logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shawntempesta  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2020 2:34:38 AM(UTC)
shawntempesta

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hey. Love the product and needing it now more than ever... but vMix Call has gotten less reliable it seems with the latest update.

The most recent issue: total freezing of incoming calls. Or latency that can equal several (over 5) seconds... I am thinking more than the update, perhaps the vMix Call servers are getting battered. Either way it's currently unusable. Help!
thanks 1 user thanked shawntempesta for this useful post.
al4video on 3/30/2020(UTC)
mavik  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2020 8:30:02 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
These days, with the high load on all networks and cloud providers, you might want to try SRT. Secure Reliable Transport. Exactly what you want to have.
admin  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2020 12:32:24 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi,

We have seen congestion on various internet connections in recent days, outside of vMix Call that can cause the symptoms you have described.
However our servers themselves all have ample capacity, and since vMix Call works peer to peer there is not much we can do about general internet congestion.

In this case, I believe Shawn discovered the problem went away after a while, so it appears that congestion on the internet at the moment may become
more of an issue, until network providers increase capacity to cope.

Rest assured, we will do everything we can do ensure on our side there is plenty of capacity to go around.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
jacklavey  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 10:31:46 PM(UTC)
jacklavey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hey,

Just wanted to add to this thread about the potential congestion due to covid-19. Our team uses vmix call pretty heavily, and we've started seeing freezing issues as well.

We tested Skype and Facetime and those seemed to work really well, Facetime having the better results though both hugely lacking the VMIXCALL features that we use and needing workarounds. It makes me wonder if the internet server providers have things like Skype and Facetime prioritized in their QOS but when their network sees VMIX call coming through it gets heavily throttled even though its not that much bandwidth.

To Martin's point about Vmix call Servers, we never have an issue initializing and connecting a call, its only when the call has started, again almost looking like the ISP starts to throttle that DATA once it recognizes it.

Yesterday I did some testing:

From Austin to Baltimore - Video would start freezing up on clients end within 15-20 seconds, would freeze on our end within about a minute
From Austin to another location in Austin - Video would consistently Freeze up within 5 minutes, still not usable, but closer to better
From Austin to California - This was slightly usable, Audio would stay at least where Video would get locked up
2 devices on Same network - This worked great and just goes to show Peer to Peer is working fine when not going out over the public internet

From austin to Austin over ATT Fiber - video locks up within 1 minute
From austin to Austin over Grande Fiber - video locks up within 5 minutes
From austin to Austin over cellular (T-mobile) - video locks up within 3 minutes

We also ran Trace Route from our Meraki Routers here to different locations we were testing to and the congestion didn't seem that crazy. Speed Tests on both sides were fine, 400 up and down, 100 up and down. I'll post pictures later if I get a chance.

All that said, for now we are switching to Skype and using the NDI Skype tools to bring Skype in and send out multiview to Skype as a source back to callers. Only issue their is while each caller comes up as a separate NDI source, they all have the same audio and the audio doesn't get separated out, but other than that, Skype seems to be working pretty well for now. If anyone else is having trouble, here is a link to Tim's video on Vmix Skype integration.

admin  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 10:47:08 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Jack,

First thing to check is to sure you are not ticking Low Latency mode when adding the call inputs in vMix.
This is an issue we are commonly seeing, as Low Latency mode only works on a perfect high speed internet connection without any congestion at all.

Second would be to see if the calls are working peer to peer or being forced by firewall rules to connect via our servers.
You can check this in statistics in the vMix Call manager down the bottom under Address.
If this is the public IP address of the caller then it is direct, if not (our servers are generally in the 104.x.x.x range) then
there may be firewalls or antivirus blocking the path.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

thanks 2 users thanked admin for this useful post.
jacklavey on 3/25/2020(UTC), clibil on 9/25/2021(UTC)
jacklavey  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 11:18:18 PM(UTC)
jacklavey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hey Martin,

Thank you for the quick response, just go this back from one of my guys at the studio, I'll be headed in their soon to do some more testing. It looks like we typically do not use the low latency mode. And then he is seeing that the IP addresses are in the 192 range. I know this morning they were testing Vmix call again to see if it would work with Skype on standby, checking now to see if VmixCall has stabilized and if they are sticking with that this morning.

Tyler Ulses:studio_microphone: 7:55 AM
Hey @jacklavey, we checked both of Martin's solutions and we have not checked that low latency box that he mentioned and we were getting IP addresses in the 192 range and not the 104, so all seems to be good. Not sure what the addresses were yesterday and the day before, but I can guarantee that the low latency box was not checked

*edit* so we have one producer just outside Austin Vmix called in just passively watching the show to test and his signal is smooth, but he is hitting the 104 IP, so I'm wondering now if yesterday we were getting a lot of 104 guests. I'll check on that through out the day. My second hunch was that, is it possible that since its still early here in the states, maybe the heavy internet traffic due to quarantine hasn't really started yet (netflix, gaming and other entertainment streaming services)
admin  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2020 2:52:43 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

We are seeing some really insanely high usage numbers on vMix Call at the moment on an already stressed internet!

All we can do is to ensure our own servers have enough capacity, and we have been steadily upgrading them as needed.
However, the wider internet is a concern and users may need to carefully select what times of day they stream, particularly with multiple callers.

If it helps users out there peak time for vMix Call is generally between 9AM and 9PM in your local time zone with the highest usage in the middle of these times (mid afternoon).
We have servers covering the three major regions of the Americas, Europe and Asia Pacific and they all tend to follow this usage pattern.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
clibil on 9/25/2021(UTC)