logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stefan svanstrom  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 3, 2019 5:00:38 AM(UTC)
stefan svanstrom

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello i am looking for a new affordeble proceessor for our next build

we are now using the old 7700k
but wants to upgrade

9900x is a litle pricy, so what performance
can you get out of a 9800x ?

stefan svanstrom  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 4, 2019 10:19:22 PM(UTC)
stefan svanstrom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
No one thats using 9800x ??
jacklavey  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2019 12:42:24 PM(UTC)
jacklavey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
hey, sorry just now seeing this. I couldn't get the 9800x at the time of my last 44 pcie lane based build but I am using the 9820x and it has been well worth the money. I have 3 8 channel blackmagic capture cards and a 10GB nic in this machine and it hasn't skipped a beat.

Are their any specific things you are looking to do.

if you don't need as many lanes, i'm running the 28 pcie lane 7800x in my on the go build with an 8 channel and a 4 channel sdi capture card.
that machine is capable of handling all of the sdi..usually doing 10 in and 2 out, I've had upwards of 8 NDI sources (4 in 4 out) going, 3 video lists, usually a 4th video list for music tracks, 4 different graphic on my overlays, 2 to 3 picture in picture compositions with complex hotkeys to change out the 10 multiview overlays. 4 camera replay, 1 stream, 1 internal record, 2 external renders. Plus an 8 channel focusrite (18i20) interface pulling in 8 mic feeds, and pushing out 2 sub mixes via vmix A and B.

The only thing I would change on this machine to handle these things just a little better would be to upgrade my gtx 1070, and maybe swap my 4 chan SDI capture card for a 10gb nic if i wanted to do more NDI based sources.

But with the 9020x or 9800x, you could have both the heavy sdi captures along with the NDI over a 10gb nic.

the real questions is....what about trying a 64 pcie lane threadripper cpu!! I currenlty have a threadripper build sitting in my shopping cart, i'm just waiting on work to approve...if I end up building that I will definitely post my results.

but all that being said, I don't think you'd regret either the 9800x or the 7800x or the 9820x