logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
IanM  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2019 7:16:12 PM(UTC)
IanM

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

I am using the web editor to prepare name straps for the competitors in a race. The strap has their Name, Country code and a flag image. At the moment I update them using a spreadsheet, but would like to update using the web interface. I can type in the country code as text, but cannot browse to the image, as you would using the Title Editor.

Is there any script I can use to connect the correct flag image?

desmar  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2019 7:41:52 PM(UTC)
desmar

Man
Canada

Was thanked: 80 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Take a look at GitHub - worlds flags in SVG and PNG It might help you.

Originally Posted by: IanM Go to Quoted Post
I am using the web editor to prepare name straps for the competitors in a race. The strap has their Name, Country code and a flag image. At the moment I update them using a spreadsheet, but would like to update using the web interface. I can type in the country code as text, but cannot browse to the image, as you would using the Title Editor.

Is there any script I can use to connect the correct flag image?

IanM  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2019 7:45:41 PM(UTC)
IanM

United Kingdom

That's a really useful link, but I don't think it helps in this case
doggy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2019 9:47:34 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
its easy enough using data sources with the country code placeholder wrapped with the file location and IMO the most practical way to change the data by just going through the list and select your competitor . we use a special folder for that just containing all the flag images

in a script i believe you will have to read the content of a textfield (a visually hidden one) which contains the country code and translate that to instuct your image field to load the appropriate flag file

I am actually at a loss as as you state you prepared a list and still wants to manually change using the web interface each individual field
IanM  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2019 9:58:45 PM(UTC)
IanM

United Kingdom

I'm in a small OB truck so not much room for large or second screens to have spreadsheet and vMix interface showing at the same time. The vMix operator is quite busy. I thought it might be an easier option to have someone using the Web Interface via wifi. They can watch the competitors as they cross the line and would update the graphic showing the finishing order. However, they cannot set the image in a strap this way. We would have to have created straps for every competitor and that would give us a list of fifty or more in the interface; a little too much to sort through.

I agree though, that the spreadsheet system works well most of the time.

I'll look into that visually hidden field.

Thanks
doggy  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2019 10:13:17 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

IMO i believe you need to brush up on using data sources
Load the whole list of all the competitors in the datasources open it up (as it only needs to contain the name and the country code you can have it in a very narrow window, we do this all the time) and just select the name from the list , no need for the flag file location to be in the datasource list as the code is enough and as said can be wrapped in the title data source format field
as for remote control , there are many options to go through the list from webshortcut, regular shortcut, streamdecks etc to advance through the list

just use your spreadsheet to create your list initially , after that you dont need it anymore ( unless you want to edit items ) . We do hundreds of participants this way with more info needed but to select from the list we only need to see the name
IanM  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 3:54:40 AM(UTC)
IanM

United Kingdom

You're making me work hard for this answer. Probably good for me. I indeed need to edit the items to include place number and the subheading text for their particular place. I now understand what you were saying about the code being wrapped and that is the breakthrough. Thankyou. I can now do without the browsing for images.

Using the data source is still a bit awkward if trying to use the web interface, but I shall continue to research. I've used data sources on many systems, so it's just a case of working out how in this case.
doggy  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 4:33:53 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Quote:
You're making me work hard for this answer.

Sorry ;-)

From what i understand of your goal one could also use both ways , like only have certain fields related to the datasource and others manually through the web interface.(you didnt mention placings and subheadings text before)

I assume the placings will be chronological input as you mentioned pointing marking an athlete at arrival so you could have a shortcut that just adds a value(placing) for example

I'll be honest , I still work a lot with the classical xaml titles as i can put formulas in the back coding to automate even more as just like you there is just not enough time (nor screen estate) to go start looking in a list (often create a little external app to automate even further of make input easier, but very sport element specific

While a lot can be achieved strait from within vMix , using its capabilities from outside ( and userfriendly) is often beneficial , granted it demands a bit of more prepping but once you have it it can be used over and over again

BTW , we never create the lists ourselves but get them from the event , we might tweak the columns a bit (or check the country codes and if we have all the flags etc) to match out titles but not going to enter manually hundreds of names and extras ;-)

The fun part of it all it to find a easy workflow that works for you demanding a bit of brainstorming and thinking outside the box ;-).
IanM  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 4:46:49 PM(UTC)
IanM

United Kingdom

Just an explanation of what @doggy was suggesting...

