logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tone13  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2020 8:02:48 AM(UTC)
Tone13

Groups: Registered
Australia

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi all,

I'm setting up to do a live stream in a few days and have just read that a 9xx series GTX card is not recommended for SRT. This will be my first time using SRT.

The system I am using is about 3-4 years old with an 8 Core i7 5960X CPU, 64GB RAM, dual graphics cards (1x GTX950 OC 2GB for displays and 1x GTX Titan X 9 series, which gets used as a compute card when in Adobe Premiere, AE or Resolve).
I was going to do a test with SRT this afternoon from a contributor as I need to receive two SRT feeds from them but wondering if I need to rush out and buy a GTX10 series card instead?

Alternatively, I have a Razer Blade Base 15" laptop with i7-8750H 6 core processor, 16GB RAM and GTX 1060 Max-Q GFX card. Am I better off using this laptop for vmix if I need SRT?

Cheers.
ask  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2020 9:47:00 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tone13 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

I'm setting up to do a live stream in a few days and have just read that a 9xx series GTX card is not recommended for SRT. This will be my first time using SRT.

The system I am using is about 3-4 years old with an 8 Core i7 5960X CPU, 64GB RAM, dual graphics cards (1x GTX950 OC 2GB for displays and 1x GTX Titan X 9 series, which gets used as a compute card when in Adobe Premiere, AE or Resolve).
I was going to do a test with SRT this afternoon from a contributor as I need to receive two SRT feeds from them but wondering if I need to rush out and buy a GTX10 series card instead?

Alternatively, I have a Razer Blade Base 15" laptop with i7-8750H 6 core processor, 16GB RAM and GTX 1060 Max-Q GFX card. Am I better off using this laptop for vmix if I need SRT?

Cheers.

Whilst it is recommended to have up to date hardware for vMix it does not mean that it will not run successfully on older hardware. The best thing for you to do is TEST, TEST then Test again. The newer graphics card will handle hardware encoding better than the older ones, so you may see greater CPU usage when ingesting an SRT stream. Having said that your i7 CPU is also fairly old compared to your laptop. Try on both and see which works better.

PM me if you want help with anything

Andrew
thanks 1 user thanked ask for this useful post.
Tone13 on 4/20/2020(UTC)
Tone13  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2020 8:50:29 PM(UTC)
Tone13

Australia

Thanks for the reply Andrew,

Yeah, both the CPU and GPU are a little older than what is in the Laptop but I thought that an 8 Core @3+GHz plus a GTX Titan with 12GB RAM plus 64GB system RAM would still edge out my laptop with newer hardware...but maybe not.

I've switched over to the laptop just for safety really as rime is a little limited but will do some tests when time allows.

IceStream  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2020 9:13:39 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Tone13

Kindly note, vMix typically responds negatively to dual GPUs in a system where performance is actually halved.

Ice
Tone13  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2020 10:21:48 PM(UTC)
Tone13

Australia

Originally Posted by: IceStream Go to Quoted Post
@ Tone13

Kindly note, vMix typically responds negatively to dual GPUs in a system where performance is actually halved.

Ice

I was wondering this actually and wasn't aware that vmix responds negatively to two GFX cards. I wondered if the titan x (which has no monitors connected as its only for compute) is even seen as a compute card by vMix. In Resolve there is a setting where you can select which card does the compute or if you want to use the display card for compute. No mention of anything in vMix settings wise...