logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
clafarge  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 4, 2020 12:00:18 AM(UTC)
clafarge

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Our last successful event was March 21, 2020, using 23.0.0.46. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVfZqHtbW10)

I also demoed my preset successfully on Saturday, March 28, 2020.

I updated to 23.0.0.49 on March 30, 2020, then to 23.0.0.50 on April 2, 2020 (the morning of this evening Tech Check).

In the tech check, I had:
  • one user in Camden SC, USA with "normal" connection: decent AV, avg latency, no issues. I did not get his Speed-Test results.
  • three users in the same community with nearly a full minute from my "Can you hear me" to their "Yes".
  • those 3 users shares a 250MbpsD/30MbpsU connection through TruVista, according to Speed Test at the time of the event
  • one user in Cincinnati OH, USA, also with nearly a full minute from my "Can you hear me" to their "Yes".
  • the OH user has a 500/50 connection, according to Speed Test at the time of the event
  • audio for the 4 affected users was very choppy

I had one caller rejoin twice, then I closed down vMix, restarted, and had them all rejoin, and the result was the same. I then had all join a Zoom meeting and video was clear, audio 5*5.

I released everyone, reopened vMix and submitted a support request, then used the vMix site Contact form to request support, providing my serial as well the 5 vMixCall Keys used.

Please let me know if others are experiencing the same. I'd have an easier time attributing it to regional bandwidth if I didn't have those two anomalies: one bad in OH, and one good in SC among 3 other bads. I'd have an easier time attributing it to a bad update if I didn't have the one good caller in SC. I don't know where to go with this.

Also, it would be helpful to have the vMixCall server's TURN URI to feed to https://test.webrtc.org/ for testing purposes.

My live event is scheduled for Tuesday. I'll be troubleshooting to the extent that I'm able through the weekend and performing another Tech Check Monday afternoon.

Thank you,

Chad
mavik  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 4, 2020 12:24:38 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 147 post(s)
If you need a long distance oversees tester let me know.
You can enable the "allow only direct peer2peer" to see if they all are able to connect to you directly. If not, the connection will use a TURN server which could get congested.

You can explain the different experiences very easily with just that. webRTC uses either a p2p or a TURN connection. This is per connection. With 5 callers 4 can have TURN and one p2p or any other mixture. Enabling the tick box wil show you which one uses it.
admin  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 4, 2020 12:25:23 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4145 time(s) in 1490 post(s)
Hi Chad,

vMix itself has very small buffers in the sub-second range, this is also the case with most browsers, and our servers.

So a very long delay well above this usually indicates the caller is on a congested 3G/4G/5G connection either directly on the phone or via tethering,
can you confirm if this was the case for the callers experiencing issues?

Regards,

Martin
vMix
clafarge  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 4, 2020 1:32:04 AM(UTC)
clafarge

Man
United States

Martin,

The 3 callers in Camden, SC are on their admin building's NON-fiber connection (TruVista 250/30... had bad info in the original post... correcting), from which they did this event in January (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-JJVc3B8Ho). The caller in Cincinnati is on her fiber connection at home (Cincinnati Bell Fioptics). Only the "good" connection appears to possibly be 4G, as he was using an i[Device], but I believe he indicated it's an iPad, so I suspect he's WiFi to whatever on Earth they use at home. I didn't get much info from him as he was "clean".

I've asked for more specific ISP info from the school.

Mavik, thank you for your offer... I might at that! Thank you for making yourself available.

Thank you!

Chad
clafarge  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 4, 2020 5:34:55 AM(UTC)
clafarge

Man
United States

Martin,

I just re-tested with only one of the callers from last night and we had clean AV. If you guys don't see anything in your logs related to the Keys I submitted about 20 hours ago, I'll hold out for Monday evening's Tech Check, drop to 720p just in case, and pray for a smooth show Tuesday. Wish us luck, sir.

Best,

Chad
al4video  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2020 9:48:25 AM(UTC)
al4video

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: clafarge Go to Quoted Post
Martin,

I just re-tested with only one of the callers from last night and we had clean AV. If you guys don't see anything in your logs related to the Keys I submitted about 20 hours ago, I'll hold out for Monday evening's Tech Check, drop to 720p just in case, and pray for a smooth show Tuesday. Wish us luck, sir.

Best,

Chad

I can be available for any one who wanted to do some testing. I need to do some testing as well.

I'm in Columbia Sc, just 25 miles from Camden.

Al