logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
eblumberg  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2019 1:50:24 AM(UTC)
eblumberg

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello All -

This has probably been addressed multiple times, but I can't find anything that speaks to my specific need. For budgetary reasons, I want to use an OLDER Laptop (Refurbished) and I am wanting to use NDI cameras for ease of setup for a portable rig that I am building.

What I need to know is if I HAVE to look at Gaming Laptops, or if a Mobile Workstation could handle it. I'm looking at i7 processors (trying to get as close to 3Ghz as possible) ans at least 16Gb RAM.

Most Mobile Workstations seem to have nVidia Quadro cards, where as Gaming laptop have the better GeForce 1050, 1070, etc cards for gaming graphics.

Will that be the bottleneck, the Graphics card? I could understand if it is, I just need to know. I can get a Mobile Workstation for around Half the cost of a Gaming laptop with similar specs, and I want to know if all the bells and whistles of a Gaming laptop is really necessary.

As I mentioned, I want to run all NDI cameras because being able to run a POE Switch, and a single Ethernet cable out to each cameras for power, signal, and control is ideal. Will that play into this at all? I would think running NDI would be less stress on the machine because it's not relying on the hardware for video capture.

Please and thank you in advance for any help you can give. If I'm off base, I want to know.

Thanks again
IanM  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2019 5:38:55 PM(UTC)
IanM

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

You can get a better system for the money on a workstation, but we prefer the portability of a laptop. We use a Dell XPS laptop which has an nVidia 1050 chip in it, driving the Blackmagic Ultrastudio for key and fill out. Primary feature of either would be a good, then plenty of memory.