figure out a method to get from his macOS over the Internet into vMix. We’ve tried vmix call but the audio is only streaming at 65kbps and it sounds pretty bad.

I tried setting him up with OBS 25, but it seems like they do not support SRT on MacOS yet - or Atleast the version of ffmpeg they include doesn’t. I tried having him install the home brew ffmpeg with srt but couldn’t get that to work in OBS. I tried streaming his webcam via VLC, which didn’t work either.

Does anyone have a free or low cost option for a direct connection from macOS to vMix? The quality of the feeds I have been able to get working using SRT via iOS or PC are really incredible.
Anders  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2020 12:41:54 AM(UTC)
Anders

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I have the exact same use case, and am looking for basically a macOS equivalent to Garanin Apps SRTstreamer.
Let me know if you find a solution.
steveweiss  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2020 1:44:42 AM(UTC)
steveweiss

I'm hoping OBS makes the changes required to their macOS version of ffmpeg soon, which would make it pretty easy. According to an OBS developer on 4/4, they said they would be updating it soon. https://obsproject.com/mantis/view.php?id=1619 I have not been able to find any other solutions, but I will let you know if I do.
thanks 1 user thanked steveweiss for this useful post.
Anders on 4/18/2020(UTC)
Anders  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2020 4:20:55 AM(UTC)
Anders

I actually have it working with OBS on macOS now. I did the testing with the Haivision Play Pro ios app as the listener and receiver, and I could only get audio with a black screen from macos obs while it worked from win10 obs.
So I assumed that it was macos OBS that was the issue, but now I tried with vMix as the receiver and it works perfectly. Both on my lan and from outside my lan through a 4G connected mac.

Have you tested on your lan? Are you sure your network is set up properly with port forwarding to receive from outside your lan?

My OBS is v.25.0.7.

Anders
steveweiss  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2020 5:13:41 AM(UTC)
steveweiss

Did you do anything to get SRT enabled in ffmpeg or just out of the box installation?
Anders  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2020 5:20:17 AM(UTC)
Anders

No, standard install. I woudn't know how to alter a ffmpeg/obs install anyway.

Stream server is set to srt://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:XXXX?latency=1000000
This sets latency to 1 sec.
thanks 1 user thanked Anders for this useful post.
stigaard on 4/23/2020(UTC)
steveweiss  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2020 2:54:06 AM(UTC)
steveweiss

I can confirm this is working now in the latest version of OBS for macOS. Video looks good and audio sounds great, using SRT in both directions with OBS on a mac over the internet. They are sending me high quality video and audio and I am returning my output to them at a low bit rate so they can see what I'm streaming and hear me. They put OBS into studio mode so they can see what they are sending me and what I am sending them at the same time.

Using srt://ipaddress:port?latency=200&pbkeylen=32 and default settings in vMix. vMix is setup for both connections as listener and I setup UDP port forwarding on my router for those two ports.

Works great - thanks for the help.
thanks 1 user thanked steveweiss for this useful post.
stigaard on 4/23/2020(UTC)
Anders  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2020 12:12:05 AM(UTC)
Anders

Good to hear that you got it working. I just did a test with two musicians playing through soundjack.eu with two srt sources from each through obs and larix.

Nice idea with the return feed. Is Studio mode working ok for you? There has been some issues with Mac OBS and studio mode, but maybe they are resolved.

Regarding your latency setting, is it set in ms? According to the obs wiki it is set in μs and not ms.

"The most important option is latency in microseconds (μs). It has a default value of 120 ms = 120 000 μs and should be at least 2.5 * (the round-trip time between encoder and ingest server, in ms).
Ex: for a latency of 1 sec, set latency=1000000 ."
steveweiss  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2020 2:35:31 AM(UTC)
steveweiss

You had the two musicians playing together somehow? This doesn't seem possible to me. We didn't have any issues with studio mode, they were able to see my feed without issue.
Anders  
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2020 6:32:57 PM(UTC)
Anders

Yes, they run their audio through soundjack.eu. We are getting about 20ms latency between the musicians which is borderline, but it works.
Music that is super tight and locked in is hard, but for other things it works ok.
emylio  
#11 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2020 10:01:44 PM(UTC)
emylio

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Anders Go to Quoted Post
Yes, they run their audio through soundjack.eu. We are getting about 20ms latency between the musicians which is borderline, but it works.
Music that is super tight and locked in is hard, but for other things it works ok.

Hello,

Very interesting !
if I understand correctly, you receive the sound via soudjack.eu (great sound, very low latency ?) and you receive the webcams via SRT? And you sync video and audio into vmix ?

I have some troubles with latency on OBS, i nerver have less of 2 seconds. Maybe i made a mistake in the output of vmix for return video. Vmix has to be on listener on input and output ? Do you use the rendez-vous ?

Thanks
Anders  
#12 Posted : Saturday, April 25, 2020 2:58:07 AM(UTC)
Anders

Actually, I receive the audio from both musicians on one of the srt feeds from one of the musicians. This way it is less stress on soundjack and the audio is already synced.

The latency from obs to vmix isnt great for me either, but it doesn't matter in my case. Listener or rendez-vous shouldnt matter for latency.
thanks 1 user thanked Anders for this useful post.
emylio on 4/25/2020(UTC)