I have a spreadsheet of name, country code for each of the contestants. My graphic has text fields for these and also a flag image. When setting up the data source for the graphic, the column in the spreadsheet for each of the text fields would be the name of the column of data and the format as default '{0}'. For the flag the Column entry would be the country code column name and the Format entry would be 'C:/flags/{0}.png', assuming all my flags are in that directory.

It doesn't solve my Web Interface problem but helps in other situations. I can select particular contestants in the Data Source Manager list, to update the graphic. I can use Revert to add them to my web list, but when using Apply to bring them back in, the flags are not linked to the country code text field. I might try a custom solution next.
doggy  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:16:44 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

as an extra , scripting might help with your web Interface for the flags again if the flag images are in a specific location

the script can read the value of a (hidden) Textfield and translate that to the image that needs to be displayed

something like:

Quote:

Code:
dim i As string = ""

i  = Input.Find("mytitle").Text("Message.Text") 
i = "D:/Folder/" & i & ".png"

API.Function("SetImage",Input:="mytitle",Value:=i)

havent figured out how to specify which image in the title in case of multiple , the Image placeholder variable/name like in a shortcut doesn't take :-( so will be the first one in the list this way
thanks 1 user thanked doggy for this useful post.
tomaszek117 on 1/6/2020(UTC)
IanM  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:25:05 AM(UTC)
IanM

United Kingdom

Cool. The API has this function,

http://127.0.0.1:8088/API/?Function=SetImage&Input=1&SelectedName=Flag.Source&Value=c:/flags/CAN.png

Where Input=1 is for the first input source.

So I assume there is a way of passing 'SelectedName' for the particular image. I have just been testing by sending the whole url.
doggy  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:32:12 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Yes, That's it :-)

API.Function("SetImage",Input:="mytitle",SelectedName:="FromPhoto.Source",Value:=i )

Used a social title here that i renamed the input for

will have to make the script loop to continuously check for the text change
thanks 1 user thanked doggy for this useful post.
ryanlehms on 8/15/2019(UTC)
IanM  
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:36:43 AM(UTC)
IanM

United Kingdom

So, are you adding these calls as a shortcut? I was thinking of just programming a separate web page. Similar to the Web Interface, but to my requirements.

I haven't used the API.Function yet.
IanM  
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:42:25 AM(UTC)
IanM

United Kingdom

I see it now...
doggy  
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:48:42 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

I am not adding them anywhere :-)

just because you insisted on having to update the display from a web interface i looked for a way to automate the change if the country image other than i am used to (never use the webinterface and typing)
Other than that my instructions mostly come from external apps (vb.net) specifically (and yes they use http request to send the instructions to vMix ) but mostly i pull my data and control it from a datasource list. the less typing the better (no time anyway) as we need to control the camera also , for scores those are shortcuts or buttons in an app or better yet a stream deck tied to it all
Often not even from a OBS truck (the luxury lol) but often from a chair with a single laptop on a stand ;-)
But hey each ones procedures are different because the job/sport requires it ;-)
IanM  
#16 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:48:55 AM(UTC)
IanM

United Kingdom

If you have a number of images, such as player faces, you can use SelectedIndex=3 eg instead of SelectedName, so can use in a loop.
IanM  
#17 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:50:10 AM(UTC)
IanM

United Kingdom

Love streamdeck!
doggy  
#18 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:50:53 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

yes (on the selectedindex)