logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ElBurrito  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2019 7:09:35 AM(UTC)
ElBurrito

Groups: Registered

I haven't really looked much into laptops with Vmix until the last couple days when I decided I wanted to build a sports streaming set up I can use in cases where I may be far away from shore power and won't be able to use a generator either.

Basically I just need to know if a laptop set up will be able to handle what I want it to-

Four or five camera input switching and four camera replay at 1080p60. No recording or streaming on that main laptop. I'll output to a LiveU Solo for streaming and to an Atomos Ninja Flame for recording (also used as announcers video monitor).

I'll have a second laptop. It will be used for a few things- Scoreboard OCR sent via NDI to the main laptop, Mumble server for wireless comms (over LAN), run Vmix and send program to it via NDI from main laptop for second recording (redundancy).

Would that set up be able to handle all that? All devices plugged into something like this- https://www.amazon.com/d...amp;ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it for power so I don't need to be tied down to shore power or gas generator.

I was going to use a Decklink Duo 2 in an enclosure for the inputs, but I do need two outputs (to recorder and LiveU Solo), so could I attach two cheaper HDMI capture cards via USB to output to the recorder and Solo? If I do five cameras I'll need more anyway so could get a Decklink Quad and configure it to five inputs and five outputs...
jacklavey  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2019 7:08:35 AM(UTC)
jacklavey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
the smallest lightweight VMIX latptop we've been testing is the HP Omen 15 v2 (smaller form factor) with the 4k screen option and 1060 gpu.

we've done a few 5 camera shows (mix of NDI and blackmagic/external pcie to thunderbolt boxes), and some single source replay (mostly due to sending this kit to 1 man band scenarios). If I get a chance I'll test how well it does running 4 camera sources for replay with 2 operators and a second monitor attached.

I really like this computer a lot but build quality wise I'm not sure how well it will hold up compared to its bigger brother 17in versions. That being said, the bigger brothers I have require 230 and 330 watt power supplies (omen 17, and Omen X 17) the 15in varient I think has a 130watt power supply.

All that being said, My producers love the 15in version the best because of how lightweight and far more portable it is. Fits much more comfortably in a backpack, and the power supply isn't too massive. Plus having the majority of the main ports on the back of the computer is a huge plus...I connect 2 external screens (hdmi and displayport out), ethernet, my USB 3.0 Audio interface, and my thunderbolt all to the back of the device. The only thing I don't like is the power port being kind of thin and on the side instead of the back. I worry about that breaking off getting knocked over or something in the future.

Also, will you be producing out of vehicle by chance? we produce out of rental cars and uhauls a lot and run 1500watt inverters connected to the car battery (aligator clip leads) with the vehicle running sometimes as a generator. 1500watt inverter is only like 120$-150$
ElBurrito  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2019 6:02:07 AM(UTC)
ElBurrito

Originally Posted by: jacklavey Go to Quoted Post
the smallest lightweight VMIX latptop we've been testing is the HP Omen 15 v2 (smaller form factor) with the 4k screen option and 1060 gpu.

we've done a few 5 camera shows (mix of NDI and blackmagic/external pcie to thunderbolt boxes), and some single source replay (mostly due to sending this kit to 1 man band scenarios). If I get a chance I'll test how well it does running 4 camera sources for replay with 2 operators and a second monitor attached.

I really like this computer a lot but build quality wise I'm not sure how well it will hold up compared to its bigger brother 17in versions. That being said, the bigger brothers I have require 230 and 330 watt power supplies (omen 17, and Omen X 17) the 15in varient I think has a 130watt power supply.

All that being said, My producers love the 15in version the best because of how lightweight and far more portable it is. Fits much more comfortably in a backpack, and the power supply isn't too massive. Plus having the majority of the main ports on the back of the computer is a huge plus...I connect 2 external screens (hdmi and displayport out), ethernet, my USB 3.0 Audio interface, and my thunderbolt all to the back of the device. The only thing I don't like is the power port being kind of thin and on the side instead of the back. I worry about that breaking off getting knocked over or something in the future.

Also, will you be producing out of vehicle by chance? we produce out of rental cars and uhauls a lot and run 1500watt inverters connected to the car battery (aligator clip leads) with the vehicle running sometimes as a generator. 1500watt inverter is only like 120$-150$

That would be cool if you could test four camera replay. I wouldn't ever be running it out of a car but desolate small town sports fields. I was looking at 17" models due to the bigger screen, but that is a big difference in power needed between 15" and 17." Makes me wonder how long that Rockpals charger I linked could run one of those puppies. The Acer Helios 500 (230w power supply) I was looking at has a 4810mah battery and supposedly will last a little over an hour on heavy load. That Rockpals 250w charging station is 64,000mah so I guess it would do fine.

I saw those HP Omen laptops so I'll check those out also.
jacklavey  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2019 4:27:46 AM(UTC)
jacklavey

Man
United States

There are some really good deals on the 15' omen laptops right now. This week we'll be putting the 15" 1060 omen through heavy paces seeing how far we can push it, how many inputs we can get into it (ndi and sdi) as well as 4 cam replay. Hoping to also start testing out some of the New Razer Blade 15' advanced laptops (gtx 2060) in a month or so. Price is much steeper but I'm thinking that aluminum macbook style chassis may last longer over time vs the plastic shells of some of the other gaming laptops.

really looking forward to seeing someone test the new alienware m51 with full desktop GPU and CPU. it will probably be a while before I get my hands on one of those.

look for results from here later next week
thanks 1 user thanked jacklavey for this useful post.
mgrayeb on 4/13/2019(UTC)
dmwkr  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2019 2:36:57 AM(UTC)
dmwkr

