logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mjbrad11  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2020 12:22:07 PM(UTC)
mjbrad11

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Im trying to find the best solution to use with both desktop or laptop depending on the situation. I’d like get a four channel HDMI PCI capture card that somehow works with USB 3.0. I’ve seen the chassis that you can install the card in but all of them seem to be Thunderbolt 3/USB-C connections to a computer, which I don’t have any of. Does anyone know of a possible solution! I’m trying to avoid the external switcher into a single hdmi capture device route. I’ve got it and works great but would like to see all the hdmi inputs directly in VMIX rather than it being pre-switched then brought in as a single input.
dmwkr  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2020 7:51:06 PM(UTC)
dmwkr

Was thanked: 119 time(s) in 108 post(s)
mjgraves  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2020 11:58:19 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
What you seek does not exist. It's technically impossible since USB 3 does not have the bandwidth the to pass the 4 uncompressed HD video streams that such a capture card delivers.

That's why you see Thunderbolt 3 cases. TB3 has about 8x the bandwidth of USB 3.

If you are limited to USB 3 the best you can do is use USB capture dongles that are capable of MJPEG encoding. This will allow you have up to 3 capture devices on a single USB 3 port.

All of this is tricky. You'd be better off getting a laptop that has TB3.
BionicTdb  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2020 11:27:43 PM(UTC)
BionicTdb

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mjgraves Go to Quoted Post
What you seek does not exist. It's technically impossible since USB 3 does not have the bandwidth the to pass the 4 uncompressed HD video streams that such a capture card delivers.

That's why you see Thunderbolt 3 cases. TB3 has about 8x the bandwidth of USB 3.

If you are limited to USB 3 the best you can do is use USB capture dongles that are capable of MJPEG encoding. This will allow you have up to 3 capture devices on a single USB 3 port.

All of this is tricky. You'd be better off getting a laptop that has TB3.

Not certain I completely agree.

I use a Startech internal PCIEx4 4 port dual channel USB 3.1 v1 card and I can ingest two full 1080p stream with one card, using two you can ingest 4. using USB3.0

you can get them on amazon for $100. no idea how you are going to get those into a laptop.

Also, I have yet to find any laptop that can ingest more that two full 1080p streams over USB, even my $3300 Dell XPS with USBC and dual USB 3.1 channels cannot do it.

Also, not certain if you meant "PCI" earlier in the OP post, but I think you meant PCIE correct? PCI is so slow.

Just for a side note:
Aver media Live gamer Ultra USB is a USB C on the device but its still USB-3.0 on the other end. and it has an onboard encoder. However the Elgato HD60s does not contain the onbaord encoder.

I would love to know if anyone has a laptop capable of the ingesting of 4 USB 1080p stream.

If you have that laptop we are going to call it (The Unicorn)

i want to hear your opinions, I want to learn too even if I am wrong.