logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Yuniao  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2020 6:37:20 AM(UTC)
Yuniao

Groups: Registered
France

Hello guys,

First of all sorry if all this sound dumb, but I'm kinda new to Vmix and "large" production and I need to scale up my streaming project ( almost 30 inputs oO )
I have already read some topics saying that having 1 computer dedicated to the Stream and 1 dedicated to the production is one of the best solution. Even read having 1 more would be the very best.

I do believe I understand it allows the Streaming Computer to only retrieve the Out Signal of the production, avoiding charging CGU with tons of inputs & output, meaning a flawless stream.

Am I Correct ? Or this just allow to split inputs ?

For example, I would think about the production computer handling the different inputs coming from differents computers , and the streaming computer only retrieving the Out signal and also some Cameras as inputs. This would indeed split inputs and also split tasks. This way one operator on the prod computer can focus on which computer to display, and the other operator on the streaming computer can handle switching from the Prod Computer Input and the differents Cameras he has in inputs, and Ads, or break, etc.

Don't know which is the best solution or the optimized one, but would love to understand in order to know which with components I need to build the differents computers to optimize everything.
And also know if it's best to handle everything in a single Computer or split task.
I can see Pros & Cons in both solution.

I know there are ATEM solution, or EC, but I'm looking for a cheaper solution and a way to handle almost everything with 1 man or 2.

No matter what, thank you in advance for the time you've spent reading this and to anyone who will be eager to help me understand the ideal process (without being a full TV Set please ^^) :)

Thank you in advance, and have a wonderful week.
sinc747  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2020 12:14:45 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
vMix with a suitable PC should be able to handle all of which you speak with no problems.

Check the vMix Reference Systems here for more information.

- Tom
Yuniao  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2020 6:54:10 PM(UTC)
Yuniao

France

Hey! Thank you for your answer ! I did check many time the Reference Systems page.
Especially the Obsidian One.

The thing is I want to be sure the Computer can handle all the 30 inputs and 10 outputs without flinching.
And having only one computer doing so is a risky business I guess even with high end component.
Plus, even with a very good Motherboard, PCI port for so many capture cards, even with Quad 2 won't be enough...

Also, handling both switching computers views, replay and camera would be tricky on a single computer don't you think ?

Once again, thank you for your time.

Kind regards,

ThommiTechnik  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2020 4:10:12 AM(UTC)
ThommiTechnik

Man
Switzerland

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Yuniao Go to Quoted Post
Hey! Thank you for your answer ! I did check many time the Reference Systems page.
Especially the Obsidian One.

The thing is I want to be sure the Computer can handle all the 30 inputs and 10 outputs without flinching.
And having only one computer doing so is a risky business I guess even with high end component.
Plus, even with a very good Motherboard, PCI port for so many capture cards, even with Quad 2 won't be enough...

Also, handling both switching computers views, replay and camera would be tricky on a single computer don't you think ?

Once again, thank you for your time.

Kind regards,

Take a Ryzen 1950x or 3000, and a Board with X399 chipset, or TR40 chipset. Then you habe all 64 PCI-lanes
JoseL  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2020 6:39:56 AM(UTC)
JoseL

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 13 post(s)
30 hd inputs, 10x output is possible. 1080 60p? Without flinching?. No, maybe 1080 60i...
30x inputs and no need any extra process?, multiview?, players?, titles?... maybe you can use some ndi... but i think is better to find another solution. Maybe two computers
16 inputs/6outputs each and make some magic to mix all together... Is possible... but need time and money
If it was me i prefer to use the new blackmagic 8k join to 1-2 vmix system.
Yuniao  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2020 9:53:23 PM(UTC)
Yuniao

France

Originally Posted by: ThommiTechnik Go to Quoted Post

Take a Ryzen 1950x or 3000, and a Board with X399 chipset, or TR40 chipset. Then you habe all 64 PCI-lanes

From everything that I've read, even if they did a Ryzen Config, looks like Intel is still the best solution out there. But I can find motherboard with extended PCI lane also.

Originally Posted by: JoseL Go to Quoted Post
30 hd inputs, 10x output is possible. 1080 60p? Without flinching?. No, maybe 1080 60i...
30x inputs and no need any extra process?, multiview?, players?, titles?... maybe you can use some ndi... but i think is better to find another solution. Maybe two computers
16 inputs/6outputs each and make some magic to mix all together... Is possible... but need time and money
If it was me i prefer to use the new blackmagic 8k join to 1-2 vmix system.

Thank you for your answer. I did consider using a 8k, TC1 or VMC, but though that maybe a computer (or two) with Vmix could lower the cost and 'simplify' the production having almost everything directly feed in Vmix and organized with Multioverlay. But yes, as you said I will also need Multiview, Monitors, Titles and all. That's why I do believe having one computer handling everything is a bit tricky and risky.
But even following your advice by splitting 2 computers with 16in/6out, would mean having both computer equipped with 4 Pci Lane 8x Motherboard, a GraphicCard, and 3 Blackmagic Quad 2 (2x 8 inputs + 1x 8outputs) right ? Which at the end would be as much as buying a 8k I do believe. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

To get back to what you said and for the sake of understanding, if you use a 8k, why are you using 2 Vmix System ?
One to retrieve output from 8K and pick what you want to show, and the other one to retrieve the previous computer output and add cameras, break, tweet feed, etc ?

Thank you all for your time and answer!

Have a very nice day!

sinc747  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 7, 2020 1:12:37 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
You didn't mention Instant Replay in your initial post. Yes, Replay is best handled on a separate PC.

Next, let's talk terminology. You want 30 inputs. In the vMix world, everything is an Input: cameras, graphics, videos, MP3's, images, webpages, remote streams, powerpoints, video calls, etc.

Do you mean you want 30 HD camera inputs? This is a different discussion. Realistically, in my opinion, vMix and the right hardware can handle 15 cameras depending on resolution, frame rate, connection (SDI, NDI, etc.)

A vMix system that can handle your request is best designed by one of custom PC builders on vMix's reseller list, not by opinions in an open online forum like this. As oen who's name is one that list, please feel free to contact me off-forum for a complimentary consultation.

- Tom