logo

Live Production Software Forums


Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
basvcds  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2019 11:29:57 PM(UTC)
basvcds

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/10/2018(UTC)
Posts: 5
Location: Netherlands

Thanks: 2 times
I noticed in the forums some users have been experimenting with SRT streaming to Nimble streamer. I've been running my own nimble streamer for almost all of my projects and it runs great using RTMP and their transcoder. I have been trying set up SRT as well but have had zero luck so far. I've thoroughly read all documentation there is to find on the subject and have ran various tests with caller/listener, viceversa, and rendezvous mode from different locations with open ports but have not had anything working yet. Could anyone jot down a compact rundown of how got SRT to play nice with nimble? I think it would be a nice addition to the forums to have a small tutorial for setting this up.

Thanks!
MartLeib  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 17, 2019 6:00:58 AM(UTC)
MartLeib

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/23/2017(UTC)
Posts: 100

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: basvcds Go to Quoted Post
I noticed in the forums some users have been experimenting with SRT streaming to Nimble streamer. I've been running my own nimble streamer for almost all of my projects and it runs great using RTMP and their transcoder. I have been trying set up SRT as well but have had zero luck so far. I've thoroughly read all documentation there is to find on the subject and have ran various tests with caller/listener, viceversa, and rendezvous mode from different locations with open ports but have not had anything working yet. Could anyone jot down a compact rundown of how got SRT to play nice with nimble? I think it would be a nice addition to the forums to have a small tutorial for setting this up.

Thanks!


Step number one, install SRT package for the Nimble streamer. Log into the server SSH and run (if using Ubuntu):
sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install nimble-srt; sudo service nimble restart;
Other distros have tutorials here: https://wmspanel.com/nimble/srt_install

Select the port you want to use for SRT, lets say 2222.
Open port 2222 on the firewall for the server.

I'm also using WMSPanel in addition to the Nimble Streamer to have a nice GUI for it. But it can be done on the server side as well.

Add MPEGTS SRT stream:

  • Receive mode: Listen
  • Local IP: 0.0.0.0
  • Local port: 2222
  • Alias: SRT stream for port 2222 - you can select your own
  • Latency: 400 - good to setup something here, if you want to force as low vMix can go with the latency. Lets say you set it to 1000 and someone wants to send stream with latency 125ms, then 1000ms will be used. But if someone setups vMix to send 2500ms latency, 2500ms latency will be used. Bigger wins.
  • maxbw - you should setup it when sending SRT stream between Nimble instances to keep Nimble from using too much bandwidth. For vMix it does not matter since vMix does it on its end.
  • Add outgoing stream checked, insert your application name and stream name where you want your RTMP stream to sent on the Nimble


You're done. You probably messed up the Local IP setting. 0.0.0.0 listens on all the network interfaces server has, if you use your local IP or 127.0.0.1 then you can send SRT to it only from the server itself. Nimble does not support Stream ID at the moment, so you will need to create multiple "ports" for multiple SRT inputs if you need that. You can also send me a PM regarding your contact info, I can help you setup it if you are not using WMSPanel.

I will take a moment at one point to write in depth guide for it as well in the forum.
basvcds  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 17, 2019 8:14:37 AM(UTC)
basvcds

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/10/2018(UTC)
Posts: 5
Location: Netherlands

Thanks: 2 times
Originally Posted by: MartLeib Go to Quoted Post

You probably messed up the Local IP setting. 0.0.0.0 listens on all the network interfaces server has, if you use your local IP or 127.0.0.1 then you can send SRT to it only from the server itself.


This was exactly it, I got it running in seconds. Thanks so much!
seb666  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 18, 2019 7:42:26 AM(UTC)
seb666

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/10/2016(UTC)
Posts: 102
Man
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Thanks: 79 times
Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MartLeib Go to Quoted Post
I will take a moment at one point to write in depth guide for it as well in the forum.


A guide for that would be awesome. ;) I don't get it running, with or without 0.0.0.0 ...
I'm using WMSPanel with Nimble and my server is a Google Cloud machine. Can you show screenshots of your settings in VMix and WMSPanel? :)

Thanks and regards
Seb

EDIT: It was just the firewall on the target machine. Now it works... :)
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.