logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Radiotvpat1982  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2020 7:19:06 AM(UTC)
Radiotvpat1982

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Hey guys. I do a lot of replay and also am I a TD on several systems. I own one VMIX replay machine and it does good things but can best be described as incomplete. I know Martin has said the next major release of VMIX will focus a lot on replay so here is my wish list.

Expanded Inputs
I would be happy with 6 in and 2 out but I know people really want 8. I would also be OK with knowing I had to have 4 on one SSD and 4 on another.

Independent A & B Outputs
This would be the biggest improvements. It's the single thing that makes VMIX not as good as some of the other and more expensive systems. There are shortcuts and tricks you can use to try to get around this but just having those independent would be such an improvement.

Expanded Audio Options
It would be nice to bring in audio to each input independently. For example a camera can get NAT sound that is already embedded in to it.

Auto Mute Audio When Playback not at 100%
This is a common option on most replay machines. This would allow you to play sound when at 100% but then not have to remember to mute VMIX every other time.

Import a Clip in to VMIX Replay
Yes, I understand VMIX is a switcher and can do this but when you are running VMIX Replay as only a replay machine it does not make sense to have to use the switcher function and to leave the VMIX replay interface.

The ability to label the Event Bins 1-8
Same way you can rename them in VMIX and also assign a color. This would be most useful for organizing a workflow. Say your Bins 6 & 7 are for team specific highlights while 8 is for your rollouts to commercial break

Not Matching Resolutions and Frame Rate
It would be nice if you did not have to match them all to the same thing. Maybe you have a couple 1080 cams and a couple 720. Maybe a couple 30 FPS and a couple 60 FPS

Play events in non chronological order
Seems weird but if you have multiple angles checked you have to play them in order 1,2,3,4, If your director says give me angle 4 then 2 you cant start on 4 then push to 2. It has to go in order.

Add a Delete Shortcut
Hard to believe but there is not direct delete shortcut. It will ask you every time if you are sure you want to delete. Most ops prefer to do as little as possible from the mouse and UI screen. This would be a time saver.

If anyone needs some more clarification on these please reply or DM me. I have seen all the improvements VMIX has made over the last few years, I know if they focus on Replay they can really make some major adjustments.
thanks 3 users thanked Radiotvpat1982 for this useful post.
Ario on 3/10/2020(UTC), rollfocus on 7/12/2020(UTC), omo on 3/29/2023(UTC)
stevespaw  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2020 4:29:40 AM(UTC)
stevespaw

Man

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 57 post(s)
+1
This is a good list, you are obviously an operator. Your request for importing a clip is the only one I don't see much of a need for when you ca easily map a key to play a ANYTHING in the vMix project. It would be a different workflow for operators.
YMMV :-)

Best,
Steve

zaczdt  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2020 10:56:44 PM(UTC)
zaczdt

Australia

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
+1
bgbenni  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2020 7:34:31 AM(UTC)
bgbenni

Germany

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
+1
StryderTV  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2020 8:21:17 PM(UTC)
StryderTV

United Kingdom

+1

Well done, a really good list.

My priorities would be:

6in 2out as I use the Blackmagic 8 way card and rarely would need more than 6, this shouldn’t overload the system too much

A+B separate outputs

to be able to allocate the audios for replay without having to go back into the settings page

Single key delete, presently set up as shortcut on the streamdeck

I use the Skaarhoj XC8 control surface with a 15 button Streamdeck which when loaded with lots of shortcuts make operation very swift.

