logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Podcast Bob  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2020 7:55:18 PM(UTC)
Podcast Bob

Groups: Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I need to prepare for an interview format with myself and a guest, simple 3 camera set up. Wide + 2 x CU. No problem there.

Between us I want a display and on that display I want to put images about the subject we are discussing, which will also need to be NDI (I presume) into the mix for when I cut to the image only.

The person then can talk through different images and select them as they wish, maybe even zoom in 'iPad style' as they talk.

I would also like to have a PC running webpages also on the display where I am using Google Earth to zoom into locations mentioned in the topic. Once again this need to be shown on the monitor and also in the mix.

I also want to be able to play on the monitor a recorded surprise guest piece for them to hear and get their reaction. Again this need to appear in the mix, maybe with a CU of their face (in a small box) as they react.

I hope this is clear. Basically, the guest need to be able to control the slide show as they wish, which needs to be in the mix and on the display. The guest needs to see on the display the webpages and it is also in the mix. And finally a video needs to be played on the display for the guest to see and also be in the mix. Plus the 3 live cameras and usual overlays, video intro etc in vMix.

What would you suggest as a simple solution to this for a one man operator who is also the interviewer?
mavik  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2020 8:46:08 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
I can think of vmix call for the remote guest.
Powerpoint is able to present online. That way the remote guest can share a link to his presentation. You can embed using webpage capture
You can bring in local computers via NDI or desktop capture or even SRT
Http streamer can be used on a mobile device to stream the mobile desktop (not the cam)

I would also suggest a stream deck to control your show. So you have everything at a fingertip and don't need to concentrate on the screen.
Podcast Bob  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2020 2:48:02 AM(UTC)
Podcast Bob

Man
United Kingdom

Sorry maybe I wasn't 100% clear.

I have my guest with me in the studio and I have a third party video I want to play to them and record into vMix at the same time.

The video I want to play is pre-recorded so I don't need the complication of VMix Call on top of everything else to deal with.

I was thinking about this today and I have a 4 channel Roland manual switcher. So I wonder if I could get a hdmi out from the iPad so that the guest could control that. But I would also need to record the iPad. Is there an NDI App which would allow that at the same time?

I've tried something like this in the past and I have found that using an iPad a real problem as the signal locks up after a few moments. But if it was stable, it would be a great way for a guest to flip through pictures and tell a story, rather than me control them in a slideshow stored on vMix.

I wonder if they prepared a Power Point I could do it that way as long as I could NDI their screen?

I could then use the switcher to flip over to a pc which I could drive to look at Google Earth, again using NDI into vMix.

I guess I could also have the video I want to play on my same PC and just open quicktime to play the video?

It seems a simple request, but quite hard to actually put together.
elvis55  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2020 3:19:56 AM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
mavik  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2020 6:46:02 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
I'm not that much into the apple world but an apple tv appliance should give you a HDMI out of the ipad.
Newtek provides the NDI tools which includes a scan converter for the desktop of a computer.
Podcast Bob  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2020 7:32:48 AM(UTC)
Podcast Bob

Man
United Kingdom

I'm happy to consider a cheap Android Tablet if that would provide an easier to work with solution rather than a iPad.

Does anyone have any experience of trying to do a production like this?
dmwkr  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2020 4:18:15 PM(UTC)
dmwkr

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 107 post(s)
Not sure if it is necessary to implement the switcher. Capture it once in vMix and output from there. An example from DWAM, how he outputs a different mix to an on-site screen via External 2:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4IhWsOqCWpc

If your guest can see the screen (like for the video) in the studio, wouldn't it be easiest to let him skip through a vMix slide show via Web controller on the iPad?

If you are operating vMix anyways, play the pre-recorded video from there, not from a second computer.

Google Maps NDI capture from a second computer is probably the way to go.

All in all, imo think about how you can stay in vMix as long as possible and output via Full screen or external output first, and go from there. Audio output for the pre-recorded video is another thing to consider, but it is possible (audio buses).
Podcast Bob  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2020 6:29:13 AM(UTC)
Podcast Bob

Man
United Kingdom

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense and I hear you about keeping it within vMix, which is why I was asking the question.

Nice video above and a sensible way to lay out the controller. I've used a Novation Pad int he past and found it hard to make up a sensible patchbay, but his works nicely.

If I just give her the ability to change slides only I can control everything else.

Great.