logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kgoodyer  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2020 11:27:32 AM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Groups: Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 27 post(s)
vMix produces 3 x Virtual Camera outputs known as 'vMix Video', 'vMix External 2' and 'vMix YU12'. I have used these three 'internal' outputs for many years to drive 3rd Party applications from vMix. Examples of this are flash based video chat applications, Skype, OooVoo, etc. etc.

Recently one of our providers closed down their 'flash' video chat client, and replaced it with a HTML5 based solution, insisting I now use a WebRTC / HTML5 interface for delivering video.

Its seems that EVERY HTML5 webcam application is unable to accept a 'virtual' output from vMix (This includes Microsoft's built in camera application).

My work around is to take the vMix 'vMix video' virtual cam output, and feed it into VISIT-X webcam splitter, which creates a nice 1080p25 HTML5/Microsoft compatible stream which can be used with any web based HTML5 webcam apps.

Clue: seems to be something to do with HTML5 apps trying to set the camera resolution.... vMix outputs don't have a variable resolution (unlike webcams).

I am 100% sure I have used HTML5 webcam apps with vMix virtual cameras in the past, so don't know if this is a recent change to Microsoft webcam/video capture handling.

Not sure if this is a MS or Chrome issue - i use this as a HTML5/WebRTC test site - https://appr.tc/

Any Ideas?

Keith
mavik  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 4, 2020 4:31:29 PM(UTC)
mavik

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
I quickly did a test with https://appr.tc/ the webRTC reference app. I set it to use vmix video as a camera source. You will notice that you won't see the vmix program. You have to activate the external button in vmix, then you will see the program of vmix in the broser based video apps.