logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ThommiTechnik  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2020 9:07:40 PM(UTC)
ThommiTechnik

Groups: Registered
Man
Switzerland

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hi@all,
to be honest, even after searching here, the web, I don't get it really.

I'm running Bootcamp on a MacBook Pro 2019, so the i9-9980H, with up to 4.8GHz. The integrated graphics-card is a AMD Radeon 560X

So, when I start vMix 23.0.0.37 with integrated graphics, and make a test-setup@720p50 with 3 camera-sample-inputs at 1280x720@50p, 8 vMix-Calls, 2 video-files, the system is running smooth, render-time around 12ms, GPU-Mem 17%, CPU 7%, Total around 10%

Now I'm connecting a RTX2080 in a Sonnet Breakaway case to one TB3 port. Setting in nVidia-Settings the vMix64 to "High Performance", also in Windows Grpahics Settings. And in vMix, too.
Showing only on Display 2, so the internal screen is dark. But, surprisingly for me, the system is stuttering, having lot of problems to capture and render the inputs. Getting GPU-warnings all the time. Render times increase up to 50ms, sometimes. But never less than 20ms.

So, where am I doing something wrong?

On the other hand: letting run Heaven Benchmark, I get up to 300fps on the external card, running on the AMD round 13fps?

Any inputs, or thoughts are welcome.

Thanks, and Cheers, Thomas
admin  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2020 12:44:20 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
eGPUs are not supported by vMix due to the very limited bandwidth over thunderbolt.
Since vMix needs to transfer live video constantly, this bottleneck causes the high render times.

Whereas a standard GPU benchmark generally just works on static textures and so can get very fast over an eGPU.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 3 users thanked admin for this useful post.
ThommiTechnik on 1/21/2020(UTC), mjgraves on 1/22/2020(UTC), Ario on 1/26/2020(UTC)
ThommiTechnik  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2020 3:31:19 AM(UTC)
ThommiTechnik

Man
Switzerland

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
eGPUs are not supported by vMix due to the very limited bandwidth over thunderbolt.
Since vMix needs to transfer live video constantly, this bottleneck causes the high render times.

Whereas a standard GPU benchmark generally just works on static textures and so can get very fast over an eGPU.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Hey Martin,

thanks for your feedback, I appreciate.

Today I did a test under real circumstances. And for the purpose of this setup, it's working really well with the AMD setup. Three 1080-SDI-Inouts (via Decklink in a TB3-case), some callers, some VTRs, lower-thirds, two streams and recording. All working as expected, timings were good, and the MacBook Pro very quiet. I have to say, I used the "blue" 2020 drivers of Adrenaline. A real good combination.

This setup is for the small things, where I don't go with our OB-Van, or the flightcase-regie.

Thanks for your effort, and Best regards
Thomas
mjgraves  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 22, 2020 5:44:10 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ThommiTechnik Go to Quoted Post
Three 1080-SDI-Inouts (via Decklink in a TB3-case), some callers, some VTRs, lower-thirds, two streams and recording. All working as expected, timings were good, and the MacBook Pro very quiet. I have to say, I used the "blue" 2020 drivers of Adrenaline. A real good combination.

It's worth noting that a capture card in a TB3 enclosure is NOT that same as an eGPU solution. The GPU needs massively more bandwidth. Hence it's unsupported status.

thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
ThommiTechnik on 1/22/2020(UTC)
Ario  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 26, 2020 12:23:25 AM(UTC)
Ario

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Would the arrival of Intel's Ice Lake cpu's help in this regard?
They directly integrate the Thunderbolt 3 controller into the CPU die, at least that's the claim here:
https://www.theeverydaye...ake-vs-intel-coffee-lake

Thanks & kind greetings, Arie
mjgraves  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 26, 2020 7:37:44 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ario Go to Quoted Post

Would the arrival of Intel's Ice Lake cpu's help in this regard?
They directly integrate the Thunderbolt 3 controller into the CPU die, at least that's the claim here:
https://www.theeverydaye...ake-vs-intel-coffee-lake

Thanks & kind greetings, Arie

I would think not.

From wikipaedia:

"Thunderbolt 3 is a hardware interface developed by Intel.[52] It shares USB-C connectors with USB,[53][54][55] and can require special "active" cables for maximum performance for cable lengths over 0.5 meters (1.5 feet). Compared to Thunderbolt 2, it doubles the bandwidth to 40 Gbit/s (5 GB/s), allowing up to 4-lane PCIe 3.0, 8-lane DisplayPort 1.2, and USB 3.1 10 Gbit/s."

So TB3 is still nowhere near the performance of a 16x PCIe slot, which is what the internal GPU enjoys.
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
Ario on 11/19/2020(UTC)