logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
phil ede  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2019 8:39:59 PM(UTC)
phil ede

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am delighted to see SRT added to vMix and am pushing to do trials with my (charitable Church) clients uplink provider. I would first need to find a compatible decoder, in particular which decoders it has already been tested with.
Suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks
Phil
Speegs  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2019 2:07:32 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Originally Posted by: phil ede Go to Quoted Post
I am delighted to see SRT added to vMix and am pushing to do trials with my (charitable Church) clients uplink provider. I would first need to find a compatible decoder, in particular which decoders it has already been tested with.
Suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks
Phil

A birdie suggested Kiloview for a decoding appliance, but I can not confirm if it works at this time (yet to get hands on one). I imagine many companies will be updating their hardware H.264 encoders and decoders to support SRT. Some might only need firmware updates to do so, I suggest reaching out to the manufacturer of your current decoder and asking them for SRT Support.
phil ede  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 14, 2019 10:14:22 PM(UTC)
phil ede

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have been advised by the European agent for Kiloview that a firmware upgrade is available for the D300 Decoder and they have agreed to do trials with me. However I have run into one immediate snag, Broadcast Television is, and always has been, interlaced so vMix would be configured for so-called "50i" ( 1920x1080i/25) and vMix do not support SRT interlaced.
Comments would be apreciated about this
Thanks
Phil
Speegs  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2019 9:19:24 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
In addition to Kiloview (I bought an E2 encoder works well, before I knew I could upgrade my Digicast encoders). Digicast (http://www.digicast.cn/en/) support SRT Encoding H.264 and H.265. I've been testing firmware updates (not sure if they are shipping the firmware yet, they sent me the firmware via Skype). I reached out prior to buying a Kiloview E2. They got back to me after the E2 arrived, I'm happy no fee for the upgrade to support SRT on my older equipment. I don't regret having another brand, helps having two different brand options in your kit.

I'm yet to try an SRT decoder black box from any company, but the D300 looks interesting to me (Previously been using Raspberry PI as decoder/player for ultra low latency RMTP). I might wait until someone else tries it. I'm not worried about 50i, I a progressive person most of the time, being more a computer screen caster :)

Yet to see anyone do SRT decoding on an Raspberry PI (might not be possible), but it was an AWESOME low latency RTMP Player. Easy to replace, uses very little power, with the right image on the SD Card was a reliable box to send to someone to play a video stream. It used very little CPU to decode as well, since it's graphics chip did most of the work. I was using PI 2.

Maybe someone will get a PI 4 doing SRT display, that would be nice.
Eric Pratt  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 1, 2020 5:56:23 AM(UTC)
Eric Pratt

United States

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I did a video on how to use these with vMix as a decoder. Here's the video:

The part with the decoder is towards the end.