logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ProSonas  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 3, 2019 4:10:27 PM(UTC)
ProSonas

Groups: Registered
Man
Denmark

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
After watching the launch of Microsoft's new Surface lineup, my mind kept spinning.

The Microsoft Surface X + BlackMagic Atem Mini = a SUPER compact setup for many types of productions.

The Surface X, though, is run by an ARM processor.

I'm not sure if Surface Pro X is considered to be above or below the Surface Pro 7 in terms of performance, but would vMix able to run on a device, like the Pro X?
KJ4AWR  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2019 10:54:36 AM(UTC)
KJ4AWR

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
As the Pro X runs an ARM processor there would need to be a recompile of vMix to run on ARM for it to get the best performance. If it's not recompiled there would be a performance hit, even if only slight, in running an x86 program on ARM.
I believe that vMix is a 64bit program only. This is also important because currently, though it probably will change in the future, 64bit x86 programs will not run on ARM Windows, only 32bit programs. This means that the only way vMix will work will be if they recompile the program to be ARM native.

This was one of the first things I thought of when I saw this new Surface, to use with vMix, but I don't think it's going to be the best solution right now.
I have used the Surface Pro 2 and Pro 4 as a super portable vMix station, and I will probably stick with getting the Surface Pro 7 to continue.