logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Wrighty  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 28, 2019 2:41:53 AM(UTC)
Wrighty

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'll start off by saying that I am an experienced PC builder, having done it for over 25 years now, but PCIe lanes have not been of particular importance with most of the systems I've built.

I've built a couple of vMix PCs for a company I work closely with and they're looking to have another built, to replace one which I built back in 2015, with a view to using the older one as a spare.

This particular PC has an ASUS X99-S motherboard, an i7-5930K CPU with 40 PCIe lanes and a GTX 760 graphics card, along with some Magewell capture cards. We use up to 10 inputs for the type of work we do - 4 x SDI cameras @ 1080i50, 4 x HDMI @ up to 1080p50 (usually 720p50 though, as it does struggle with everything at 1080p50) and 2 x universal (DVI/VGA/SDI) @ up to 1080p50 (again, usually 720p50).

For its replacement, I'm looking at using:

1 x Magewell Pro Capture Quad SDI (PCIe x4)
1 x Magewell Pro Capture Quad HDMI (PCIe x4)
1 x Magewell Pro Capture Dual DVI (PCIe x4)

1 x nVidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti or RTX 2060 (PCIe x16)

My question is, will I be ok with a 28 lane CPU with something like an MSI X299 SLI PLUS motherboard, which gives me the following:

1 x PCIe x16 CPU lanes
1 x PCIe x8 CPU lanes
1 x PCIe x4 CPU lanes
1 x PCIe x4 PCH lanes

or should I be looking at a 44 lane CPU with something like an MSI X299 Pro motherboard, which gives me:

2 x PCIe x16 CPU lanes
1 x PCIe x8 CPU lanes
1 x PCIe x4 CPU lanes

The price of 44-lane CPUs is eye-watering, so I'm hoping one of the PCIe slots using 4 lanes via the PCH on a 28 lane CPU will be fine...?

Any advice will be much appreciated :)

Richard