logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
laurens  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2019 6:04:00 PM(UTC)
laurens

Groups: Registered
Netherlands

Hello everyone,

In my vMix Preset, I recursively reuse overlays in another overlay but seem to encounter invisible TEXT/XAML element when they are added to an overlay.
Here is a description of the case's Preset:
  1. There is the TEXT/XAML input named "4 Score" (containing the score information in the right-top corner).
  2. There is the TEXT/XAML input named "3 Main" (containing the red box). IMPORTANT NOTE: This input has overlay 1 set to the input "4 Score"
  3. There is the COLOR input named "Rf1". This input has overlay 1 set to the input "3 Main".
  4. There is the COLOR input named "Rf2" This input has overlay 1 set to the input "2 Ref1". ISSUE: The TEXT/XAML from Score is not showing

example_preset.zip (10kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
preset_case.png (167kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

Does anyone know why this is happening?
Is there a way to overcome or bypass this issue? (preferably while remaining the Preset input structure)

Kind regards,
A fellow vMixer
doggy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2019 7:16:31 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
Don't know what the issue might be ( and can be replicated) but i wonder why you just don't use the same overlay(3) on input 1 and 2 instead
vmixgreg  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2019 8:51:44 PM(UTC)
vmixgreg

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Hi laurens,

This is a limitation for performance reasons within vMix, the number of layers deep you can go with the Input MultiView is limited to two, otherwise, these layers would need to be pre-rendered, which would impact vMix's ability to perform optimally.

I hope that helps to clarify.

vMixGreg
thanks 1 user thanked vmixgreg for this useful post.
doggy on 7/24/2019(UTC)
laurens  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2019 10:07:30 PM(UTC)
laurens

Netherlands

Originally Posted by: doggy Go to Quoted Post
Don't know what the issue might be ( and can be replicated) but i wonder why you just don't use the same overlay(3) on input 1 and 2 instead

I am working on an automated system that updates several inputs.
The example preset was just a simplification and replication of the issue.

Here is another example that contains more detail of the original project:

Project structure (see image below):
  1. There is the TEXT/XAML input named "7 Score" (containing the score information in the right-top corner).
  2. There is the TEXT/XAML input named "6 Main" (containing the red box). IMPORTANT NOTE: This input has overlay 1 set to the input "7 Score"
  3. There is the COLOR input named "3 View 1". This input has overlay 1 set to the input "6 Main".
  4. There is the TEXT/XAML input named "2 View 2".
  5. There is the COLOR input named "1 Result" This input has overlay 1 set to the input "View 1" and overlay 2 set to input "View 2". ISSUE: The TEXT/XAML from Score is not showing

preset_case_2_marked_issue.png (211kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

Automated flow (see image below):

Case 1: System view 2 to be active
1. (On custom software trigger) Api vMix function "Cut" will be called to start input "3 View 2"
2. (vMix trigger "OntransitionIn") vMix Trigger will enable overlay 2, so only "View 2" is visible in input "1 Result"

Case 2: System wants view 1 to be active
2. (custom software trigger) Api vMix function "Cut" will be called to start input "2 Result" (This step is a trick to ensure triggers will always work for input "2 view 1" or "3 view 2" when transition is called, because if input "2 View 1" is active it can't transition when "Cut" is called and won't trigger. There is no visual disruption because "1 Result" shows the same as "View 1")
3. Step 1 + 2 from Case 1 for "View 1"

preset_case_2_marked_proces.png (119kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

Project idea:
Radio software updates its playlist.
The automation reads the playing item and updates View 1 and View 2.
View 1 - Would be the view for the current playing item information
View 2 - Would be the view for the current playing item information, when it has a video
"View 1" and "View 2" will be set with an overlay for a FALLBACK and an UI input (these would be named "FALLBACK_[typeOfPlaylistItem]" and "UI _[typeOfPlaylistItem]"). Note: typeOfPlaylistItem is like music or commercial
The automation will trigger the "OnTransitionIn" by calling "Cut" on input "View 1" or "View 2".
laurens  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2019 10:23:02 PM(UTC)
laurens

Netherlands

Originally Posted by: vmixgreg Go to Quoted Post
Hi laurens,

This is a limitation for performance reasons within vMix, the number of layers deep you can go with the Input MultiView is limited to two, otherwise, these layers would need to be pre-rendered, which would impact vMix's ability to perform optimally.

I hope that helps to clarify.

vMixGreg

Isn't there any way I can bypass it, or change something so it does work.
doggy  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2019 11:26:17 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
WOW where/what are input 4 and 5 now ? and i stopped trying to figure out your goal right there

hope you realize that:
-a shortcut can do several functions at once
-same with triggers
-also one can put them all in one input ( multilayer ) and activate/deactivate individual layers
-one can make them all in one title (easier to configure their updating ( change of displayed data) in which one can also code what to do with individual parts ( xaml titles, has been addressed in this forum)

laurens  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2019 5:37:29 PM(UTC)
laurens

Netherlands

WOW where/what are input 4 and 5 now?

I am sorry for the confusion.

When creating a new (more complete version) example Preset I appended the original example then edited a little.
Here is a simpel changelog:

(New) "1 Result"
(New) "2 View 1"
(New) "3 View 2"
"1 ref1" = "4 ref1" (now hidden, because replaced by "1 Result"
"2 ref2" = "5 ref2" (now hidden, because replaced by "2 View 1"
"3 Main" = "6 Main"
"4 Score" = "7 Score"

and I stopped trying to figure out your goal right there

I removed the goal part in my last post and replaced it with the idea of the project.
This is hopefully more clear.

hope you realize that:
-a shortcut can do several functions at once
-same with triggers
-also one can put them all in one input ( multilayer ) and activate/deactivate individual layers
-one can make them all in one title (easier to configure their updating ( change of displayed data) in which one can also code what to do with individual parts ( xaml titles, has been addressed in this forum)

I wasn't aware of the shortcuts, but they don't seem to be of any interest to me.

The possibilities with triggers and layers are both clear to me.
The reason for using a "1 Result" input (or "1 ref1" in my first example) is to support the OnTransitionIn on "2 View 1" or "3 View 2" when the automation changes their content.
If I transition from "2 View 1" to "3 View 2" there is no problem, but if I transition from "2 View 1" to "2 View 1" there is no OnTransitionIn. This would mean the automation has updated the "2 View 1", but the user's defined triggers won't fire.
To fix that issue I first transition to "1 Result" then I transition to "2 View 1" or "3 View 2". Now the OnTransitionIn does fire.
Don't worry about repeating transition visual, because I am using the "Cut" transition.