logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mitchstein443  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2019 11:07:21 AM(UTC)
mitchstein443

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I'm running server 2012 r2. I do not access to the machine physically as it is in harrisburg PA and I am in NJ. (6 hour trip)

It is not a Virtual Machine it is a physical server.

I am using microsoft remote desktop to access it.

I installed Vmix latest version, it will not display video a all but streams audio.
I tried known good .mp4 files, avi and wmv..

The files stream perfectly from my local win10 machine.
They also stream fine using vlc player, OBS, and ffmpeg through a command line on the server I cant get to work with vmix..

I tried to do this with server 2016 a few months back, and was never succesfull, so since many people believed it was the OS I changed it to server 2012 r2.

There must be a basic setting I am missing somewhere.. Oh and under 2016 on the same physical machine, I got video but no audio. installed a virtual soundcard driver and got audio but no video..
mitchstein443  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2019 12:58:03 AM(UTC)
mitchstein443

Man
United States

Is vmix just possible to run through remot desktop?

I also tried vnc, it doesn't work that wa and in there the video driver is the nvidia one.. instead of microsft's vga driver in remote desktop.

But every other app works, OBS, VLC, ffmpeg, and half a dozen other things, I can even use pinnacle to edit videos through remote desktop on there and they work fine.. Just not vmix...
mjgraves  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2019 1:16:11 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
vMix makes heavy use of the GPU. It's a complex, live updating UI.

I would not expect it to work over RDP. Or not work well in any case.

Nor would I expect most users to require this.
kgoodyer  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2019 2:08:17 AM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 27 post(s)
I administer over 30 vMix systems, and operate them quiet functionally across the globe remotely using TeamViewer. When I say all over the world, I actually produce multi-camera shows on vMix platforms located in Madrid, Spain - Sydney, Australia - Sal Paulo, Brazil, and Montreal, Canada..... all from my spare room near London in my underpants.

These shows are all broadcast on national satellite, cable and terrestrial TV in 1080i50/60 HD and works very well. Don't even bother trying RDP or VNC based systems, they just don't know how to do video in real time, but TeamViewer hits the button. Teamviewer should be set to 'Quality Mode' when configuring presets etc, but changed to #Speed Mode' when you are doing a production. Video can become laggy in the 'quality mode' but allows you to check things to a pixel perfect level, but when in 'Speed mode' the video keeps up, and you can make reliable and qualified switches.

I strongly recommend using some kind of API driven external controller at your end. This ensures fast (maybe not frame accurate) switching from a remote location.

As you can imagine, all these shows in different time zones, actually getting dressed is somewhat difficult. So underpants it is. I often chuckle to myself, thinking that there are people watching real TV shows in say Australia, and have absolutely no idea the guy vision mixing the show is sat in his underpants in a 2m x 3m spare room in his Underpants.

Oh and the real effect of TeamViewer on the CPU/GPU - almost Zero! (Although it may say 100%). TeamViewer also likes to work in the GPU, but consumes so few resources its not worth worrying about. It MAY appear to MAX out your CPU, but thats ONLY because TeamViewer uses ANY spare CPU capacity to increase the experience. If you are using 98% of your CPU, TeamViewer will use 2% CPU, however if your only using 40% of your CPU TeamViewer May take up the 60% excess. vMix itself ALWAYS seems to get CPU/GPU priority, keeping your production frame rate smooth and sexy.

K

p.s don't try this over a 14.4kbps modem link. :)
thanks 4 users thanked kgoodyer for this useful post.
mjgraves on 10/11/2019(UTC), mitchstein443 on 4/14/2020(UTC), LucaL on 4/23/2020(UTC), eduardocfs on 8/31/2020(UTC)
mitchstein443  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2019 4:37:50 AM(UTC)
mitchstein443

Man
United States

currently I use vmix to run a 24/7 live broadcast out of housee to my server in another state.
The idea was to use a server on the same network as the vmix computer sending to the server on the local network instead of from my house etc.. That is the reason for remote management..

Anyway, I went to harrisburg, hooked up a monitor, keyboard and mouse and used the computer local...

