logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mashynewie2  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2019 9:29:06 PM(UTC)
mashynewie2

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 33 post(s)
I setup SRT on vMix then opened the SRT stream on VLC and there was a latency of 2 seconds.

I set the latency to 10ms on vMix

I've got low latency capture ticked on vMix performance.

I've got cache set to 1ms on VLC

Any ideas?
admin  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 27, 2019 12:37:29 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
VLC is not really designed for low latency, so I am not sure what additional caching it is adding or if it is even possible to change.
Testing from vMix to vMix is the best way to determine if there is another issue at play here.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
Speegs  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2019 5:18:25 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
I've had no luck with VLC, I can get it to work, but experienced the same kind of problem. The latency is always 1 second or more with all the settings I tried. I tried a few versions of VLC, but all seemed to behave the same. Only tested with Windows versions.

4. something beta
3.09 which seems to be some night build.
3.06 which seems to be the version right now that is the proper release.

All didn't work well with SRT.

Vmix <--> Vmix works properly.

If I find a solution I will post back here, anyone else finds one please share your info on how to make it go right.
xjhdtv  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2019 12:13:08 AM(UTC)
xjhdtv

China

Originally Posted by: Speegs Go to Quoted Post
I've had no luck with VLC, I can get it to work, but experienced the same kind of problem. The latency is always 1 second or more with all the settings I tried. I tried a few versions of VLC, but all seemed to behave the same. Only tested with Windows versions.

4. something beta
3.09 which seems to be some night build.
3.06 which seems to be the version right now that is the proper release.

All didn't work well with SRT.

Vmix <--> Vmix works properly.

If I find a solution I will post back here, anyone else finds one please share your info on how to make it go right.

Maybe use MediaLooks SDK(ML SDK) test.

I used mplatform_sdk_2.0.3.11302 successfully implemented ML SDK application pull vMix srt stream. But ML SDK push stream to vMix still failed.

And I downloaded the source code from https://github.com/Haivision/srt and successfully compiled srt-live-transmit.exe file in windows environment, and used srt-live-transmit.exe to pull the stream of vMix. The same srt-live-transmit.exe push to vMix is unsuccessful, based on the srt-live-transmit.exe status display function, vMix has been successfully connected to the program, and have data flow, but vMix is dark and nothing.
nakedeye  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2019 7:26:42 AM(UTC)
nakedeye

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Maybe a dumb suggestion but did you add SRT as an input? If you had already created an SRT input try refreshing it. I have had no video appear in an SRT input on several occasions until I refreshed it or created a new one, after that the stream came in just fine. Hope you get it sorted.
Speegs  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2019 2:21:50 PM(UTC)
Speegs

This was using Vmix to produce the SRT Stream.

Then VLC to play the SRT Stream. With an srt:// url in VLC and the appropriate IP address and port. So no option there for an input.
Shilon  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2019 11:11:46 PM(UTC)
Shilon

Israel

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
how do you open SRT in VLC from vMix?..

caller, listener, Rendezvous?

SRT://IP:port ?..

VLC on Mac\Windows

Which version of VLC?

vMix to vMix is working ok..
Speegs  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2019 12:56:16 PM(UTC)
Speegs

On Windows:

Media --> Open Network Stream

Then the URL:

srt://10.0.0.1:5000

10.0.0.1 would be the IP and 5000 the port.

Of course those could be anything.

SRT is UDP so keep that in mind on your firewalls and you may struggle using the same machine as a caller and a listener as Vmix has mentioned.

When I test Vmix is usually a listner and VLC a caller.

Or I use Vmix as a Caller --> Streaming Server as Listner.

A Streaming Sever can do many things, it's complex but ultimately it can relay to another SRT Caller (or many) or PUSH to another SRT Listener (eg: an edge streaming server).

Or it can take the SRT and switch it to another format (or I should say container, to be precises as it doesn't re-encode the video). Eg: HLS, SLDP, RTMP etc.. Web streaming protocols where you typically have hundreds or thousands of viewers.

This link explains a bit about what you can do later: https://blog.wmspanel.co...ort-nimble-streamer.html your imagination and the software available is really the limit (I've read it many times and replicated most of that setup with Vmix as the SRT Caller). Mostly people want to use SRT Point to Point. Or to some streaming server which will do more with it.

thanks 1 user thanked Speegs for this useful post.
Shilon on 11/27/2019(UTC)
ocalaf_unitecnic  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2020 5:27:56 AM(UTC)
ocalaf_unitecnic

Spain

Does anybody found any particular settings in vmix or vlc to get less than 2-3s of latency? Any place where I can reduce the buffer for SRT or any special command to allow less caching in vlc and get a more "realtime" output stream/multiviewer?

Are there any other options to get a "faster" multiview stream? Other protocols, NDI, external SW or HW encoders?

If anyone got any stable solution to get almost a "realtime" point to point stream (or even better if two different viewers can view this output simultaneously) would be great to know more about your setup or to get some advice.
thanks 1 user thanked ocalaf_unitecnic for this useful post.
migrif on 4/1/2020(UTC)
ocalaf_unitecnic  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2020 7:50:20 PM(UTC)
ocalaf_unitecnic

Spain

The default settings in VLC are :network-caching=1000 but I don't notice any difference when I use :network-caching=0 or any value lower than 1000 (ms)
Speegs  
#11 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2020 9:45:19 AM(UTC)
Speegs

VLC 3.0.11 32 bit for Windows, I can now seem to get as low as 500-800ms latency.

:network-caching seems to need to be about 150ms to 300ms on VLC to play. Otherwise you just get a still frame.

So I think about 200ms might be a safe setting and what I used for this test.

In my setup I was going Vmix (Gold Coast) --> Stream Server (Sydney) with 100ms SRT Latency sent --> Stream Server VLC Player with SRT latency option set at 300ms on the server.

Total Latency was about 0.740 seconds on that configuration.

From what I can see you can adjust the SRT latency in Vmix and from the streaming server to go lower latency, of course as you drive latency down SRT will not work as well, so you have to be careful about how low you go and keep in mind the ping times between all hops/parties.

In this case I was using a server in between as I intend to stream to many people not just a single person, but of course you would be safe going lower in a point to point scenario. VLC has improved as an SRT player. So much so I think it's usable.

For me setting the network-caching too low on VLC just wasn't working out, it just needs to have some caching and zero is not an option.