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 107 post(s)
There are some really good deals on the 15' omen laptops right now. This week we'll be putting the 15" 1060 omen through heavy paces seeing how far we can push it, how many inputs we can get into it (ndi and sdi) as well as 4 cam replay. Hoping to also start testing out some of the New Razer Blade 15' advanced laptops (gtx 2060) in a month or so. Price is much steeper but I'm thinking that aluminum macbook style chassis may last longer over time vs the plastic shells of some of the other gaming laptops.

really looking forward to seeing someone test the new alienware m51 with full desktop GPU and CPU. it will probably be a while before I get my hands on one of those.

look for results from here later next week

Jack,

have you ever been able to run the tests on the Omen 15 with the 4 cam replay setup? I would be really curious about your findings! :-)

Thank you!
jacklavey  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2019 4:02:09 PM(UTC)
jacklavey

Man
United States

Hey, sorry I've been out for a while. the 1060 based omen 15 does struggle a bit, but our versions with either 1070, or 2060 and up do really well with 4 cam replay.

in terms of laptops, I've been testing a variation of Razers lately and one thing I would recommend is not to mess with laptops that have intel optimus integrated graphics. I've had nothing but massive issues dealing with the machine not being able to be set to only use the rtx 2060. I've been researching laptops lately like the acer predators that have a Mux switch, but in all honesty, after messing with the razers, I highly recommend the Omen laptops. That team building those within HP have really put something together that just works really smoothly and in terms of updating hardware components, the HP support software is just really good and really easy to use.
thanks 2 users thanked jacklavey for this useful post.
dmwkr on 8/22/2019(UTC), NewsworthyVision on 10/7/2019(UTC)
dmwkr  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2019 6:04:59 PM(UTC)
dmwkr

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 107 post(s)
Thanks, Jack, that's really useful information!
samzike  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2019 3:09:07 AM(UTC)
samzike

United States

Thanks for sharing this helpful information. Actually I am huge fan of sports and mostly watch my favorite sports on my android phone. And thanks to sports streaming android apps to make this thing possible.
Barney Box Lane  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2019 9:26:15 PM(UTC)
Barney Box Lane

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 29 post(s)
we've got an omen touchscreen and can't stress how much we don't use the touchscreen even though it sounds like the perfect control board in case you're thinking of trading anything off for that
carlosriosg  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2019 2:46:47 PM(UTC)
carlosriosg

Chile

Hey, sorry I've been out for a while. the 1060 based omen 15 does struggle a bit, but our versions with either 1070, or 2060 and up do really well with 4 cam replay.

in terms of laptops, I've been testing a variation of Razers lately and one thing I would recommend is not to mess with laptops that have intel optimus integrated graphics. I've had nothing but massive issues dealing with the machine not being able to be set to only use the rtx 2060. I've been researching laptops lately like the acer predators that have a Mux switch, but in all honesty, after messing with the razers, I highly recommend the Omen laptops. That team building those within HP have really put something together that just works really smoothly and in terms of updating hardware components, the HP support software is just really good and really easy to use.

Hi Jack, thanks for your guidance

I'm in a similar problem and I want to see if you can help me
I have 3 PTZ cameras connected to vMix by network cable in RTSP protocol, through a TP-Link PoE TL-PoE150S Gigabit Ethernet. Now I need to choose a good laptop. My options are between:

Acer Predator Helios 500 - 17.3 "Gaming Laptop Intel Core i9-8950HK 2.9GHz - NVIDEA GeForce 1070 8GB - 16GB Ram 2TB HDD 512GB SSD Windows 10 Home (Refurbished Certified)

and

Omen by HP 2019 15-Inch Gaming Laptop, Intel i7-9750H Processor, NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 GB, 32 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, VR Ready, Windows 10 Home (15-dc1047nr, Black)

In addition to the 3 cameras by RTSP, I would like to have a repetition of 1 or 2 cameras, record the final in MP4 and also be able to send to YouTube.

What laptop would you recommend me?

I hope you can advise me, not to lose money.

Thank you
jacklavey  
#11 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2019 12:29:06 PM(UTC)
jacklavey

Man
United States

Hey Carlos,

Honestly I would go with the Omen. I agree with Barney Box Lane, touch screen functionality has never been useful to us either, but the omen's just run so well I'm almost tired of testing other brands. The thing that makes it most worth it to me as dumb as it sounds is the "HP support center" app baked into the omen. This puts all your hardware updated in one place minus the graphics card which is still under Geforce. Soundcard, wifi card, motherboard, cpu, all of the random hardware updates.

I have to deploy these machines to "windows noobs" if you will, and if the machine doesn't just "work" right, then it becomes a mess for me as support. The Omen Laptops have all just worked...if you go HDMI out to a blackmagic switcher or monitor, or multiple monitors, it just does what you want...any other machines I've worked with (especially ones with optimus graphics) I feel like I always end up fighting with somehow. The only other machines I haven't had issues with are the ones that I personally built.

I haven't had a chance to test the new 2019 Omen laptops yet, but I think because they are such a small team building these doing much smaller runs than other major brands, they can put a lot more care and attention into their products. If I'm not mistaken they are still one of the only gaming laptop builders that use liquid metal for their thermal cooling (there may be one other brand now doing it, but up until 6 months ago it was just Omen).

and no, I don't work for Omen lol. If you end up going with the Predator though, definitely let us know how it is.

I think the next laptops I'll be testing are the new Elektronics laptops that Intel are building, and some of the Asus Rog line maybe.