logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pesi  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 9:12:31 AM(UTC)
pesi

Groups: Registered
Man
Canada

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I am being forced to use a venue's regular WiFi connection to stream an event - they claim an upload speed of 21 mbps upload (questionable).
So can I use my own laptop's WiFi to stream?

Both my laptops (the encoding laptop as well as the presentation capture laptop) have wifi but I'm wondering how/if this setup would work.
Would I be able to capture the NDI from the presenter's laptop via the wifi and also stream out from the main laptop (which of course is connected to cameras)

Has anyone have any experience with a setup like this?
Using WiFi to live stream makes me very nervous and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Mari  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 3:03:45 PM(UTC)
Mari

Netherlands

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
If you have the hardware, just try at home if/how it works...
Barney Box Lane  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 2, 2019 7:31:44 PM(UTC)
Barney Box Lane

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 29 post(s)
be prepared for it not to work and plug the audio straight into the other laptop if you can
mgrayeb  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 2, 2019 10:01:24 PM(UTC)
mgrayeb

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
One approach you might consider if you're concerned about NDI working is to start a Zoom.us meeting from the encoding/streaming laptop and then have the presenter's laptop join that same meeting (using a Google Chrome or Firefox browser). Then, the presenter's laptop can choose to "share" its desktop (or a specific application like PowerPoint). You can also bring in a camera source (e.g. via a USB capture card) onto that laptop, and bring in clean audio (e.g. from the sound board to a USB audio dongle) to that laptop. Then choose each of those sources as the video and audio source respectively for that laptop in the Zoom meeting. If you're bringing both a camera and desktop share on the Presenter's laptop, then you'll need two separate monitors to access both of those on the encoding/streaming laptop (one to desktop capture the presenter's video and the other to desktop capture the presenter's screen share).

This approach means the presenter laptop needs about 2mbps upload speed for Zoom and in the Zoom meeting settings you should be able to select HD video as the video setting, thus allowing the presenter's laptop to send up to 720p video (depending on the camera source) to the Zoom meeting as well as the clean desktop share and clean audio.

Thus, you're not using a ton of available bandwidth for the presenter's laptop and keeping more of the available bandwidth for the encoding/streaming laptop to use (assuming it's not on a shared network in the venue).

Would require testing of course to ensure the presenter's laptop can connect to Zoom and that the rest of the above works as well as the relative "reliability" of the WiFi connection and certainly not ideal and not without risk by any standard but it's worked ok for me in the past when I absolutely could not get access to hardwired connection.