logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
aci85  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 15, 2020 9:18:54 PM(UTC)
aci85

Groups: Registered
Italy

hello, I would like hardware advice. I use two c920 webcams for the ports connected to the usb ports of the laptop. It was fine to start but now I would like to start serious. Can I better exploit the potential of these webcams by connecting them to the PC in a different way? I read about SDI, HDMI connections, I would like to improve but I don't know how. I also have a video camera with HDMI port that I could integrate into the system, but in that case do I have to buy hardware to connect to the laptop? I hope someone will help me to grow in this passion of mine. thank you all.
BionicTdb  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2020 11:40:05 PM(UTC)
BionicTdb

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: aci85 Go to Quoted Post
hello, I would like hardware advice. I use two c920 webcams for the ports connected to the usb ports of the laptop. It was fine to start but now I would like to start serious. Can I better exploit the potential of these webcams by connecting them to the PC in a different way? I read about SDI, HDMI connections, I would like to improve but I don't know how. I also have a video camera with HDMI port that I could integrate into the system, but in that case do I have to buy hardware to connect to the laptop? I hope someone will help me to grow in this passion of mine. thank you all.

Since you are using a Laptop, and ingesting i would assume (c920) at 1080p... you need to ensure your USB on the laptop is duel channel or is USB 3.1 v2. As USB 3.1 V1 cannot ingest dual 1080p streams.

If you do find your laptop has duel channel USB 3.1 v1 then ensure both cameras are on different channels.

i would venture to say that the c920 cameras are just that, low quality 1080p cameras. the quality you will see on vMix using them over USB is the exact same you will find ingesting them over a much improved USB connection or capture card.

I use to ingest two of these as well, and the quality is just poor.

My suggestion is to buy a DSLR camera. I now use a single DSLR Mirthless Panasonic G7 and its view angle is so wide I can clip out several virtual inputs from it to show different areas of my room.

to summarize, C920 are low quality 1080p. USB 3.0 (3.1 v1) can do all those need for two, as long as you have duel channel USB on your laptop.

Side note. if you are using any graphics card processing and using a graphics card lower than the 1660 from Nvidia the encoder is not great. i would then suggest you move to x264 processor encoding using the slowest setting your CPU can handle. this will increase the stream quality, not the camera quality.

aci85  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2020 7:12:19 AM(UTC)
aci85

Italy

thanks for checking me out. I have a Nikon D750, can I use it? Now I have to buy a video purchase card and not so cisa choose. My laptop has a USB 3.1-C port. I would like to have a valid capture card for two hdmi cameras. Can you suggest me?
BionicTdb  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2020 1:35:18 PM(UTC)
BionicTdb

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: aci85 Go to Quoted Post
thanks for checking me out. I have a Nikon D750, can I use it? Now I have to buy a video purchase card and not so cisa choose. My laptop has a USB 3.1-C port. I would like to have a valid capture card for two hdmi cameras. Can you suggest me?

Take a look at the vMix reference machines (the ruby) and use the cards they offer offer it. your best bet.

You can use a Nikon D750 if it is able to stream its video over HDMI. you could use an Elgate Cam Link 4K for it. they are cheaper option than a real capture card. Your PC would see it as a webcam
aci85  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2020 6:45:01 PM(UTC)
aci85

Italy

does this device work with all cameras? do I get a lower quality of connecting the camera with the traditional video capture card?