No video.. Audio is fine..

It will overlay jpgs, bmps etc..

It will not render wmv, mp4, mpg, avi etc at all..

However, vlc does, OBS Studio works, wirecast demo is working, xsplit is working, I can use command line to stream through ffmpeg, Pinnacle studio is rendering on the system.
mitchstein443  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2020 2:31:43 AM(UTC)
mitchstein443

Man
United States

I think I have the issue figured out (yeah its been a while)..

I switched to teamviewer only..

But that alone didn't fix the problem. I think the problem might be that there is no physical monitor connected to the server at the remote location. When they plugged in am onitor AND turned it on it works. but if they turn off th monitor or disconnect it, I get no video through vmix..

Since I can not pay for 6 rackspaces to hold just a monitor is it possible to setup a virtul monitor or fool the gpu into thinking a monitor is on and running?

The video adapter is ASPEED family (WDDM). dxdiags shows directx9 with no errors..
stigaard  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2020 3:35:52 AM(UTC)
stigaard

Man
Denmark

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Buy and plug in a Headless unit into the GPU. It is just a small HDMI brick to ensure a monitor is present to keep the GPU running.
thanks 1 user thanked stigaard for this useful post.
mitchstein443 on 4/14/2020(UTC)
coskel22  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2020 4:25:49 AM(UTC)
coskel22

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: stigaard Go to Quoted Post
Buy and plug in a Headless unit into the GPU. It is just a small HDMI brick to ensure a monitor is present to keep the GPU running.

I just set this up on Windows 10 machine for a gov't client.
Link to one if you need it:https://amzn.to/3ccukkv
thanks 1 user thanked coskel22 for this useful post.
mitchstein443 on 4/14/2020(UTC)
mitchstein443  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2020 12:15:22 PM(UTC)
mitchstein443

Man
United States

Yes, I posted this in the facebook vmix group and bam got the same answer in less then 5 minutes...
I had to order one with a VGA plug as that is all that is on the server's video..

Will take a month or so to get it from chin, get it up to harrisburg and get the techs to plug it in....

I'll post results, but I think it will work... And save me alot fo bandwidth at home and free up my i7 desktop!!
mvoccola  
#10 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2020 11:57:12 AM(UTC)
mvoccola

Man
United States

We have been using Microsoft Remote Desktop to configure vMix on Win10Pro machine both on LAN and VPN. The machine has no monitors attached nor monitor emulators and all seems to work well. Is there anything I should be aware of or are we safe to use this in actual production?

Essentially, is there any performance or stability difference between Microsoft Remote and TeamViewer?
Geoff B  
#11 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2020 2:00:58 PM(UTC)
Geoff B

Man
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mvoccola Go to Quoted Post
We have been using Microsoft Remote Desktop to configure vMix on Win10Pro machine both on LAN and VPN. The machine has no monitors attached nor monitor emulators and all seems to work well. Is there anything I should be aware of or are we safe to use this in actual production?

Essentially, is there any performance or stability difference between Microsoft Remote and TeamViewer?

In their write-up on using vMix on AWS, they specifically say not to use Microsoft RDP. I use TeamViewer or Teradici (when I need to pass USB/MIDI devices) with good results. The only issue I've ever had is the remote software eating up some GPU resources. Your desktop resolution will make a pretty big difference in the GPU load, moreso on Teradici. I usually stick with 1920x1080.

mvoccola  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2020 12:35:22 AM(UTC)
mvoccola

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Geoff B Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mvoccola Go to Quoted Post

In their write-up on using vMix on AWS, they specifically say not to use Microsoft RDP. I use TeamViewer or Teradici (when I need to pass USB/MIDI devices) with good results. The only issue I've ever had is the remote software eating up some GPU resources. Your desktop resolution will make a pretty big difference in the GPU load, moreso on Teradici. I usually stick with 1920x1080.

Ah yes, I remember reading that a while back now. Thank you!
DaveT  
#13 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2020 9:06:56 AM(UTC)
DaveT

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Parsec, which is meant for gaming, is amazing for things like VMIX (and remote editing).

Super fast, and you get everything clear and at a high framerate.