logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
trglosser  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2020 11:39:00 AM(UTC)
trglosser

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi! I'm relatively new to using vMix. My previous livestreaming setup was SD with the venerable old Videonics MX-1 mixers using RG-6 cable, RCA A/V jacks, and a USB capture card to get my video to the computer. We did use the free vMix version for a few months before I purchased the vMix HD, so I am not completely new to using/navigating the software, but this is my first attempt at HD livestreaming, and the first time using solely a software mixer with no hardware beyond the video capture devices.

Here is where I am now:

I am using a DigitNow BR139 HDMI to USB video capture device to get my video from my Canon Vixia HF R800 cameras to VMIX HD Basic through USB 3.0 cables. Sometimes I get perfect video, and at other times I get the bottom half of the screen as static or static on the whole screen. I noticed that I can see all of my cameras beautifully through Skype, but that only shows that the video is getting to the computer. The computer is not new, but exceeds the minimum required system specs. The cameras, capture devices, and cables are all new.

This is my video capture device:

DigitNow BR139 Video Capture Device

Is there a setting that I can use to get rid of the static? I started with the default settings that vMix recommended when I selected the capture card from the drop-down list.

I have a feeling this is going to have to be a short term solution, since I have multiple cameras (more than 4) that will comprise my final setup, but for now I just need to get 2 going at a time, which is why I'm using USB 3.0... plus is was the most budget-friendly way to get upgraded to HD. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Tom
dmwkr  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2020 4:25:51 PM(UTC)
dmwkr

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 107 post(s)
trglosser  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2020 5:47:57 PM(UTC)
trglosser

United States

Thanks for replying. I don’t think screen tearing is the problem. I did look through the KB, but when I couldn’t find the answer, I thought I’d ask here to see if anyone else had encountered this and had a solution that worked for them.

I have Windows 10. The computer is a Dell XPS with a Core i7 processor, 16 GB RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1GB, and a Soundblaster sound card. It’s not new, nor is it top of the line, but I don’t think my computer is the cause of the problem.

The video capture device manufacturer claims it works with Wirecast, so I assumed it would probably work with vMix, even though it wasn’t on the list of compatibility tested capture devices, and it does... sometimes.
BionicTdb  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2020 11:49:28 PM(UTC)
BionicTdb

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: trglosser Go to Quoted Post
Hi! I'm relatively new to using vMix. My previous livestreaming setup was SD with the venerable old Videonics MX-1 mixers using RG-6 cable, RCA A/V jacks, and a USB capture card to get my video to the computer. We did use the free vMix version for a few months before I purchased the vMix HD, so I am not completely new to using/navigating the software, but this is my first attempt at HD livestreaming, and the first time using solely a software mixer with no hardware beyond the video capture devices.

Here is where I am now:

I am using a DigitNow BR139 HDMI to USB video capture device to get my video from my Canon Vixia HF R800 cameras to VMIX HD Basic through USB 3.0 cables. Sometimes I get perfect video, and at other times I get the bottom half of the screen as static or static on the whole screen. I noticed that I can see all of my cameras beautifully through Skype, but that only shows that the video is getting to the computer. The computer is not new, but exceeds the minimum required system specs. The cameras, capture devices, and cables are all new.

This is my video capture device:

DigitNow BR139 Video Capture Device

Is there a setting that I can use to get rid of the static? I started with the default settings that vMix recommended when I selected the capture card from the drop-down list.

I have a feeling this is going to have to be a short term solution, since I have multiple cameras (more than 4) that will comprise my final setup, but for now I just need to get 2 going at a time, which is why I'm using USB 3.0... plus is was the most budget-friendly way to get upgraded to HD. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Tom

a low light room and high ISO can cause the static effect.

Also a Canon Vixia HF R800 is really a terrible camera for live always on video IMO. it has issues giving a clean HDMI out signal no matter what you do. Just my 2 cents.

The half screen thing you mentioned may be indicative of a bad USB cable or or not up to spec snuff.

trglosser  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2020 3:42:27 AM(UTC)
trglosser

United States

I had subpar capture devices. I decided to go ahead and purchase a capture card, and upgrade my vMix. The cameras are now capturing and displaying perfectly. The bottom line, I think, is always buy quality. You get what you pay for...
BionicTdb  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2020 3:47:23 AM(UTC)
BionicTdb

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: trglosser Go to Quoted Post
I had subpar capture devices. I decided to go ahead and purchase a capture card, and upgrade my vMix. The cameras are now capturing and displaying perfectly. The bottom line, I think, is always buy quality. You get what you pay for...

mid sharing the capture cards that had issues so others might not buy them?

I just got these bad boys.
Avermedia Live gamer 4K