logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pm  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2020 9:41:32 PM(UTC)
pm

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Hi

I would like to share my experience with VLC plugin 3.0.8 which is available since October 2019.

https://www.vmix.com/kno.../installing-vlc-for-vmix

I'm using the old VLC plugin 2.2.5.1 (and older versions) since the first release for ingesting multiple RTSP cameras. With version 2 the latency is minimal and also all the RTSP streams are staying in sync over days. With this setup I do all my multicam live productions.

I updated to VLC plugin 3.0.8 in January, but I had to revert back to the old one after two productions.

Reasons:
- With the same VLC buffer settings, the internal delay of version 3.0.8 is much higher. I had to give an additional delay of 300ms to the audio to get lipsync. All in all, the overall delay is too much for live switching.
- Version 3.0.8 has problems to hold multiple streams in sync. It seems there is something like a variable buffer applied to the internal processing queue of VLC. Because over time the cameras drift away for multiple seconds. This drift can start already after 30min or so.

Reverting back to 2.2.5.1 solved all the mentioned problems. Much lower latency and no sync problems.

I've done these tests at the same location and with exactly the same infrastructure (network, software version except VLC plugin, etc.).

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Regards,
Patrick
elvis55  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2020 11:12:55 PM(UTC)
elvis55

Groups: Registered
Switzerland

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Hallo

It is actually so. I tested both times. Version 3.0.8 freezes the video for me.
For RTMP it would be better to use input flash. It works with input flash, practically no latency compared to VLC for vMix. Input stream with VLC for vMix 4x longer latency than with Flash.
The problem with flash is that if the connection is lost, flash no longer starts automatically, only manually with reset.
Can't you implement RTMP again in Flash that everything works? Would be a huge advantage. Thank you

Gruss