logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mnortham  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2019 10:48:54 PM(UTC)
mnortham

Groups: Registered
Australia

Hi All -

I'm setting up my vMix installation as follows:
* Local computer has 1 host (me), co-host calls in via vMix call. May have guest on second call-in.
* I'm using the RodeCaster Pro essentially as a mixer and sound effects playback tool. Will record shows on vMix computer

I'm confused about the different audio busses in vMix and how I can best utilise these. I'm guessing that I would use the headphones bus to monitor everyting including the audio generated by vMix for the caller audio, audio inputs from the RodeCaster, etc - vMix would create mix minus for each of the vMix callers, so no issues there I assume.

However I'm not sure if headphone is the right audio bus to use for vMix in this scenario. Also, I'm unsure of how to map the headphone bus to an audio output on the vMix computer - I have a sound card that has the usual green headphone/speaker jack, but not sure if there are better ways to monitor audio from vMix. I was thinking about monitoring headphones via the RodeCaster with the USB returned audio, but that creates echo and looping problems at least in the tests I have done so far.

Thanks very much for any ideas/notes on this -

Mark N.
Sydney, Australia
zenvideo  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2019 2:36:43 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mnortham Go to Quoted Post
Also, I'm unsure of how to map the headphone bus to an audio output on the vMix computer - I have a sound card that has the usual green headphone/speaker jack, but not sure if there are better ways to monitor audio from vMix.

Nothing wrong with using the (green) Line-out from your built-in soundcard, although best to make sure it's not assigned for any other purpose (eg as the Default Windows Playback Device in the general Windows sound settings). Then select the soundcard output as the output for the Headphones in the Settings-> Audio Outputs panel, as pictured.

vMixAudioOutputDevices.PNG (46kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

mnortham  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2019 11:33:26 PM(UTC)
mnortham

Australia

Hi All -

Thanks for this - the issue is a delay in the headphone mix for my own audio. If I listen locally to the Rodecaster, there is of course no delay. But if I route the vMix Headphone mix to, say, a USB Focusrite interface and listen to the Master Mix via that (ie, Mic into Rodecaster, Rodecaster into vMix via USB, Headphone mix back to Focusrite via USB), my own voice is delayed almost half a second, which makes it difficult to monitor myself. I'm now trying running my own mic through the Focusrite, and setting up the Focusrite as an audio input device on vMix. The Focusrite allows me to listen to both the local mic signal and the USB return, so i have the USB return to the Focusrite set to Headphones in vMix and I have turned down the headphone volume for the Focusrite audio input in vMix so I don't hear both the local signal and the signal returned from vMix via USB.

I'd like to run my own mic through the Rodecaster, but I don't see any way to accomplish this without complicating things, since if I listen to the Rodecaster headphone mix, I have to route the rest of the audio from vMix back to the Rodecaster via USB which is creating the issues. Thanks for any thoughts on this!

Randumb H3r0  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2020 10:49:46 AM(UTC)
Randumb H3r0

Man
United States

I'm having a bit of trouble, figured it was worth putting out there while I search / test for an answer:

Using the RODECaster Pro and connecting via USB to the Asus Zenbook. Running a SM7B into the RODECaster, which is also where I'm currently monitoring from via headphones. Bring on a vMix call to test, and I'm running into this issue: I can get video going both ways, and I can get the vMix Call (guest) audio into my mix just fine. Unfortunately I can't seem to get them to hear me (microphone through RODECaster) over the call. If we can sort that out, I'm golden. Any thoughts?
mavik  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 4, 2020 4:24:56 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
In vmix call you can select the sorce audio used for your guests. By default it's using master. Change it to bus A and do a submix of all sources to bus A that you want the guest be able to hear.
drvincentortegajr  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2022 9:04:14 AM(UTC)
drvincentortegajr

United States

I ended up running my audio back into the rodecaster pro 3.5 jack from the headphones of the computer and now I can monitor everything that this happening :)))) try that out.... and I just changed the headphones to the roadcaster pro.

The 3.5 is mix minus so you are golden, I also have mix minus turned on with the roadcaster pro as well.

Things are working great for now.

I don't have the roadcaster set as the Master out, I left it blank.

I am trying different ways but this one works great so far.