logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mikebrown  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2020 6:05:34 AM(UTC)
mikebrown

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello all, long time listener first time caller.

Trying to spec a new system for a client of mine, they are willing to spend the $ to do it right.

Here is what I have come up with:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jkv9BZ

vMix Pro Software

PLUS:

Blackmagic Decklink Quad 2 (8 SDI I/O)

AND

YUAN SC560N4 4-Channel PCIe x4 HDMI 4K Capture Card (4 HDMI Inputs)

The goals are:

A few (2 or 3) external computer inputs via HDMI
A couple SDI inputs as necessary
Up to 8 vMix Calls
iso record of vMix calls potentially?

NO replay functionality needed.

Any easy wins I am missing? Should I go for more than 64g of ram?

Stream Breeze  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2020 6:38:53 AM(UTC)
Stream Breeze

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
A couple of things come to mind,
First the 18 core CPU with hyperthreading is probably overkill, but it won't hurt anything except the price.
64 Gig of Ram is probably overkill as well, unless this is your primary video editor and you are using Adobe editing software, then the sky is the limit or money is.

Second you may want to upgrade to a 1000 watt or 1200 watt power supply the RTX-2080 TI is quite a power Hog.

Third if you use any Black Magic capture card(s) add at least one case fan that blows directly on the card(s), they get HOT even when they are not being used. Also another case fan to move the hot air out. Notice that the Yuan 560 card does not even have a fan, they run much cooler.

You may want to consider the Yuan 4K SDI capture card, they now have a four input 12G 4K card, Here is the link: https://www.yuan.com.tw/...e/4k/sc710n4_12g_sdi.htm
That 12G card probably gets hot as well the SC-710 N4 HDMI version does.

Have fun building it!
Steve
thanks 1 user thanked Stream Breeze for this useful post.
mikebrown on 4/22/2020(UTC)
mikebrown  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2020 12:29:19 PM(UTC)
mikebrown

United States

First of all, thank you for taking the time to reply. I'll look into all your suggestions!

Do you think I will have a problem with I/O and vMix callers processing wise? It's hard to gauge what the system capacity will be without more experience on different systems. I only know what my laptop is capable of.
Chad Taylor  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2020 1:47:53 PM(UTC)
Chad Taylor

United States

Pretty much ditto to most of what Stream Breeze said with a few revisions, critiques, and addendums.

For vMix anything more than a 9900k with 16g of ram and a RTX2060 is just massive overkill. That said it all depends on your use case scenario. Ultimately you need alot of IPC which you can get with most modern processors assuming they clock up to 4.2GHz or higher. On CPU Cache does help but only so much.

If you built any highend system with a 212 EVO i would have to cry. 212 is great for lower powered systems but once you pass 6 cores you really need something beefier like a Noctua U12, D14, or d15..not to mention a few others from other brands i wouldn't mind mentioning...but the Noctuas are generally quiter for the performance level.

Look for a case that is airflow centric not flashy or cool. Be sure to load it with the ugliest Noctua fans you can find and make sure to keep your case pressure possitive so that your filtration works correctly for your case. This means more fans sucking air into the case then blowing out. For all the hardware you previously mentioned i would never do an airflow case and would go with a liquid cooled system so that the components didn't have a chance to bake while the fans tried to pull the head away from those beastly parts. BTW if you go with Higher End system specs go with much larger cases if you plan to Air cool. You will need around 6 fans pushing in alone to keep up with the air cycling you will need if you push the components anywhere close to their max performance. Oh and 850watt power supply is fine for that system although 900watts would put you closer to the efficiency curve. You never want to push power supplies past 80% of it's rated performance as it will use much more power than you will get out of it. That said there is nothing stopping you from running a 750watt PS with that system and ever having any issues, assuming it's a quality Power supply.

As far as capture cards are concerned i think you are on the right track.

Chad
mikebrown  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 16, 2020 5:20:15 AM(UTC)
mikebrown

United States

Thanks for the reply Chad!

So this system has been actually up and running for a couple weeks.

Here is more or less the final parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LJXf4n

Processor availability caused me to go for the 9940x and I did actually do the Noctua cooler.

The other major difference is that I am using the BM Duo 2 card instead.

Runs like a dream for the most part.

The only issue is that when using the Duo 2 we get inconsistent frame render times. Going NDI keeps them much more stable.

I am looking into driver issues, but this machine became very busy right away, so its hard to make major changes and then retest everything before the next broadcast.

Things I've tried:

Driver removal and reinstall of several items.

Moved PCI slots to make sure that lanes were being utilized correctly.

Matched incoming resolution/rate to the monitor/project rate.

Still haven't quite nailed it down.

No biggie though.