Ability to playback at more than 100% and go to reverse without having to press a reverse key. Basically have the option to use a controller such as a T bar to go from reverse through to x3
thanks 1 user thanked StryderTV for this useful post.
Ario on 3/10/2020(UTC)
brian078  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2020 11:47:39 PM(UTC)
brian078

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
+1
ThomasM  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2020 11:48:08 PM(UTC)
ThomasM

Man
Netherlands

+1
marknotts  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 16, 2020 11:11:14 AM(UTC)
marknotts

United Kingdom

+1
marknotts  
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 16, 2020 11:12:51 AM(UTC)
marknotts

United Kingdom

Mouse scroll wheel working to scroll through events.
thanks 1 user thanked marknotts for this useful post.
Ario on 3/10/2020(UTC)
Ario  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 10, 2020 8:28:20 PM(UTC)
Ario

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
+1
and also on the various suggestions in the replies.
xerud  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2020 8:21:26 PM(UTC)
xerud

Italy

+1

Also a label that shows the total amount of replay count and timer without pressing "Play All"
dark_ata  
#12 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2020 2:56:05 AM(UTC)
dark_ata

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 13 post(s)
take a look to the fun time live show , the only that i missed is the possibillity to add clips.
Radiotvpat1982  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2020 1:55:07 AM(UTC)
Radiotvpat1982

Thank you to the VMIX build team! As mentioned you guys did basically incorporate every single thing from my list aside from a direct import.

Direct import would be great so you can stat in the full screen replay look but if really needed I can send stuff down the line to record.

The new replay system looks amazing! I cant wait to get my hands on it. Please let me know if you need a beta tester.

I really like the ability to check mark features to cut them on or off. Options are great. I'll really enjoy the unlimited pad on the back end of replays.

I am curious to know if VMIX might be able to put together a new reference guide for a replay specific machine? My machine is a Ruby built to specs.

I have a 4 input card but I pull in my 4 angles over NDI from my switcher when using VMIX for replay only.

stevespaw  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2020 6:14:24 AM(UTC)
stevespaw

Man

Originally Posted by: Radiotvpat1982 Go to Quoted Post

Direct import would be great so you can stat in the full screen replay look but if really needed I can send stuff down the line to record.

I think the best way to do this would be assignable buttons in the Replay UI to "Cut Direct" to Clips that are loaded in the main UI. This would be the best of both worlds. For those that want to live in the Replay UI.

Of course you can do this with any controller. :-)

My 2 cents,
Steve

Radiotvpat1982  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2020 4:10:50 AM(UTC)
Radiotvpat1982

Originally Posted by: stevespaw Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Radiotvpat1982 Go to Quoted Post

I think the best way to do this would be assignable buttons in the Replay UI to "Cut Direct" to Clips that are loaded in the main UI. This would be the best of both worlds. For those that want to live in the Replay UI.

Of course you can do this with any controller. :-)

My 2 cents,
Steve

That is really a good idea Steve. I think I'll test that out soon. You are confident you could do that within the UI and with a control surface? I use a X-Keys
stevespaw  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2020 10:40:39 PM(UTC)
stevespaw

Man

I am breaking the rules of cross post,
but I really want this feature of Variable jog increments, via API of course :-)
https://forums.vmix.com/posts/m74533-Instant-Replay-Jog-Speed-Variable#post74533

Sorry to add to your thread. :-)

Steve
Radiotvpat1982  
#17 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2020 3:37:14 AM(UTC)
Radiotvpat1982

No problem Steve.

I thought a little bit more about the shorcut to play video from VMIX and controlling it from the replay controller.

I realized the one issue is the same, if you are only working in the VMIX UI you wont be able to see what is happening in the background.

The other clear benefit to importing it would be that you can add that file to your playlist.

Perfect example is highlight packages. If you wanted a player, team or situational transition you currently cant import that to your BINS.

Maybe I had a baseball packages and it said 5th inning, or a Team package that said State Tigers or something.

In a typical replay work flow you would simply import the clip typically referred to as a front end or a interstitial in to the front of the playlist.

Then you see it in either A or B when it plays out. You could record this in to VMIX replay before the show but if you have a bunch that would take forever.

I am curious if anyone else would be interested in this feature? In my situation I am only using VMIX as a dedicated replay machine an not a switcher.